Bluemour Melting Pot XXVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the Bluemour File OP, this is a thread for discussing Carlton related rumours.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bluemour-file.1085141/

Rumour posters should post their rumours in both threads for those that like just to read rumours and for those that like to have get lost in their rumour files.

Remember ... #Bluemour

Continued from here ...

Continued here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Richmond also push there half forwards up to play as extra mids while also allowing them an extra in defence, they then just swarm the ball forward through handball and run or overwhelm the opponent through sheer numbers, not sure a lot of Richmond’s players would be any good playing another brand at a different club but by god it works for them and it pisses me off.

Yeah but to pull off that kind of game style you need players who are really fit and are good runners to be able to swarm and overlap run. If you look at their recruiting over the last 5 or so years, I think it's clear they've put an emphasis on these traits when drafting players. It's well known they have a stack of half forward running types...so much so they are getting the job done even without Butler/Caddy/Higgins. They ensure their lower picks who are lesser skilled, are at least good runners so they can just play a role (eg Lambert/McIntosh). Even all their KPDs are agile like Balta/Grimes/Broad who aren't typical big, slow KPD's.

Put it this way, i'm not so sure the likes of Castagna/Lambert/Pickett/McIntosh/Broad would be any good or make much difference to another team. I highly doubt they would have developed into the players they are now at least. They are the type of players who have just really benefited from a great system and play a role.

Bringing it back to Carlton, this is why I get a little concerned when we hear of players like Stocker having poor endurance...as a mid could he really keep up with Richmond's mids? Could he apply that intense defensive pressure they do and also surge forward when we have the ball? Probably not. Basically, I wouldn't mind seeing us essentially ruling out drafting any player with poor endurance...in the modern game it's a serious weakness. Have a few in your team and you'll get badly exposed by teams like Richmond who will run you into the ground...and no game plan will work if your players are simply unable to keep up, meaning the opposition has loose players everywhere.

I think we are so light on for mids, that we are only an injury or two away from catastrophe.
Id like one more bona fide mid to come in.
My opinion for what it's worth is that we need 3-4 elite/A Grade mids with a strong supporting cast (playing and depth) to genuinely compete.

I rate Cripps as our only genuine elite/AGrader. With Walsh if he plays there, and Williams to come in.

Tigers - Martin, Prestia, Cotchin,Edwards, Lambert, Graham
Cats - Selwood, Guthrie, Duncan, Parfitt, Menagola.
Bulldogs - Bont, Macrea, Hunter, Smith, Libba
Demons - Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw
Port - Wines, Rockliffe, Boak, Amon
Lions- Zorko, Neal, McLuggage, Lyons
Pies - Adams, Pendlebury,Treloar, Sidebottom

We definitely need another A grade mid.

I may be over-valuing what we have in Setterfield, but I did say at the start of the year, that he could be the mid that makes all the difference for us.
I know not many of us value ECurnow, but he does a lot of work that if he were a little cleaner, we'd have him in the Viney, Menegola, Rockcliff category.

A starting midfield of Cripps, Williams, Walsh, Setterfield and ECurnow isn't too bad at all.
The trick will now be for one/two/three of our younger guys to elevate themselves beyond what we thought possible and it's not hard to see where they may come from. Kemp & Stocker were MIA this year. Dow was injured. SPS played out of position. Fisher played out of his natural position etc.

I want to be surprised and will be disappointed if not, given what I saw of Setterfield and Stocker pre-season.

Yeah not sure but IF we were going to pick up a purely depth ruck in case of an injury crisis, i'd be thinking someone like these 2 on a really cheap contract and pick up as DFA or something. 1 year contract, see what transpires end of 2021.

Otherwise i'd be prepared to go with just Pitto/TDK/Cas. It's not that out of the ordinary to other clubs...we're used to an injury prone Kreuzer meaning we needed lots of ruck depth but if you have a durable ruck should be OK.

Or an eating problem.... I mean who eats with their nose.. oh wait

I have no issue with what he did. It’s a GF and if you’ve got the chance to put the hurt on someone you do it.
When was the last time a Carlton player hurt someone?
Sunday August 30, 2020...
Carlton Vs Collingwood, 4th Quarter, Carlton hurt me deeply... 😭

For hours afterwards I contemplated ending it all........................................................................................ And becoming a Brisbane Lions Supporter..

Luckily I kept the faith and got to witness us get flogged by Adelaide :sick:

Ben McKay is with the same management group as Sam Walsh (and Tom Papley)

Doesn't his brother know a few Carlton people? :rolleyes::think:

Yeah but to pull off that kind of game style you need players who are really fit and are good runners to be able to swarm and overlap run. If you look at their recruiting over the last 5 or so years, I think it's clear they've put an emphasis on these traits when drafting players. It's well known they have a stack of half forward running types...so much so they are getting the job done even without Butler/Caddy/Higgins. They ensure their lower picks who are lesser skilled, are at least good runners so they can just play a role (eg Lambert/McIntosh). Even all their KPDs are agile like Balta/Grimes/Broad who aren't typical big, slow KPD's.

Put it this way, i'm not so sure the likes of Castagna/Lambert/Pickett/McIntosh/Broad would be any good or make much difference to another team. I highly doubt they would have developed into the players they are now at least. They are the type of players who have just really benefited from a great system and play a role.

Bringing it back to Carlton, this is why I get a little concerned when we hear of players like Stocker having poor endurance...as a mid could he really keep up with Richmond's mids? Could he apply that intense defensive pressure they do and also surge forward when we have the ball? Probably not. Basically, I wouldn't mind seeing us essentially ruling out drafting any player with poor endurance...in the modern game it's a serious weakness. Have a few in your team and you'll get badly exposed by teams like Richmond who will run you into the ground...and no game plan will work if your players are simply unable to keep up, meaning the opposition has loose players everywhere.

Also remember the core of Richmond’s players are 26-30 years old, seasoned by 8-10 pre-seasons. Stocker has plenty of time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also remember the core of Richmond’s players are 26-30 years old, seasoned by 8-10 pre-seasons. Stocker has plenty of time.

great to have a mots avatar around the place - there was another I think............

I may be over-valuing what we have in Setterfield, but I did say at the start of the year, that he could be the mid that makes all the difference for us.
I know not many of us value ECurnow, but he does a lot of work that if he were a little cleaner, we'd have him in the Viney, Menegola, Rockcliff category.

A starting midfield of Cripps, Williams, Walsh, Setterfield and ECurnow isn't too bad at all.
The trick will now be for one/two/three of our younger guys to elevate themselves beyond what we thought possible and it's not hard to see where they may come from. Kemp & Stocker were MIA this year. Dow was injured. SPS played out of position. Fisher played out of his natural position etc.

I want to be surprised and will be disappointed if not, given what I saw of Setterfield and Stocker pre-season.

Agree. We have plenty of talent, they just need games and pre-seasons under their belts. Every A grade (or even B++) player we add brings our youngsters more into the play. Jack Martin did that and so will Williams and Saad. Agree Setters has some Bont like characteristics, another preseason in the Gym and he will be a beast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfielder is good extractor & distributor of he football, with above average footy IQ, endurance and speed.

You got 4 in the centre at the bounce, you got 2 wings. You got the plus 1 forward flanker that adds a number to the stoppage. You need a couple of inside extractor and distributor mids, and you need some receive, run and carry types. Your wings will be running machines but rarely play an extractor role. Cottrell is a prototype young wingman, but Walsh can play it well but can also play inside. Williams will add a pacy ball user to be getting it from Crippa and Ed. We have good midfield stocks, they are just young and still developing.

Agree. We have plenty of talent, they just need games and pre-seasons under their belts. Every A grade (or even B++) player we add brings our youngsters more into the play. Jack Martin did that and so will Williams and Saad. Agree Setters has some Bont like characteristics, another preseason in the Gym and he will be a beast.

Yeah I think we have plenty of scope to improve from underneath, I think Geelongs improvement this year has come from there second tier mids in Menagola, Duncan, Cam (the unbeliever) Guthrie and to a lesser extent Parfitt lifting there games and I think while our guys are of younger less experienced stock and won’t reach those heights yet there is enormous potential for a big step forward. So I don’t want the club to throw the baby out with the bath water by paying to much for an experienced mid that we may not need this time next year.

Yeah I pegged him as a great Jones replacement earlier in the year and he has improved his stocks even more since then, would be perfect if we could get it done imo, a McKay at either end yes please.

He’s the one to pair up with Jacob Weitering....KPDs set for nearly a decade of assault

Yeah I pegged him as a great Jones replacement earlier in the year and he has improved his stocks even more since then, would be perfect if we could get it done imo, a McKay at either end yes please.

If for nothing else just to confuse the opposition

Our list age profile has the bulk of our talent between 20-26 years old...think we're really well set up for sustained success and finals, potentially starting next year but being a real threat from 2022-2025 in particular which is when the likes of Cripps/Doc/Williams/Saad will be around 26-30 throughout those years.

Eg in 2023 those guys would be around 28/29, Walsh 23 and all our talent inbetween including Fisher/Weitering/McKay/Curnow/Setterfield etc within those agre brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back