Votes: 26 47.3%
  • The World Game

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Other (any suggestions welcome)

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Calcio!

"The World Game" is by far the best IMO.

Isnt "Soccer" taken from some English FA name or something, as (historically) a reference to English Football?

Surely there is more to this board than England.

Originally posted by Smokin
Calcio!

"The World Game" is by far the best IMO.

Isnt "Soccer" taken from some English FA name or something, as (historically) a reference to English Football?

Surely there is more to this board than England.

Soccer is indeed an abbreviation from Association Football, being the Football Association (the "FA") that ran and runs Soccer in England, as opposed to (say) Rugby Football, which was run by the Rugby Football Union (the "RFU"), which ran and runs what is now called Rugby Union.

My paternal grandfather, a Welshman, would always called Rugby Union "Football", much to my fury, since, even as a small child, I could tell that they used their hands in Union and only put their foot to the ball as a last resort, usually to kick it out of play.

However, paradoxically, no one in England would call Football "Soccer" apart from people who loathed the game (ie feral, rugby-playing Welshmen), whereas it has become the universal name for the game which Sir Les refers to as "The World Game".

Ironic, ain't it, Suzi?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Voice of Reason

Soccer is indeed an abbreviation from Association Football, being the Football Association (the "FA") that ran and runs Soccer in England, as opposed to (say) Rugby Football, which was run by the Rugby Football Union (the "RFU"), which ran and runs what is now called Rugby Union.

My paternal grandfather, a Welshman, would always called Rugby Union "Football", much to my fury, since, even as a small child, I could tell that they used their hands in Union and only put their foot to the ball as a last resort, usually to kick it out of play.

However, paradoxically, no one in England would call Football "Soccer" apart from people who loathed the game (ie feral, rugby-playing Welshmen), whereas it has become the universal name for the game which Sir Les refers to as "The World Game".

Ironic, ain't it, Suzi?

My paternal Welsh Grandfather (From Merthyr Tydfil) never referred to Rugby as Football. A Welsh Rugby Union and League playing Uncle also refered to his game only as rugby, I never heard him call it football.

I'm a Yorkshireman and plenty of us Tykes refer to football as soccer. The same is also true in Rugby League area's of Lancashire.

Back