Beethoven

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really a big fan of Beethovens works, too "dramatic" (strings just put me on edge) for my tastes - I tend to like the more subtle pieces Debussy, Mozart, Chopin. It's like comparing a "big band" to a "chamber group".

However, I still have a huge respect and appreciation of his works. The fact that he has so many pieces which non classical fans recognise (Symphony No 5, Moonlight Sonata, 9th Symphony, Fur Elise etc) is a testiment to him. I'm sure when composing these pieces he would not in his wildest dreams have imagined his works being mobile phone ring tones!!!!!

Interesting man - but didnt he go a bit crazy before he died (like all composers seemed to)????

Originally posted by Sly77

Interesting man - but didnt he go a bit crazy before he died (like all composers seemed to)????

I think almost all geniuses have had the tendency to go a little troppo at some stage (Ritchie Blackmore going medieval and acoustic, Denis Pagan recruting David Bourke, Pee Wee Herman getting caught having a sherman at the local Shaft complex, etc)... I suppose being as deaf a post would do it to you if you love your music and it's your way of life. :(

no sly77 he wasn't mad - he just started acting more and more eccentrically as his deafness got worse

But he was a sharp operator in his later years, did quite a few shrewd business deals and ended up dying a reasonably wealthy man.

cheers

Originally posted by Sly77
The fact that he has so many pieces which non classical fans recognise (Symphony No 5, Moonlight Sonata, 9th Symphony, Fur Elise etc) is a testiment to him.

He can thank Bugs Bunny for that! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back