Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

Eddie has probably landed us Jack Martin and Zac Williams.

I think the little extra has paid off already

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That wasn't the point.

SOS was all for Eddie, Liddle went behind his back, without notice or consultation.

What, how is he throwing the whole Club down the bus? or is this remotely revenge? This is dispute between CEO and former list manager. This shouldn't have an affect on the playing group.
Its an unnecessary headline and dig at our club/administration and our trading/dealing/list management team in the days before the most important time of the year for trading/nominations etc. It's SOS getting in the last word against Liddle knowing that we wouldn't want to respond to the comments at this time. It's selfish at best, or he's being manipulated by his new employer (and I wouldnt think that low of his intelligence)

Problem is the media are now going to be hounding Liddle, if he responds he's throwing us under the bus
Pretty sh*t thing to do to someone to get the last word/ win an argument/ get his own way, either way hope he enjoys his media employment
Liddle is better off biding his time, responding when his employment ceases with us, protecting our club
Very unprofessional by SOS on so many levels this is just one

It's actually professional by SOS, given that it is literally his job.

Liddle can settle it easily. Just has to say that he didn't handle the situation well at the time and that he has learned from it. Nobody is under the bus.

Liddle is NOT happy
Fair enough. SOS lined him up like a Milburn hip & shoulder.

Liddle needs to brush himself off, reflect & learn from his mistakes (because clearly he made some with SOS towards the end) but then move on very quickly. Seems to have built a good team around him and the club is going places, so there is no need to get distracted by this.

SOS did not endear himself to anyone with his sour grapes, except Tim and Garry who lapped it up like starved kittens in a bathtub full of cream.

Do you seriously expect SEN to not ask him about it?

You must think it wrong that he has taken a job in the media a year after we sacked him?
I expect SEN to ask. And I expect a professional who claims to care about the club to respond in a way that doesnt damage the reputation of the club and it's administration.

Not wrong at all for him to enter the media. Trade radio is an ideal platform for someone with his experience - he's far better placed than someone like Terry Wallace.

We didn't sack him, we just didn't extend him. If he couldn't work with Liddle and needed to be separated by MLG and Judd (his claim), then he was the issue, and justifiably did not warrant a contract extension.

Fair enough. SOS lined him up like a Milburn hip & shoulder.

Liddle needs to brush himself off, reflect & learn from his mistakes (because clearly he made some with SOS towards the end) but then move on very quickly. Seems to have built a good team around him and the club is going places, so there is no need to get distracted by this.

SOS did not endear himself to anyone with his sour grapes, except Tim and Garry who lapped it up like starved kittens in a bathtub full of cream.

I thought it was good to hear some honesty and frank discourse in this age of political spin and often outright deceit.

I expect SEN to ask. And I expect a professional who claims to care about the club to respond in a way that doesnt damage the reputation of the club and it's administration.

Not wrong at all for him to enter the media. Trade radio is an ideal platform for someone with his experience - he's far better placed than someone like Terry Wallace.

We didn't sack him, we just didn't extend him. If he couldn't work with Liddle and needed to be separated by MLG and Judd (his claim), then he was the issue, and justifiably did not warrant a contract extension.

Semantics.

I have no problems with SOS's Saad comments.

He said how he viewed the trade from Carlton's POV and then how he'd view the trade from an * POV.

Where's the problem with that?

SOS is not the mouthpiece type. He is under no obligation to give a biased Carlton view.

It's not his fault 90% of retired champions turn into unofficial club spokespeople.

Or he might just have expected to be judged based on his performance, rather than some hard feelings and inuendo about a conflict.

Not that its the law or anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its an unnecessary headline and dig at our club/administration and our trading/dealing/list management team in the days before the most important time of the year for trading/nominations etc. It's SOS getting in the last word against Liddle knowing that we wouldn't want to respond to the comments at this time. It's selfish at best, or he's being manipulated by his new employer (and I wouldnt think that low of his intelligence)

He was ask a question and he answered it. He isn't haven't a dig at the club, he is explaining his dispute only with Cain Liddle, no one else. If he wanted to throw the club under the bus he would have given the playing group and other admins a bath but he didn't.

He gave frank responses to reasonable and expected questions.

It doesn't damage the Club, at all.
There was clearly a SOS v Liddle conflict. Liddle won, and the handling of the SOS conflict seems to be his one mistake as CEO. It was a year ago.
Everyone should be able to move on.

That we didn't have a crack at Crouch (and surely good lines of communication with DT, the Guv and Mr Betts) suggests either:

1. Teague thinks he's a spud; or
2. Very confident a bigger fish is gettable.
That's exactly my thought, why would we ignore a clearly talented player that we can get for nothing apart from salary cap spend unless we have someone else in mind?

Fingers crossed we get news about Oliver! He'd be a dream in that midfield, Wines I am least keen on but he is definitely serviceable, good for another 100-150 games as a strong, consistently above average midfielder.

My point being you can't uphold corporate standards only when it suits.

And conflicts of interest are managed all the time.

Depends on the situation, and the level of risk attached. SOS removed himself from the drafting process, but as list manager he was directly responsible for the contracts and list retention of Jack and Ben which could not be managed with him having oversight on all player's agreements. You can't internally nominate someone else to preside over the matter, as their input then deductively encroaches on the agreements of other players. Either way we're caught between a rock and a hard place.

Liddle did manage the confluct of interest by removing it.

Your opinion. I don't share it.

He was asked some good questions, he answered frankly.

No problem.

If Liddle now wants to sook it up, so be it.

You would have preferred Ellis on our list right?
No but I'd be happy with Butler but we conveniently forget that one, dont we?
It's an interesting discussion though. Liddle was the contact for Ellis. That's it.
He obviously didn't make him any binding offers. He used his relationship to bring him to the table. Then the list managers can decide if they're interested. They decided against it. He would have also been the contact for Butler. Would you be complaining if he was playing for us?
I'm sure SOS was more than happy to use Teagues relationship with McGovern and Eddie to his advantage or to leverage Eddies relationship to get Jack Martin on the hook. Relationships are taken advantage of constantly to improve lists. No different to using Eddie to lure Williams. Bagging Liddle for giving us the option to talk to Ellis is selective and unwarranted criticism IMHO.

No but I'd be happy with Butler but we conveniently forget that one, dont we?
It's an interesting discussion though. Liddle was the contact for Ellis. That's it.
He obviously didn't make him any binding offers. He used his relationship to bring him to the table. Then the list managers can decide if they're interested. They decided against it. He would have also been the contact for Butler. Would you be complaining if he was playing for us?
I'm sure SOS was more than happy to use Teagues relationship with McGovern and Eddie to his advantage or to leverage Eddies relationship to get Jack Martin on the hook. Relationships are taken advantage of constantly to improve lists. No different to using Eddie to lure Williams. Bagging Liddle for giving us the option to talk to Ellis is selective and unwarranted criticism IMHO.
Sos explained Butler wasn’t a priority because they already had committed to Betts, we were trying to add Papley and Martin.

Pointless to target him when we were trying to land the others.

Last edited:
Conflicts of interest exist in all walks of life.

People know this and said conflicts are managed without people having to lose their jobs.

That's a facile argument.

Very few conflicts of interest are this big as I've addressed in my previous post, and wasn't just the ongoing management of Jack and Ben's contracts that was the issue. SOS was unable to listen to other points of view, and as we saw last year, is blinkered in his approach to recruiting. Not even giving some players the opportunity to interview is really poor management, and shows a real lack of diligence. I'd actually hazard a guess SOS didn't bother interviewing Ellis and Butler deliberately to spite Liddle.

The Butler non-decision was horrendous, and even moreso watching Butler this year.

Could we separate the SOS stuff into a different thread.

No offence but the personal politics of men who can't get along is less interesting to me then the price we pay for Saad

I disagree. He's addressing it now because SEN want the headline prior to him joining them for trade radio. Its completely self interested and just continues to emphasize that its Silvagni first, club second.

And for those saying its a potential conflict - that's a cop out. Its a clear conflict which is why the club had said he wouldn't be involved in the drafting decisions of his sons (it follows that list management decisions also excluded him). The issue is that as his sons developed in their career, he has a clear conflict in list management if we get an expression of interest from a player that would replace Jack or Ben in the 22.

Funnily enough, it was SOS that recruited McGovern and Kemp, displacing Jack as a forward and utility respectively. Delisting Ben would have been the tricky part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back