Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you. I'm a bit o_O at the moment but looking forward to a bit of sleeping in and couch time. I've got a leave pass from Mrs Arrowman for the first month, after that, I have to start making myself useful!
Jobs to attend to by MRs Arrowan
Tell Me More To Do List GIF by Disney Channel

None of the new lads (including gallagher) featured today, wondering if the annual aflpa initiation in Melbourne is on? Or perhaps just being rested.

Despite that, was an enjoyable session to watch as there was a greater amount of contest and match sim work than previous. Bit to gain from it in terms of player positions for this season as well.

Neither Burgess or hinge appeared at all today. Not sure what the go is with hinge. On the plus side Rob was back today although only did laps (at a brisk pace mind you). Sloane, milera and dragon all still in the rehab group. Most of their day consisted of doing laps with Murray, who is really quite advanced and looks ultra fit and energised. Clearly super professional. Harry also popped out for some light skills work.

Thilthorpe participated in all the drills today which was pleasing to see. There was some sprint work early on which he did solo rather than with the rest of the boys and at a slower clip, obviously trying to not extend himself too much. Overall I thought he moved well so hopefully can get back to 100% soon.

There was a few interesting drills today so thought I would go through some of them.

One involved two players starting by lying on the ground, with the ball then rolled towards one who has to evade or fend the other off. This was a common theme of the session in general with a greater emphasis on contest and explosiveness. Unsurprisingly the likes of Rankine and pedlar were particularly adept at this drill. I’d imagine milera would’ve been too.

Another involved set shots with those who miss having to do about a dozen burpees. Unfortunately a few too many having to do so! Ironically not Keays or Murphy!

One of the main drills was a soccer-style one which involved two sets of goals at either end of the ground (going across the ground) with the aim to handball through one of the goals to score. Two seperate games would run at the same time between four teams (with a fifth sitting out each time) going for a few minutes each before rotating. Sounds a bit complicated on paper but was quite enjoyable to watch as it emphasised running patterns and allowed those with flair and/or speed to strut their stuff. Those who stood out in the drill included the likes of rash, Rankine, pedlar and nank who all really took the game on. One particularly exciting play saw pedlar burst past three opponents with sheer speed. Rankine did similarly a few minutes later

This was then followed by a match-style full ground drill with the coach starting play by kicking the ball in a random direction. Unlike previous sessions tackling was now encouraged and the players clearly relished the extra physicality. I thought two who really stood out in this drill were cook and Soligo. Cook in general had an excellent session playing as a deep lead up forward and frequently got involved in scoring chains. It would appear he is competing with the likes of gollant for that Mcadam vacancy? Based on training form Cook would be in front presently. Soligo has definitely found an extra yard of pace this pre season, there was one play in particular where I had to double check it was him because of his speed. There was another moment where he intercepted a ball in the middle of the ground, burst forward and laced out a 45m kick to set up a goal without breaking stride. Impressive stuff.

During the session players also seperated into two different drills, one for midfielders and the other for forwards/defenders. Rachele was part of the forwards group as was Rankine and pedlar. Keep in mind rash has also done work with the mids during the pre season so don’t fret too much. Keays was also exclusively forward. Meanwhile the mids consisted of laird crouch Dawson Soligo berry Taylor and bond with Jones, sholl, Nankervis and dowling playing wing roles. This is a change for nank who was training with the defenders last year and he seems to be enjoying himself. His speed stood out today as did his foot skills which have come a long way from his debut year.

Other things that stood out to me:

Worrell - has come back from xmas really firing. Thought he was ok without standing out in December but has definitely lifted a gear with his intensity and involvement. World is his oyster as not too many 194cm blokes can move like he does.

Bond - is he a bit of a fumbler? Just something I’ve noticed throughout the pre season, he’s prone to fumbling the ball on the deck. Elite runner with a bit more toe than I realised but needs to improve his take if he wants to make it. Still think he should be earmarked for a tagging role.

Dowling - love his development but similar to bond he also needs to improve his ground ball take. He can crab it a bit when approaching the ball and slows down a bit too much for my liking. If he wants to be an inside mid this is an area he will need to improve. Everything else is in good order at the moment.

Pedlar - Really put on the afterburners at times today and when he decides to do that very few are going to catch him. Was seriously quick at times during todays session which to me also shows he trusts his body more.

None of the new lads (including gallagher) featured today, wondering if the annual aflpa initiation in Melbourne is on? Or perhaps just being rested.

Despite that, was an enjoyable session to watch as there was a greater amount of contest and match sim work than previous. Bit to gain from it in terms of player positions for this season as well.

Neither Burgess or hinge appeared at all today. Not sure what the go is with hinge. On the plus side Rob was back today although only did laps (at a brisk pace mind you). Sloane, milera and dragon all still in the rehab group. Most of their day consisted of doing laps with Murray, who is really quite advanced and looks ultra fit and energised. Clearly super professional. Harry also popped out for some light skills work.

Thilthorpe participated in all the drills today which was pleasing to see. There was some sprint work early on which he did solo rather than with the rest of the boys and at a slower clip, obviously trying to not extend himself too much. Overall I thought he moved well so hopefully can get back to 100% soon.

There was a few interesting drills today so thought I would go through some of them.

One involved two players starting by lying on the ground, with the ball then rolled towards one who has to evade or fend the other off. This was a common theme of the session in general with a greater emphasis on contest and explosiveness. Unsurprisingly the likes of Rankine and pedlar were particularly adept at this drill. I’d imagine milera would’ve been too.

Another involved set shots with those who miss having to do about a dozen burpees. Unfortunately a few too many having to do so! Ironically not Keays or Murphy!

One of the main drills was a soccer-style one which involved two sets of goals at either end of the ground (going across the ground) with the aim to handball through one of the goals to score. Two seperate games would run at the same time between four teams (with a fifth sitting out each time) going for a few minutes each before rotating. Sounds a bit complicated on paper but was quite enjoyable to watch as it emphasised running patterns and allowed those with flair and/or speed to strut their stuff. Those who stood out in the drill included the likes of rash, Rankine, pedlar and nank who all really took the game on. One particularly exciting play saw pedlar burst past three opponents with sheer speed. Rankine did similarly a few minutes later

This was then followed by a match-style full ground drill with the coach starting play by kicking the ball in a random direction. Unlike previous sessions tackling was now encouraged and the players clearly relished the extra physicality. I thought two who really stood out in this drill were cook and Soligo. Cook in general had an excellent session playing as a deep lead up forward and frequently got involved in scoring chains. It would appear he is competing with the likes of gollant for that Mcadam vacancy? Based on training form Cook would be in front presently. Soligo has definitely found an extra yard of pace this pre season, there was one play in particular where I had to double check it was him because of his speed. There was another moment where he intercepted a ball in the middle of the ground, burst forward and laced out a 45m kick to set up a goal without breaking stride. Impressive stuff.

During the session players also seperated into two different drills, one for midfielders and the other for forwards/defenders. Rachele was part of the forwards group as was Rankine and pedlar. Keep in mind rash has also done work with the mids during the pre season so don’t fret too much. Keays was also exclusively forward. Meanwhile the mids consisted of laird crouch Dawson Soligo berry Taylor and bond with Jones, sholl, Nankervis and dowling playing wing roles. This is a change for nank who was training with the defenders last year and he seems to be enjoying himself. His speed stood out today as did his foot skills which have come a long way from his debut year.

Worrell - has come back from xmas really firing. Thought he was ok without standing out in December but has definitely lifted a gear with his intensity and involvement. World is his oyster as not too many 194cm blokes can move like he does.

Bond - is he a bit of a fumbler? Just something I’ve noticed throughout the pre season, he’s prone to fumbling the ball on the deck. Elite runner with a bit more toe than I realised but needs to improve his take if he wants to make it. Still think he should be earmarked for a tagging role.

Dowling - love his development but similar to bond he also needs to improve his ground ball take. He can crab it a bit when approaching the ball and slows down a bit too much for my liking. If he wants to be an inside mid this is an area he will need to improve. Everything else is in good order at the moment.

Pedlar - Really put on the afterburners at times today and when he decides to do that very few are going to catch him. Was seriously quick at times during todays session which to me also shows he trusts his body more.
Yep the AFLPA thing is on 👍

So excited re Soligo in 2024 ! He’s going to be something

Pedlar similar

Also don’t get me started on Rankine

Alot to get excited about

I thought two who really stood out in this drill were cook and Soligo. Cook in general had an excellent session playing as a deep lead up forward and frequently got involved in scoring chains. It would appear he is competing with the likes of gollant for that Mcadam vacancy? Based on training form Cook would be in front presently.

Soligo has definitely found an extra yard of pace this pre season

Nankervis and dowling playing wing roles. This is a change for nank who was training with the defenders last year and he seems to be enjoying himself. His speed stood out today as did his foot skills which have come a long way from his debut year.
Love all of this.

I hope Nank and Curtin are round 1 starters. Wing is a nice spot for Nank's best weapons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bigman I've probably missed it, but what is the matter with Milera?

I'm retiring on Monday Woo Hoo!

Looking forward to having time to go to Crows training and maybe get to meet some of the players bigman.
Congratulations on your retirement Arrowman. I’m still 2 years away. You don’t want to wish your life away, but God I’m so over working

bigman I've probably missed it, but what is the matter with Milera?
BRL he hurt his hamstring late last year just before the xmas break.

He’s moving pretty well so shouldn’t be too far off. Suspect they’re being really cautious given his injury history

Dragons hamstring must have been a really bad one to still be in the rehab group more than four months on. He’s definitely looking better conditioned than the start of pre season training however so hopefully not too long now for him.

Great write up and even though both these boys cost us very little, unless that improves, then they become good SANFL and not much more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back