"Best of" Cd's...

Remove this Banner Ad

Make sure you get the Chilli Peppers Greatest Hits with the DVD included unlike me who only got the CD version.

No Doubt's new collection is pretty good too.

Originally posted by TheWackedYak

the missus wants a Cure one (does this exist?)

There's a newer one called "The Cure - Greatest Hits". I'm spewing I got it now, as I've just found the DVD set. Which includes 2 cds, the Greatest Hits CD and an Acoustic CD version of that first CD as well as a DVD of the songs. It's around $40 at JB.

B00005S8L8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'll probably end up buying that as well.

There was actually another Cure greatest hits released between Standing on a Beach and the latest one.It featured a kid licking an ice cream on the cover. I can't remembre what it's called but I have it.

Originally posted by Kid Dynamite!
RHCP Greatest Hits is a must have
Or you could just buy the last 4 RCHP albums (which i'm lead to believe are all that is featured on said "best of") and discover how good some of the other tracks are that weren't released as singles?

It is ridiculous that only 2 songs off One Hot Minute got a gig on the compilation.

Originally posted by Carlos
Or you could just buy the last 4 RCHP albums (which i'm lead to believe are all that is featured on said "best of") and discover how good some of the other tracks are that weren't released as singles?

It is ridiculous that only 2 songs off One Hot Minute got a gig on the compilation.

Yeh i own all their stuff, so i have refrained from buying the best of. Although it comes with extra DVD features. May be worth it.

Originally posted by Mog
What I'd like is a greatest hits album to be released without some crappy new tracks to pressure fans to buy it.

There are a ton of Beach Boys greatest hits albums that are released annually by Capitol that have some pretty cool covers but the same old songs just popped into a different order each time, those contain no new tracks because Capitol aren't really that imaginative. ;)

There was one released a while back with the tracks chosen by Brian Wilson, which was nice except it was the same old tracks AGAIN with a rarity stuck on the end........for $40! Fortunately the problem was rectified pretty quickly via the massive 'underground' network that distributes Beach Boys bootlegs (and there are hundreds of those, with original material). So problem over. :D

As for this year, the best of Sheryl Crow, and the best of Wendy Matthews have appeared as gifts, and my sister has the Michael Jackson number ones album or whatever it's called. :p

There are a ton of Beach Boys greatest hits albums that are released annually by Capitol that have some pretty cool covers but the same old songs just popped into a different order each time, those contain no new tracks because Capitol aren't really that imaginative.

I could have sworn that Geroge Thorogood at one point had a half dozen Greatest Hits (all featuring Bad To The Bone studio and live...)and only about two actual albums.

I got the best of Van Morrison last year. I asked for DVD movies this year so hopefully that's what I'll get, with American Beauty and The Green Mile being on top of my wish list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Carlos

Higher Ground is on it which was on their 5th last album. I think the reason its basically only the last 4 albums is because they already released 'What Hits' which had all the old stuff on it

IMO a Chili Peppers Best of should include bugger all pre Blood Sugar anyways.

Its a very good best of, but I think it should have included Aeroplane, Around the World, Can't Stop, Zephyr Song, Sir Psycho Sexy and I could die for You

Originally posted by The_Flying_Egg
Higher Ground is on it which was on their 5th last album. I think the reason its basically only the last 4 albums is because they already released 'What Hits' which had all the old stuff on it

IMO a Chili Peppers Best of should include bugger all pre Blood Sugar anyways.

Its a very good best of
Wasnlt aware Higher Ground was on it.

Even still, if its "a very best of" then it should contain all their best.

No "Knock Me Down"?!?! One of their "very best" songs IMO.

No "Nobody Weird Like Me"?!?! Classic Chilies.

Disappointing.

Curious, what does the accompanying DVD feature?

Originally posted by Mog
I could have sworn that Geroge Thorogood at one point had a half dozen Greatest Hits (all featuring Bad To The Bone studio and live...)and only about two actual albums.

His "LIVE" set from around 1986 is the only one worth getting IMHO. I also have the GT Collection, which isn't bad, but a lot of the better tracks are off the live one.

Originally posted by Mog
What I'd like is a greatest hits album to be released without some crappy new tracks to pressure fans to buy it.

This is when an artist has signed a multi-record deal. Put a couple of new tracks on it and it qualifies as a 'new' album and ticks off one more disc off the deal. No new tracks, and it is not a new album and the artist still owes the record company another album.

Sometimes I buy the best of for a band I really like and have most of the albums anyway and appreciate getting some new tracks and would feel ripped off if there was nothing new. Other times you do feel ripped off having to buy an album to pick up the couple of new B-side quality tracks.

I like the way REM have done it. A 'normal' best of that is cheaper for people who just want that. A few extra bucks more and you can get the package with the bonus CD of rareties which is a bit of a concession to fans with all the albums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back