Remove this Banner Ad

108CAM

Always Hunting For Lost Football Club Songs
May 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Draw FC, The Bye
Sometime in the 2022-23 off season, Shannon Noll and KFC partnered up to create a song for the 2023 AFL & NRL seasons.
I'm talking about the Fried Night Footy Anthem which was used in KFC ads and also played at stadiums during quarter breaks on Fridays.

Unfortunately, when the 2023 AFL & NRL seasons closed, KFC removed the song and it's music video from their YouTube channel, likely because of deals with the clubs they sponsored during the 2023 season. The video's description even said the song was written specifically for the 2023 season so my instincts kicked in and I downloaded a copy of the song and it's music video to ensure it would be safely archived and available for future generations to enjoy.

Fast Forward to 2024 and I'm watching the Friday Night Round 0 clash between Brisbane & Carlton. About halfway through the 4th quarter, I remembered it was a Friday Night so I went to YouTube to play the Fried Night Footy Anthem. The KFC video was nowhere to be found but another user had uploaded the audio to their channel however the music video was still missing.

As mentioned earlier, I downloaded a copy of the song and music video directly from KFC's YouTube channel because something told me it had a very high chance of meeting the same fate as Brisbane Bears Will Live Forever and never be seen or heard again. My actions would pay off, saving both the song and it's music video from this terrible fate.

I have the song and video on my computer but have not uploaded them to YouTube because there's still a chance that the original video may still be up but privatised so copyright matches can still be found and removed.
For now, here's a link to the song and video which I've uploaded to my Google Drive.

Stick it on archive.org so future fried chicken lovers can watch it 100 years from now.
Good Idea. I've put a couple of oher songs, mainly advertising jingles in their unedited form on archive.org
I'll get Fried Night Footy uploaded sometime today.

While you're on the hunt for old songs, can you please help find this one?

Key instruments in this:

Cowbell.
Trumpet like sound.

Been in my head just over 12 and a half years now.

I'll see what I can do. I noticed a portion with nobody talking over the music so I may try and Shazam it.
Since it's a song I've never heard before, I don't know if it was something played only at that event but I don't think that the AFL would go to all the trouble of creating 30 seconds of music just for a couple of playbacks at an event.

I'll see what I can do. I noticed a portion with nobody talking over the music so I may try and Shazam it.
Since it's a song I've never heard before, I don't know if it was something played only at that event but I don't think that the AFL would go to all the trouble of creating 30 seconds of music just for a couple of playbacks at an event.

I first heard it used on a Today show promo during A Current Affair in July that year and, since this, I've heard it on the Australian Open coverage on Channel 7 and the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.

Key instruments in this:

Cowbell.
Trumpet like sound.

Sounds sampled to my ears. Drum break i would say is

Piano bit sounds like Loaded by Primal Scream
My guess would be some TV sound guy was given the brief to make a track that sounded like Loaded and used that drum break woth somethin similar they played over the top. You hear it on ads all the time where they make tracks that just sound similar enough but not enough to get into trouble.
Or maybe its another Primal Scream track I don't know, they often sampled old drum breaks too

Sounds sampled to my ears. Drum break i would say is

Piano bit sounds like Loaded by Primal Scream
My guess would be some TV sound guy was given the brief to make a track that sounded like Loaded and used that drum break woth somethin similar they played over the top. You hear it on ads all the time where they make tracks that just sound similar enough but not enough to get into trouble.
Or maybe its another Primal Scream track I don't know, they often sampled old drum breaks too

That Kool and the Gang cowbell is the only thing confirmed in my head.

Key instruments in this:

Cowbell.
Trumpet like sound.

I'm pretty sure it's production music that people can use for a cheaper licensing fee than most licensed music.

That's not to say it can't be found, I've managed to find stuff like the Seven's Big League theme, Seven's VFL theme from 1988-1989 and Fox Sports AFL theme from 2008 along with other stuff.

The trick to find it sometimes is to upload the snippet to YouTube with the video set to private and see if the ContentID comes up with anything because the YouTube database tends to have a lot of production music in it compared to something like Shazam. If the song is in the YouTube system, It'll come up as such and bingo. You'll have your song.

If it doesn't, Then it'll be a bit trickier but it's always worth a shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back