Biggest Comeback from 100 points but still lose by less than 5 goals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anyone know the biggest comeback from 100 points, but managed to still lose by under 5 goals in the VFA/VFL, SANFL, WAFL, TFL, QAFL, NSWFL, NTLFL & the VFL/AFL?? i have always wondered about games with the biggest ever comebacks from a huge margin that ended in a closer losing game?

Do you know that this has actually happened in one of the leagues you have mentioned?
I think the biggest lead in VFL/AFL history which was trimmed to below 100 points was a 126 point lead Richmond held over Geelong in round 18, 1982. Richmond were leading 151 to 25 until Geelong scored 8.6 to 2.0 in the last 20 minutes to lose by "only" 84 points. As for whether any 100 point leads, in any leagues, have been reduced to under ten goals, let alone five, is another story.

• Banned
Do you know that this has actually happened in one of the leagues you have mentioned?
I think the biggest lead in VFL/AFL history which was trimmed to below 100 points was a 126 point lead Richmond held over Geelong in round 18, 1982. Richmond were leading 151 to 25 until Geelong scored 8.6 to 2.0 in the last 20 minutes to lose by "only" 84 points. As for whether any 100 point leads, in any leagues, have been reduced to under ten goals, let alone five, is another story.
no i didnt know lol, and since that match, the cats held the wood over the tigers since then, until now lol

Sorry, my question was not worded correctly. It should have been:

Do you know whether this has actually happened in one of the leagues you have mentioned?

I was providing an instance I know about as a starting point because I would be surprised to learn of any instance where a 100 point lead has been trimmed to under five goals, in a city league or country league.

Not a hundred as such but I remember South Launceston came from 78 points down to beat Clarence in Launceston one year.
Hobart lost by 7 points after being 72 points behind North Launceston in the mid 1990s at North Hobart.
A really strange one, Devonport trailed Hobart by over 50 points in Devonport one day and finished up winning by close to 80.
AFAIR New Norfolk trailed North Launceston at New Norfolk by about 90 odd points and only lost by about 32-33 points in the end. Was in the late 80s.

The biggest comeback I can think of by a team trailing by 100 points or more in the AFL/VFL is a strange match in Round 19 1985 where Carlton were thrashing Richmond at the MCG and led by 112 points - 22.10-142 to 3.12-30 - at three quarter time, only for the Tigers to kick 8.2 to 1.5 in the final term and minimize the loss to 73 points, 23.15-153 to 11.14-80. If Mr. Strickland, the Principal from Back to the Future was a Blues fan, I think he might have described his team as slackers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back