Discussion Best Manufacturer

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 29, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Over the past three or so years the design of AFL jumpers has come along in leaps and bounds. From the way they fit to the materials they are made from. As a casual observer I would say that Puma made the first big move with it's new collar a few years ago which changed the way manufacturers look at jumpers and the once prominent V has just about disappeared.

Now with New Balance entering the scene with yet another design, which style of jumper by which manufacturer do people here think is the best?

If we are going on the look/style of the guernsey, rather than the feel of the cut and materials that I would say Puma, I really do like their collar with Nike being a close second. The shorts stripe of both is also subtle and looks better than the

Adidas had the clear worst last year, the whole template was shocking and made Collingwood look horrible. Not to mention that yellow bib for Adelaide. This year they have improved but the collar still looks pretty bad, matched only by New Balance's collar. New Balance I would say is worse cause I don't like the short stripe either.

As far as the actual fit and feel of the guernsey, I can't really comment as I haven't felt all the different manufacturers, Puma's are very well made though> I have heard bad things about X-Blades though.

If we are going on the look/style of the guernsey, rather than the feel of the cut and materials that I would say Puma, I really do like their collar with Nike being a close second. The shorts stripe of both is also subtle and looks better than the

Adidas had the clear worst last year, the whole template was shocking and made Collingwood look horrible. Not to mention that yellow bib for Adelaide. This year they have improved but the collar still looks pretty bad, matched only by New Balance's collar. New Balance I would say is worse cause I don't like the short stripe either.

As far as the actual fit and feel of the guernsey, I can't really comment as I haven't felt all the different manufacturers, Puma's are very well made though> I have heard bad things about X-Blades though.
That's interesting, IC; I rate what New Balance have done very highly. They've really worked with Melbourne, as seen by the angles and lines that complement the V, and the collar is something different from the now-generic Puma/Reebok/KooGa style.
I'd still rate Nike's gear first, something about their stuff has always shown class and innovation (90's side panels etc.)

I don't really like ISC's template/collar, nor X-blades (must be due for a change?)

So I would say:
Nike
NB
Puma
Reebok
KooGa
adidas
ISC
X-blades

That's interesting, IC; I rate what New Balance have done very highly. They've really worked with Melbourne, as seen by the angles and lines that complement the V, and the collar is something different from the now-generic Puma/Reebok/KooGa style.
I'd still rate Nike's gear first, something about their stuff has always shown class and innovation (90's side panels etc.)

The collar is just Canterbury's rugby translated onto a football guernsey. Made worse by the fact that sleeveless should never have collars. Imagine a singlet with a collar, even worse a popped collar, lol.

The shorts they tried way too hard with, three logos and then that big clunky design just doesn't look good.

Adding the monogram to the socks is a noble idea, however the material and detail of the monogram makes it look like a blue blob on their socks.

The whole Melbourne re-brand just screams trying too hard, to me. The logo is another cluttered mess. They have tried to incorporate every little detail of the history of Melbourne into their re-brand rather than focusing on the main points. They play in the Australian football league, we know they are from Australia, is the southern cross needed? the rules of the game? the football? There is a lot of added things, that, whilst yes they do relate to Melbourne specifically, they are not needed in a branding point of view as they are obvious to the brand.

Someone said it best on this forum and I wish I had the link to the post (as it was pretty funny), but they said something along the lines of the Melbourne board sat down to discuss this brand, they all threw out suggestions, and instead of picking the best they just went with everything. So true.

(I know I am being overly critical, and it isn't that bad to the point it is horrible. The only template I would find horrible is Adidas' however. On that note, Australian Football really does have it right, when you look at some of the templates produced for Rugby and Ass. Football, they really have had some shocking ones.)

This is about the manufacturer, not the team logo. NB have done what they could, and exceeded my expectations for a relatively minor brand.

And about the collar - 50 years ago I'm sure many would have "loled" at the prospect of the no collars and round necks we see today.

I do agree somewhat about the shorts - while most now have the team logo on the side/s, it's sometimes not the whole thing (Eagles, Freo). The monogram would have sufficed here.

This is about the manufacturer, not the team logo. NB have done what they could, and exceeded my expectations for a relatively minor brand.

And about the collar - 50 years ago I'm sure many would have "loled" at the prospect of the no collars and round necks we see today.

I do agree somewhat about the shorts - while most now have the team logo on the side/s, it's sometimes not the whole thing (Eagles, Freo). The monogram would have sufficed here.

I realise that, but it relates, I feel that they have tried to stuff way too much in.

The probably would have laughed, but it was evolution from a standard long sleeve/short sleeve polo shirt, into a sleeveless. The collar remained they just cut off the sleeves. It has since evolved to a more standard style collar, one that suits the cut of the guernsey - sleeveless. Now Melbourne and New Balance has taken a step backwards, to a style that doesn't suit a guernsey imo. Could you imagine people wearing sleeveless polo shirts, you would look like a right tool. Again, I do realise it is a bit of an overreaction, it's just all I can picture in my head is stupid tools with cut off polos and a popped collar with a southern cross tattoo on their arm lol.

I am a little with Smeagle here.
I'll come at it from a different angle, least worst.

Adidas are THE worst as far as I'm concerned.
They have made the club's jumpers, their jumpers in club collars.
The bib, the weird templates with stripes and angles, the reduction in font size of numbers a few years back... I just hate them.
Similarly, Puma has a cut that creates a part of the jumper. Hawthorn's clash comes to mind. The other thing about them is their use of gradients. They designed the urine stain Brisbane jumper, so they're next worst.
Nike have really only been active with one or two at a time, and for the most part, I prefer that. I don't like them either. Someone mentioned the innovation of the side stripes, well, I don't like how it used to cut off the SBS logo on the original Port Home jumpers. Plus those cuffs with North in the 90s where they changed colour; didn't like that either.
Blades make my naughty list on the grounds of the material they use. Have you seen that close up? It's got like a waffle pattern.
ISC, don't like their over-sized collars either.
That New Balance collar is a shocker, but I like how they've worked with Melbourne on the rest of the jumper.

Of the rest, the ones I like best are the ones who do the least of their own stuff, and the most for the club.
To my mind, Reebok is in front, the jumpers generally look good, and more importantly individual to the clubs. Apart from the collar, you wouldn't know one Reebok jumper from the next.
Kooga are quite new, and done nothing to offend me yet.
The rest are generally smaller, one club at a time jobs.

That New Balance collar is a shocker, but I like how they've worked with Melbourne on the rest of the jumper.

I like the collar, but it probably could be a little smaller. I like that it is now unique to Melbourne with the mix of tradition and modern design.

When Melbourne had Asics making their jumpers I thought they were great but the first two years of Reebok were terrible with baggy jumpers that did not fit well. It was only this year that Melbourne got a decent jumper out of Reebok.

Mero;19716969Blades make my naughty list on the grounds of the material they use. Have you seen that close up? It's got like a waffle pattern.[/QUOTE said:
It literally feels like really thick toilet paper. It did on their league jerseys too. The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs saw the light and are now dealing with Canterbury instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It literally feels like really thick toilet paper. It did on their league jerseys too. The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs saw the light and are now dealing with Canterbury instead.

best decription I've heard. Well done sir. thick bog roll.
still amused by that.

I like manufacturers that keep it simple so I don't like NB, Nike or Adidas. I really hate Reebok because, clearly, they haven't got a clue as to what a decent clash jumper looks like. My favourite is definitely Puma, as the collar looks modern and stylish yet the Eagles and Hawks can do whatever they want on their jumpers yet don't have to worry about being obstructed by any sidebars etc.

I personally would like to see a Nike template with out the sidebars etc. I would also like to see Essendon or Collingwood have a clash strip with the adidas three stripes somewhere on the guernseys.

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs saw the light and are now dealing with Canterbury instead.

Makes sense :thumbsu:

For my two cents, I don't like the way that Adidas have stuffed around with our guernsey over the past couple of years. 2008 home has been my favourite so far, not weird collars or striping.
I've always enjoyed Reebok and have nevery really found a problem with them. ISC's oversized collar doesn't really do it for me; KooGa haven't really put a foot wrong and Puma have been a main-stayer for a while but my favourite would still be Nike. I love the triangle collar and have always been a fan of their guernseys.

X-Blades up close is a mess and feels like paper towel and I reckon it would be itchy on the skin. There are better ways of wicking away sweat and moisture - Adidas' ClimaCool and Nike's DriFit both do it well.

Puma player-issues also don't have a tag stitched in the neck - the 'On-field' and size are printed onto the fabric which is far less annoying. Only started happening in 2007. I don't know if other manufacturers do it.

Also Puma player issues have the club's logo printed throughout as a watermark (From 1997 - 1999 it was the AFL logo stitched into the fabric, from 2000 - 2002 they printed the AFL logo then from 2003 - present they're using individual club logos). A nice, subtle attention to detail that I don't believe other manufacturers do.

I love Puma's work. Their jumpers are of a good quality and have one of the best collars. Simple and don't change jumpers to suit themselves (a la Adidas). Their range of polos/caps etc are also great.

As for the worst, Xblades, yuck.

I have heard that Puma Australia's CEO is a mad Hawks fan and that he does not want to let go of us in a hurry, not sure how much truth there is to that.

Haha, woah, really? That's quite lucky. I think the Hawkers and West Coast go perfectly with Puma - it's one of those things, Liverpool and Carlsberg, Man United and Sharpe.. you get used to them, and they just seem right.

Haha, woah, really? That's quite lucky. I think the Hawkers and West Coast go perfectly with Puma - it's one of those things, Liverpool and Carlsberg, Man United and Sharpe.. you get used to them, and they just seem right.

Would add Bolton and Reebok to that list as well. It's been 20 or so years there I think.

QBE & Subiaco, 26 years and running. Pretty good for a semi-pro team.

More on topic, it seems that long-term club/manufacturer relationships are generally more short-lived - Gibbsy mentions Bolton and Reebok (though they now have 188Bet too), and looking through Historical Football Kits, this is a rare feat, even among the big 4.

I think we'll find, with mass-media etc and how much money is involved, kit sponsors will stick around for a while - I can't see Man Utd and Nike parting soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back