BFFCL End of Season Survey

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, this is a quick survey just to see where we can take the BFFCL in the future and what can be done to keep this going. If you can answer these questions in this thread. It would be of great help.
If you would like to help out, please consider your time commitments with the SFA as well.

1. Should there by another season? Yes/No
1a. If yes; then which format or combination of formats? Test/OD/T20
2. Did you like the combination of the formats in the one thread? Yes/No
2a. Is there anything that could be improved on in this department? Please explain...
3. What worked this season? Please explain...
4. What didn't work this season? Please explain...
5. Are the any competitions that you would like to see run throughout the BFFCL Season? Fantasy/Tipping/Other...
6. What could benefit or increase the activity within the BFFCL? Please explain...
7. What other boards would be good to recruit from? Please explain...
8. Would you be open to helping out around the BFFCL? Yes/No
8a. If yes, where? Captaining/Match Posting/Statistics/Ladder and Results/Research/Other
9. Anything else I forgot, that you would to add or suggest for the league? Please explain...

There may be more questions to come, as I think of them.... hahah

Calendar for the rest of 2019
Code:
[May]   [SFA]   [IPL]   [BFFCL]
[May]   [SFA]   [IPL]   [BFFCL]
[May]   [SFA]           [BFFCL]
[May]   [SFA]
[May]   [SFA]   [WC]
[June]  [SFA]   [WC]
[June]  [SFA]   [WC]
[June]  [SFA]   [WC]
[June]  [SFA]   [WC]
[July]          [WC]
[July]          [WC]
[July]
[July]
[July]  [SFA]
[Aug]   [SFA]   [ENG]
[Aug]   [SFA]   [ENG]
[Aug]   [SFA]   [ENG]
[Aug]   [SFA]   [ENG]
[Sep]   [SFA]   [ENG]
[Sep]   [SFA]   [ENG]
[Sep]   [SFA]            [JLT]
[Sep]   [SFA]            [JLT]
[Oct]   [SFA]   [BAN]    [JLT]
[Oct]   [SFA]            [JLT]
[Oct]   [SFA]            [FC]
[Oct]   [SFA]   [SRI]    [FC]
[Nov]   [SFA]   [PAK]    [FC]
[Dec]   [SFA]   [PAK]    [FC]
[Dec]   [SFA]   [NZ]     [FC]
[Dec]   [SFA]   [NZ]
[Dec]           [NZ]     [BBL]
[Dec]           [NZ]     [BBL]

Last edited:

1. Should there by another season?
Yes

1a. If yes; then which format or combination of formats?
T20's only

2. Did you like the combination of the formats in the one thread?
No

2a. Is there anything that could be improved on in this department?
Tests and ODI's were slow and boring, T20's were fairly quick (about an SFA match length) and were much more exciting

3. What worked this season?
I'll be honest, not a whole lot

4. What didn't work this season?
The timing of the season was pretty bad. It was when cricket season ended, and also when the SFA/AFL started. Got swept under the rug for me. The length of the Tests and ODI's that I had a look through was way too long as well

5. Are the any competitions that you would like to see run throughout the BFFCL Season?
Needs a much more solid season structure and base of posters before other comps start

6. What could benefit or increase the activity within the BFFCL?
Play a longer T20 season throughout the Australian Summer of Cricket and/or the SFA offseason. This is when posters will be free from SFA commitments and the wider communities interest in cricket is spiked

7. What other boards would be good to recruit from?
SFA. Start up a thread after the Grand Final encouraging people to come and have a look

8. Would you be open to helping out around the BFFCL?
Maybe on school holidays here and there. No big commitments though

8a. If yes, where?
Could probably do some match thread OP's on school holidays

In summary, a longer season made up solely of T20 matches and played only during the SFA off-season and preferably during the Australian Summer of Cricket will encourage people to join and post in the match threads and on the board as a whole. This season is pretty much a write-off, but with some revitalisation and clever planning the next season has the potential to be successful

1. Should there by another season? Yes/No
1a. If yes; then which format or combination of formats? OD/T20
2. Did you like the combination of the formats in the one thread? No
3. What worked this season? Not much.
4. What didn't work this season? The lengths of match threads, the amount of games being posted.
5. Are the any competitions that you would like to see run throughout the BFFCL Season? Fantasy
6. What could benefit or increase the activity within the BFFCL? Not trying to implement too much, maybe remove a team.
7. What other boards would be good to recruit from? Cricket forum
8. Would you be open to helping out around the BFFCL? Yes
8a. If yes, where? Captaining/Match Posting
9. Anything else I forgot, that you would to add or suggest for the league? I'd recommend going back to last season, I felt it was better when it was shorter season.

1. Should there by another season? Yes, it takes time and hard work to get something like this off the ground... lets not quit yet...

1a. If yes; then which format or combination of formats? Test/OD/T20 _ Keep them all for the time being imo

2. Did you like the combination of the formats in the one thread? Yes

2a. Is there anything that could be improved on in this department? The game posters could make sure they post in the right thread! :rolleyes: My silly errors aside, we need reliable administrators not just for posting but for the stats. Enough so that everyone has one job and a back up person.

3. What worked this season? Perhaps if we post one dayers one week and tests the next? Rather than all in rush on one week.

4. What didn't work this season? We had no back-ups for dropouts... :(

5. Are the any competitions that you would like to see run throughout the BFFCL Season?

6. What could benefit or increase the activity within the BFFCL? See 3 maybe... And having reliable statistics to generate individual competition.

7. What other boards would be good to recruit from? Please explain...

8a. If yes, where? Match Posting/Statistics/Ladder and Results

9. Anything else I forgot, that you would to add or suggest for the league? Maybe you could come up with a tiered administration badge to be handed out at the END of the season. Maybe a 'little/minature' something like below, and we could change the background color or the band color on the umpires hat for the number of seasons you put in?
1556916093439.png or 1556916491211.png

1. Should there by another season? Yes
1a. If yes; then which format or combination of formats? OD/T20
No
2a. Is there anything that could be improved on in this department? As much as I love the idea of Tests, they simply take too long to post.
The start of the season. The IPL like draft.
4. What didn't work this season? The biggest issues were poster retention and a lack of activity from those whom stuck around.
5. Are the any competitions that you would like to see run throughout the BFFCL Season? Fantasy. But a solid posting base needs to exist before that.
6. What could benefit or increase the activity within the BFFCL? Running the main part of the season during the SFA off season. Most of the posters here are SFA posters too, and most have more loyalties to the SFA than the BFFCL. If the seasons don't clash as much, I think posting numbers would go up significantly.
The main cricket board
8a. If yes, where? Statistics, Research, maybe match posting
9. Anything else I forgot, that you would to add or suggest for the league?
A re-brand. Create a world that this league exists in, rather than just the "BigFooty Fantasy Cricket League"
If doing Tests is something we still want, perhaps they can run during the SFA season, it would likely mean lower posting numbers, but at least then the board isn't left inactive for 80% of the year.

1. Should there by another season? I hope so but if I'm being honest, I'm indifferent
1a. If yes; then which format or combination of formats? If it happens and the work isn't too much, all three would be nice
2. Did you like the combination of the formats in the one thread? Yes - easy to find
Kirkswan being added to the sim crew is pretty much it
4. What didn't work this season? There's no atmosphere in BFFCL and it appears that even some of the captains (my own included) have given up
5. Are the any competitions that you would like to see run throughout the BFFCL Season? Fantasy - no/Tipping - no/Other - no
6. What could benefit or increase the activity within the BFFCL? Who knows. I'm involved in a match thread in Sweet FA at the moment with supposedly 45+ people to call upon and yet only five are participating. Unless people actively engage here there's really no reason to come in. That said, perhaps we could take a leaf out of the early days of Sweet FA, sim the games, generate some media and maybe there'll be interest some day.
7. What other boards would be good to recruit from? Wherever cricket fans congregate on BigFooty
8. Would you be open to helping out around the BFFCL? Officially, no. Unofficially, sure.
8a. If yes, where? Depends on the work involved. I'd like to see this succeed but my heart isn't in it. Happy to help where I can though.
9. Anything else I forgot, that you would to add or suggest for the league? The T20 comp was pretty good. Maybe the issue is trying to run a cricket comp outside cricket season. Should we start the season in October perhaps?

I'm just going to go through a couple of answers a respond to them here. Things I'd be looking for some further information for.
I have added a calendar to the OP, so we can see the SFA gap, as well as where interest in cricket will peak with BigFooty.

Play a longer T20 season throughout the Australian Summer of Cricket and/or the SFA offseason. This is when posters will be free from SFA commitments and the wider communities interest in cricket is spiked
I'd be looking at doing a T20 thing around the time of the Big Bash, but as it's also peak cricket season and everyone if off. I'll need to at least include ODs there somewhere.
The SFA off-season is only about a 4-6 weeks long, so there will need to be some sort of overlap.

6. What could benefit or increase the activity within the BFFCL? Not trying to implement too much, maybe remove a team.
Removing a team would either mean one team has to have a bye or we bring in an AusXI to replace the bye. I think 4 teams is too small.

3. What worked this season? Perhaps if we post one dayers one week and tests the next? Rather than all in rush on one week.
That was the original intention, and play the Test over the length of a week. But it was obvious early that the games drain alot of time out of the week.

4. What didn't work this season? We had no back-ups for dropouts... :(
I did try to encourage the use of VCs or co-caps this season once I saw that some of the captains have dropped their interest.

IMO should have this as a sub-board of the Sweet FA.
Chief , is this a possibility?

3. What worked this season? The start of the season. The IPL like draft.
Do you suggest a draft at the start of every season? I know this will bring interest, but it's time consuming and wheres the club loyalty?

9. Anything else I forgot, that you would to add or suggest for the league? A re-brand. Create a world that this league exists in, rather than just the "BigFooty Fantasy Cricket League"
What do you mean by this. Because I'm not building a Minecraft version of the BFFCL.

If doing Tests is something we still want, perhaps they can run during the SFA season, it would likely mean lower posting numbers, but at least then the board isn't left inactive for 80% of the year.
Really considering this, play a single round robin + GF for tests that would only take 6 weeks in the middle. Though I'd need captains to be on the ball with posting teams.

6. What could benefit or increase the activity within the BFFCL? Who knows. I'm involved in a match thread in Sweet FA at the moment with supposedly 45+ people to call upon and yet only five are participating. Unless people actively engage here there's really no reason to come in. That said, perhaps we could take a leaf out of the early days of Sweet FA, sim the games, generate some media and maybe there'll be interest some day.
Can look into getting a MEDIA tag or a DISCUSSION tag added to this board. That may bring people to talk about this. Originally, we wants all media in one thread to stop all the spam that does get posted in the SFA media threads. But by the looks of it, it might be worth having some spam here.

9. Anything else I forgot, that you would to add or suggest for the league? The T20 comp was pretty good. Maybe the issue is trying to run a cricket comp outside cricket season. Should we start the season in October perhaps?
October may be a good option. I don't want to leave the BFFCL with nothing for too long, so I'm looking at a good time to do something before that as well.

----

Thoughts for the next season:
I am looking to do something over the WC, where there is interest in cricket midyear. Unfortunately, the gap to the Ashes and the SFA restarting doesn't mean I can extend it for too long.
T20, 6 teams, double round-robin, 10 games (H&A) 5 weeks + final, 3 teams in one thread for the week, three games played in the one thread, starting mid-WC, with finals finishing in the first couple of weeks of the SFA
Fixture would look like this:
R1: A v B v C, D v E v F
R2: A v D v E, B v C v F
R3: A v C v F, B v D v E
R4: A v B v D, C v E v F
R5: A v E v F, B v C v D
Having three teams in the one thread will increase the activity within the thread and there will be more games played in a smaller space of time.
This idea is similar to the SFA S18 Pre-Season comp, but extended over the season.

This would be followed by something starting late-Oct to take interest in domestic cricket plus the summer of cricket starting. The SFA season will also be towards the end.
OD, 6 teams, double round-robin, 10 games, (H&A) 10 weeks + finals, 2 teams in the thread for the week, 1 game played per week.
This would run towards the start of Jan where we'd reconsider what to do next. This is also the tradition format of the game.

----

I also noted that some said that they didn't like both games in the one thread. There was a suggestion to do both Test and OD at once (this could be why the season failed, and has taken forever), So by having both games in the one thread, everyone wouldn't have to find a new thread at the start of the week that would be of the same people.

----

I understand that Tests do take a long time, but we need to have them somewhere, so I'm thinking from next year having a Test every couple of months or something to finish at the end of the year (throughout other comps). Something for 2020.

I am looking to do something over the WC, where there is interest in cricket midyear. Unfortunately, the gap to the Ashes and the SFA restarting doesn't mean I can extend it for too long.
T20, 6 teams, double round-robin, 10 games (H&A) 5 weeks + final, 3 teams in one thread for the week, three games played in the one thread, starting mid-WC, with finals finishing in the first couple of weeks of the SFA
Fixture would look like this:
R1: A v B v C, D v E v F
R2: A v D v E, B v C v F
R3: A v C v F, B v D v E
R4: A v B v D, C v E v F
R5: A v E v F, B v C v D
Having three teams in the one thread will increase the activity within the thread and there will be more games played in a smaller space of time.
This idea is similar to the SFA S18 Pre-Season comp, but extended over the season.
I really like this idea. Well worth the experiment.

This would be followed by something starting late-Oct to take interest in domestic cricket plus the summer of cricket starting. The SFA season will also be towards the end.
OD, 6 teams, double round-robin, 10 games, (H&A) 10 weeks + finals, 2 teams in the thread for the week, 1 game played per week.
This would run towards the start of Jan where we'd reconsider what to do next. This is also the tradition format of the game.
I reckon wait and see how the three-teams-in-one thread experiment works before worrying about what would effectively be two seasons away.

I also noted that some said that they didn't like both games in the one thread. There was a suggestion to do both Test and OD at once (this could be why the season failed, and has taken forever), So by having both games in the one thread, everyone wouldn't have to find a new thread at the start of the week that would be of the same people.
No point in splitting them up. We don't have activity in one thread - why would we go for no activity in two threads?

I understand that Tests do take a long time, but we need to have them somewhere, so I'm thinking from next year having a Test every couple of months or something to finish at the end of the year (throughout other comps). Something for 2020.
The T20 was popular and the ODI/Tests not so much. Perhaps we focus on the T20s and forget the other formats until we've got that right save for exhibitions.

Do you suggest a draft at the start of every season? I know this will bring interest, but it's time consuming and wheres the club loyalty?

Perhaps a draft for new posters if there's enough. Maybe marquee players too. But a draft for each player every season would present problems, yes. Given a big enough support group, I'm sure it could work.

What do you mean by this. Because I'm not building a Minecraft version of the BFFCL.

I mean maybe give the league a new identity, it's own atmosphere. BFFCL just feels a little impersonal. For me at least, it's much easier to get invested in something with its own identity rather than just a fantasy game on some forum. Even if its something as simple as a new name for the league. Worldbuilding (not literally, there doesn't need to be a minecraft version) takes a long time, but it's something that can happen naturally given the chance. Given enough people, I think the world would build itself over time. What I'm suggesting is we provide a base for that to happen.

The T20 was popular and the ODI/Tests not so much. Perhaps we focus on the T20s and forget the other formats until we've got that right save for exhibitions.
I'm a traditionalist. I've gotta have Tests in there somewhere. :D And I know there are others with the same mindset as me. That's why I still want to put them there somewhere.

Perhaps a draft for new posters if there's enough. Maybe marquee players too. But a draft for each player every season would present problems, yes. Given a big enough support group, I'm sure it could work.
There was a rule in the PM whereby players had to be drafted by someone, even if they didn't want them. I understand that teams are after players with certain attributes, which means that the certain players wont get picked up. If there was no interest in a player that was to post in the within the first 24hrs, the team at the bottom of the table would get first dibs, and so on. Just so that no one misses out. Though I wanted to keep this process hidden, as I felt bad for those that would not get picked. I'd personally stay away from the draft, though I think if we were to redraft now there would be less interested and we wouldn't get to fill with 6 active teams :(

I mean maybe give the league a new identity, it's own atmosphere. BFFCL just feels a little impersonal. For me at least, it's much easier to get invested in something with its own identity rather than just a fantasy game on some forum. Even if its something as simple as a new name for the league. Worldbuilding (not literally, there doesn't need to be a minecraft version) takes a long time, but it's something that can happen naturally given the chance. Given enough people, I think the world would build itself over time. What I'm suggesting is we provide a base for that to happen.
I'm going to see what I can do about media articles, and thats why I also thought about tipping/fantasy. I'm trying to think of things that we do when the cricket season is on us, and try to implement that here.
Maybe a weekly magazine thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes

Current format

Yes

No T20s

Kangaroos winning. I enjoy the Test and ODI formats.

T20s too short.

Not fussed.

Threads on team boards encouraging posters to play.

Team boards.

Never say never.

8a. If yes, where?
Wherever needed.

Yes

Current format

Yes

No T20s

Kangaroos winning. I enjoy the Test and ODI formats.

T20s too short.

Not fussed.

Threads on team boards encouraging posters to play.

Team boards.

Never say never.

8a. If yes, where?
Wherever needed.
Wow. Such a yes man. My personal opinions match with everything you’ve said.

Yes, Please
All three.

No. A separate thread for each match would be better, however, considering this is nowhere close to SFA in popularity, the threads would mostly be empty.
Create a single thread for all 3 formats.

Quality teammates, opponents and banter.

No proper match posting schedule.

Can't say.

None that I know of.

Yes
8a. If yes, where?
I have done the following in the past for TAE: Captaining/Match Posting/Statistics/Ladder and Results/Other

9. Anything else I forgot, that you would to add or suggest for the league?
Nothing else.

No. A separate thread for each match would be better, however, considering this is nowhere close to SFA in popularity, the threads would mostly be empty.
Going through old seasons (around 12 years ago), they'd have the OD and Test run along side each in different threads, the fixtures for OD and Test were different, so that meant that they wouldn't be playing the same team two weeks in a row as well.
Create a single thread for all 3 formats.
An option could be to play OD, T20 then a Test over two weeks for the round. This could go in the one thread. Maybe next year. Also helps with the game days:length of thread ratio.
No proper match posting schedule.
Fair point. Our original plan was to have the OD on the Saturday night (like we did with the T20s), and then play the Test from Tuesday to Saturday in week 2. Unfortunately, we had a lot of the core group of the match posters drop out and this meant we just tried to get through as much as we could, when we could. Once Kirkswan and BRAB joined the match posting, I could see a posting schedule start to form. Though this should have been consistent from the start of the season. Something to work on in the future, and something I think, that is much more achievable with one game per week.
8a. If yes, where?
I have done the following in the past for TAE: Captaining/Match Posting/Statistics/Ladder and Results/Other
What happened to TAE? I remember signing up ages ago, and because it wasn't as active as the SFA there was no real activity so I didn't pay as much attention (the irony of this league). After a few months, went to check on my stats, and the site was not there anymore.
Any insights on they ran the leagues at TAE? Anything we could adopt?

Do you guys get much traffic of people joining from the main cricket board usually?
Sorry. Just saw this. Before you think I ignored you.

A little bit, and I think in the early days it was. But as you can see from the squad lists, etc. the large majority is SFA based.

Sorry. Just saw this. Before you think I ignored you.

A little bit, and I think in the early days it was. But as you can see from the squad lists, etc. the large majority is SFA based.
Think a couple years ago, it might have been Filthy who suggested that this could fit on the fantasy games board. Looks like the league’s running a bit dry on activity again, if there’s like a 95% overlap perhaps you could get some more activity if it was one click away from the SFA.

Think a couple years ago, it might have been Filthy who suggested that this could fit on the fantasy games board. Looks like the league’s running a bit dry on activity again, if there’s like a 95% overlap perhaps you could get some more activity if it was one click away from the SFA.
It was The Filth Wizard that said this. And I’m all for it.

Also, would be interested in bringing in some SFA teams to field a qricket side, as this will bring active numbers to the league. It’s been done before with the Geelong Gumbies, Baghdad Bombers and Fighting Furies all field side in this league.

Also, would be interested in bringing in some SFA teams to field a qricket side, as this will bring active numbers to the league. It’s been done before with the Geelong Gumbies, Baghdad Bombers and Fighting Furies all field side in this league.
I guess having a few affiliates could help some teams establish an identity.

I think this league might fare better if it set itself up and branded it to be a supplementary comp of the Sweet FA. Try to carve out a niche market of people in the SFA who like fantasy sports, that happen to like cricket. As opposed to trying to find people on the cricket board that like simulated RPG fantasy sports.

With a smaller league, you can run shorter seasons, mainly in the off-season or latter part of SFA H&A where some people start to burn out a bit.

Are you still in charge of the BFFCL?

I guess having a few affiliates could help some teams establish an identity.

I think this league might fare better if it set itself up and branded it to be a supplementary comp of the Sweet FA. Try to carve out a niche market of people in the SFA who like fantasy sports, that happen to like cricket. As opposed to trying to find people on the cricket board that like simulated RPG fantasy sports.

With a smaller league, you can run shorter seasons, mainly in the off-season or latter part of SFA H&A where some people start to burn out a bit.

Are you still in charge of the BFFCL?
I don’t mind the idea of going hard over the offseason, in terms of being able to do a majority of a season during this time. But there will be some overlap.
Though I wouldnt want to go without a game for too long.

Ant Bear and I did a lot of the work this season. With T20, it’ll be SarahSmiles summing the games.

I don’t mind the idea of going hard over the offseason, in terms of being able to do a majority of a season during this time. But there will be some overlap.
Though I wouldnt want to go without a game for too long.

Ant Bear and I did a lot of the work this season. With T20, it’ll be SarahSmiles summing the games.
Best way to go is probably to have short seasons more frequently, have a T20 comp run over a month - short break - Test over 2 months - short break - OD over 2 months cycle through each format so you're not saturating imo.

Going through old seasons (around 12 years ago), they'd have the OD and Test run along side each in different threads, the fixtures for OD and Test were different, so that meant that they wouldn't be playing the same team two weeks in a row as well.

An option could be to play OD, T20 then a Test over two weeks for the round. This could go in the one thread. Maybe next year. Also helps with the game days:length of thread ratio.

Fair point. Our original plan was to have the OD on the Saturday night (like we did with the T20s), and then play the Test from Tuesday to Saturday in week

2. Unfortunately, we had a lot of the core group of the match posters drop out and this meant we just tried to get through as much as we could, when we could. Once Kirkswan and BRAB joined the match posting, I could see a posting schedule start to form. Though this should have been consistent from the start of the season. Something to work on in the future, and something I think, that is much more achievable with one game per week.

What happened to TAE? I remember signing up ages ago, and because it wasn't as active as the SFA there was no real activity so I didn't pay as much attention (the irony of this league). After a few months, went to check on my stats, and the site was not there anymore.
Any insights on they ran the leagues at TAE? Anything we could adopt?

Having all three formats at the same time would be an overkill.

TAE had to be put down because I ran everybody off the forum. Sports_Freak could attest to that! In the end it was just me and Collingwood running the comps and a dozen or so regulars who would log in. (I wonder what happened to PieInTheSky? Eth_Dog is here, so thats a big plus for rustling some jimmies). Anyway, Maj & I did the B&F for over a year for both RFFL & TAEFCL. There was negligible activity so Collingwood shut it down on 31st December, 2015. If we want to borrow something from TAE, I would say bring Collingwood here. He was meticulous in running the leagues. Other than that, I can volunteer for some things and try and get my groove on.

This is an excellent idea.

Best way to go is probably to have short seasons more frequently, have a T20 comp run over a month - short break - Test over 2 months - short break - OD over 2 months cycle through each format so you're not saturating imo.
This sounds good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back