Beltings

Remove this Banner Ad

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
One thing that is rather annoying about following Freo is how few thrashings they dish out. In the entire history of the club there have been only 2 100+ point wins - one in 2005 and one in 2013. How many 75 + point wins have there been in the last decade?

All our "good wins" are in 30-40 point margin mark and dont come without a struggle at some stage during a game. How nice would it be to be able to sit back and watch the team romp to a huge in.

Perhaps it is all down to the fact that our forward line has lacked firepower?

Well, Monkey Medhurst put the three-peat Lions to the sword, kicking 9 goals all on his own in a forward line that had Pavlich, Waterhouse, Farmer and Longmuir strolling through it. So we have had firepower. We've just been a little crap more ofthen than not. And when we were dominant, we had a "get in front, shut the gate" game plan/coach who valued the 4 points over the flogging.

One thing that is rather annoying about following Freo is how few thrashings they dish out. In the entire history of the club there have been only 2 100+ point wins - one in 2005 and one in 2013. How many 75 + point wins have there been in the last decade?

All our "good wins" are in 30-40 point margin mark and dont come without a struggle at some stage during a game. How nice would it be to be able to sit back and watch the team romp to a huge in.

Perhaps it is all down to the fact that our forward line has lacked firepower?
I'm glad this was brought up. The 100 point belting in 2005. That was vs Collingwood in WA.

I will say this though. I remember from 2004-13, the dockers had a few memorable wins vs the crows in the old footy park. Most of them were close games.

2004 was memorable as the siren sounded. Dockers were up by 6 points. Pavlich kicked a goal from 55 metres out to win by 12.

We won narrowly on late 2006 during that 9 game winning streak.

We won narrowly late in 2007. It was one of mark Harveys 1st games as coach.

We won again in 2011... Narrowly too.

And in 2013 dockers beat the crows 10.6.66 to 8.11.59.

If the ball is being walked out of the bounce then I can see 100 point wins possible but if the choice is between six goal wins or 100 points with more tickets spent, I'll take the smaller win.

I've heard Victorian based players complaining about feeling the effect of a Perth away game for weeks post, and we have to back that up and up and up and up just to play on the same ground for the final.

But I would like to destroy the Eagles this season with a first half similar to 2015 where we had kicked 100 points to 25 by the 8th minute of the third quarter - except going on with it instead of letting them triple their score in the quarter and a bit following to our total of eight points.

But I would like to destroy the Eagles this season with a first half similar to 2015 where we had kicked 100 points to 25 by the 8th minute of the third quarter - except going on with it instead of letting them triple their score in the quarter and a bit following to our total of eight points.

I remember that game. It was a feature of Ross Lyon football that we would get out to a big lead and concede goals late to turn what was going to be a 10 goal plus win into a 3-5 goal win.
It was all on the premise of protecting players from fatigue and injury prevention. Didn't work as we faded badly that year.

I remember that game. It was a feature of Ross Lyon football that we would get out to a big lead and concede goals late to turn what was going to be a 10 goal plus win into a 3-5 goal win.
It was all on the premise of protecting players from fatigue and injury prevention. Didn't work as we faded badly that year.

Unfortunately we couldn't keep Sam Mitchell's knees away.

Exactly this. The most successful period in Freo's history was under Ross. We had a habit of starting well, getting a big lead and putting the breaks on to kill the match. Otherwise I'm sure we would have a few more 100+ wins.

Is it a big deal though? Those matches aren't memorable. I was at the 100+ win against Collingwood and the best highlight was the mexican wave during the last quarter.

Exactly this. The most successful period in Freo's history was under Ross. We had a habit of starting well, getting a big lead and putting the breaks on to kill the match. Otherwise I'm sure we would have a few more 100+ wins.

Is it a big deal though? Those matches aren't memorable. I was at the 100+ win against Collingwood and the best highlight was the mexican wave during the last quarter.
It is when you're a few goals behind and need a big last quarter to get up.

The great teams thump bad sides.

Mexican wave during the final quarter is a good enough reason not to get 100+ on the opposition.

You'd have to think it had the opposite effect a lot of the time.

Put a team away properly and everyone is going through the motions for the last 20 minutes, but let them come back at you in the last qtr and you suddenly have to play the game out to the end with the opposition still throwing effort at you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the other ✋ hand...

I said this a few times. I was at the infamous round 15 game in 2009 vs the crows. It was a cold wet Saturday night.

Crows won 19.16.130 to 1.7.13. Had it been 4.4.28 or even 3.5.23, you could of said at least 3 or 4 different dockers kicked a goal each.

swans beating the eagles 31.19.205 to 5.4.34 was bad. But if your gonna get beaten by 200 points, at least kick 3-5 goals.

Well, Monkey Medhurst put the three-peat Lions to the sword, kicking 9 goals all on his own in a forward line that had Pavlich, Waterhouse, Farmer and Longmuir strolling through it. So we have had firepower. We've just been a little crap more ofthen than not. And when we were dominant, we had a "get in front, shut the gate" game plan/coach who valued the 4 points over the flogging.
I remember that game too. Absolutely dominated after half time.

Oh and not even Dean Margetts could prevent a dockers win. yep, he was one of the 3 umpires on that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back