Discussion Best Manufacturer

Remove this Banner Ad

Puma and the Hawks have been together for over 30 years, the Eagles and Puma coming up to 25 years...which is why I was surprised when the Swans switched.

Although before 1997 Puma only supplied apparel and boots, didn't make the guernseys.

QBE & Subiaco, 26 years and running. Pretty good for a semi-pro team.

More on topic, it seems that long-term club/manufacturer relationships are generally more short-lived - Gibbsy mentions Bolton and Reebok (though they now have 188Bet too), and looking through Historical Football Kits, this is a rare feat, even among the big 4.

I think we'll find, with mass-media etc and how much money is involved, kit sponsors will stick around for a while - I can't see Man Utd and Nike parting soon.

You fail to realise the connection between Reebok and Bolton. Although HFK is a great source for history buffs, it is still in need of correction. Any Burnley fans of the mid to late 1960's should have noticed.

You fail to realise the connection between Reebok and Bolton. Although HFK is a great source for history buffs, it is still in need of correction. Any Burnley fans of the mid to late 1960's should have noticed.
What is the connection between Reebok and Bolton beyond the kit manufacturer, former shirt sponsor and stadium name?

What is the connection between Reebok and Bolton beyond the kit manufacturer, former shirt sponsor and stadium name?

The company that became eventually Reebok (in 1960) started in the village of Holcombe Brooke to the west of Bolton in 1895. Back then they were known as J.W. Foster & Sons.

Figured it would be something like that, Reebok being English 'n all. Interesting stuff :thumbsu:

The grandsons of the original founder, Joseph William Foster, renamed the company in 1960. Interesting that he started out by just making spiked shoes for runners.
Until a few years ago - probably just after the Reebok Stadium was built - I assumed the company was American in origin.

Puma and the Hawks have been together for over 30 years, the Eagles and Puma coming up to 25 years...which is why I was surprised when the Swans switched.

Although before 1997 Puma only supplied apparel and boots, didn't make the guernseys.

not true, puma supplied guernsey to several clubs during the 1996 AFL centenary season. You can distinguish these jumpers as they have the centenary logo printed into the jumper and is of a slightly different design to the stitched logo on the Sekem guernsey of that period. Collingwood's 1996 pre-season jumper was definitely manufactured by Puma.

not true, puma supplied guernsey to several clubs during the 1996 AFL centenary season. You can distinguish these jumpers as they have the centenary logo printed into the jumper and is of a slightly different design to the stitched logo on the Sekem guernsey of that period. Collingwood's 1996 pre-season jumper was definitely manufactured by Puma.

You're quite correct, don't know why I wrote 1997. Should have written 1996, considering I actually own one of the Puma Centenary player-issues!

DSC05890-1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back