Media Bob's Stats - The Free Kick Table For Season 30

Remove this Banner Ad

What is a Free Kick Table, Bob?
I learned many things about the SFA last season:
  • That it exists;
  • That it's a community of many campaigners with many different personalities from all walks of life (and that's just TJASTA);
  • That the sim is an evil sentient genius that, underneath its randomness has patterns that it forms;
  • That RookieChat is a powerful force for good;
  • That a representative team comprised primarily of midfielders caused the downfall of the Roman Empire;
  • That producing stats-based threads is the key to winning bullshit awards.
So I'm throwing my hat into the ring and adding another string to the Bob's Franchisesᵀᴹ bow. Please welcome:

bob's stats.jpg
The first piece of statistical analysis that's been commissioned by Bob's Statistics is the Free Kick Table. Free kicks are a very emotive topic in football, however it seems that the 'random' nature of qootball displaces that emotion from umpires to the sim. One way to look at this is a free kick differential, which aggregates free kicks over a period of time and shows which teams receive more than others.

My Free Kick Table takes this one step further, and aggregates the impact of free kicks on a game-by-game basis to see who won the free kick count in each game. So pretty much what would happen if you replaced goals and points scored with free kicks received. My hypothesis is that even though there should be minimal variation in the overall aggregate of free kicks over a season, however the variation would be greater in the aggregation of free kick results per game over a season. Or to put it in terms that stats nerds will get a semi over:

H₀: Variation in overall FK aggregate = Variation in FK game result aggregation
H₁: Variation in overall FK aggregate ≠ Variation in FK game result aggregation

Trying to describe it in words is one thing, but an example would seal the deal right?

breaking bad right.gif

Thanks Heisenberg!

So to give you all an example of how it works, here's the Free Kick Table for season 29.

s29 fk ladder.JPG
Legend:
Win: Number of games where team's free kicks > opposition's free kicks;
Draw: Number of games where team's free kicks = opposition's free kicks;
Loss: Number of games where team's free kicks < opposition's free kicks;
Points: Like a normal ladder - 4 points for a win, 2 points for a draw, 0 points for a loss;
For: Total number of free kicks received;
Against: Total number of free kicks conceded;
Diff: Differential between number of free kicks for and against;
Home: Free kick differential for games played at home;
Away: Free kick differential for games played away;
Win: Free kick differential for games won;
Loss: Free kick differential for games lost;
%: Differential expressed as a percentage;
Ladder Var: Variation between position in Free Kick Table and Official (Points Scored) Table.

My hot analytical takes on this are:
  • Warriors were stone cold robbed, as were the Dragons & Bears to a lesser extent;
  • Roys were kissed on the peen;
  • Bombers & Gumbies were unable to convert free kick success to regular success;
  • Furies were able to take advantage of the free kick support given, as were the Demons;
  • Swamprats punched slightly above their weight;
  • Royals weren't loved, either by the sim or themselves;
  • Whoreks & Wonders were average.

"Yeah but what's under the covers, Bob?" I hear myself thinking you'll ask next. Well, glad we did. Here's the breakdown for each club:

BOM29.JPG
CIW29.JPG
DRA29.JPG
ESH29.JPG
FUR29.JPG
GCR29.JPG
GUM29.JPG
LVB29.JPG
MBD29.JPG
ROY29.JPG
SCS29.JPG
WON29.JPG

How about them stats! Easy peasy, feelin' queasy.

understand.gif

So there's your baseline. Throughout season 30 I'll keep track on how the Free Kick Table is progressing, and will provide regular updates & analysis. Will the trends of season 29 continue? Or will the sim even things up?

Stay tuned, nerds.

I learned many things about the SFA last season:
  • That it exists;
  • That it's a community of many campaigners with many different personalities from all walks of life (and that's just TJASTA);
  • That the sim is an evil sentient genius that, underneath its randomness has patterns that it forms;
  • That RookieChat is a powerful force for good;
  • That a representative team comprised primarily of midfielders caused the downfall of the Roman Empire;
  • That producing stats-based threads is the key to winning bullshit awards.
This I can guarantee you is a Lie !!!..... I tried it, and dropped down to basement level in the beez voting ....now I have to put up with those IT Nerds !

This I can guarantee you is a Lie !!!..... I tried it, and dropped down to basement level in the beez voting ....now I have to put up with those IT Nerds !
Tonga Bob has clearly discovered the key to winning the EKA a few weeks too late. ;)

tenor.gif

having 2 columns in your table labelled "Win" and 2 labelled "Loss" is leading to reader's confusion, at least thats what they are telling me.

The rest is well thought out and shows WE WAS ROBBED BY THE STOOPID UMPS

Tonga Bob has clearly discovered the key to winning the EKA a few weeks too late. ;)
Fancy leading for the whole race the EKA ....and then stopping for a photo opportunity 10 mtrs B4 the finish line

Last edited:
View attachment 923787

having 2 columns in your table labelled "Win" and 2 labelled "Loss" is leading to reader's confusion, at least thats what they are telling me.

The rest is well thought out and shows WE WAS ROBBED BY THE STOOPID UMPS
See this is the kind of feedback I'm after.

TIL I had a kid with Grand Uncle Horace and we called him Bob

Where am I? Is this the utilities cupboard? Oh there is Barry, the oddly urbane caretaker in this joint. Why is holding a caterwauling baby?

Oh this is about free kicks. Can I get one? Does it involve kicking Bob?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where am I? Is this the utilities cupboard? Oh there is Barry, the oddly urbane caretaker in this joint. Why is holding a caterwauling baby?

Oh this is about free kicks. Can I get one? Does it involve kicking Bob?
I will caterwaul the sh*t out of you Gramps.

ESH29.JPG
Hawks lost in Rd12.

This is great and all, but all I need to know, will it help or hinder my attempts to divert blame to the umps.

If it is going to strengthen my "we was robbed" narrative, Im prepared to give this the credence it deserves. If it doesn't, free kick counts mean nothing, second to the ball and and all that nonsense.

Round One
Welcome back nerds.

As threatened, here's an update on the Free Kick Table after the opening round of matches.

s30 r1.JPG

Hot takes of the week:
  • Roys are still kissed on the peen;
  • Dragons overcame free kick adversity to prevail;
  • Wonders were given a stepladder but fell off it;
  • And the Gumbies grit their teeth...
cats bum.gif

It's still early days so there's no season specific trends yet, but they will come.

Finally, a big shout out to Gumbies rookie omgfridge for conceding seven (7) free kicks in your first match! Let's see you go one better (or worse really) this week.

palpatine.gif

Round Two
Welcome back to the stats thread that's so good that Frank Sinatra unwittingly wrote a song about it. A thread so tough that stage 4 restrictions can't stop it. A thread so meaningless that nobody touched it in a week.

Here's the table:

s30 r2.JPG

This week's hot takes:
  • Wonders are still not taking advantage of the 'West Coast advantage';
  • Gumbies still being done dirty;
  • Dragons remain the yang to the Wonders' yin;
  • Swamprats' output on both sides of the ledger is a mood.
The variance between the match & free kick tables has blown out which, at this early juncture, shows that there is minimal correlation between the two. But the season is still young.

bob tin .jpg

Final call out [places tin foil hat squarely on head] is the positive correlation between my starting this thread and the number of free kicks that I've conceded this season. Bastards are on to me.

---------------------------------------------------------
RankFAPlayerTeam
1:10OMGFRIDGE(GUM)
2:8TONGA BOB(CIW)
3:7LJP86(DRA)
4:7SERIAL_THR(DRA)
5:6HATE(FUR)
6:6FIRESTARTE(SCS)
7:6SPUDDD(GUM)
8:5BEEG(CIW)
9:5MANNUMPOWE(SCS)
10:5AKKAPS(SCS)
---------------------------------------------------------

Righto, that's all for this week nerds. Until we meet again.

martin.gif

Round Three
It's free kick time again nerds!

Let's take a Butcher's at the Free Kick Table after yesterday's round.

s30 r3.JPG

What does it all mean, Bob?
  • The 'home ground advantage' for the Wonders & Roys continues, and for once the Wonders were able to capitalise on it;
  • Winning a free kick count didn't help the Gumbies win a game of qooty;
  • The Dragons' streak continues;
  • There were at least 10 players that received more free kicks than the whole of the Swamprats total of three (3) frees, one of whom (Marlowe) received twice as many.

In terms of individuals excelling in the free kick stakes, Marlowe is joined by rookie Roy RobR atop the umpires' Christmas Card list, both earning 16 so far this season. On the other side of the ledger young Gumby omgfridge has his light still on, maintaining his lead after a stellar 8 free-kick-against debut to sit on 12 for the season. The other players in double figures for frees against are S29 shittrucks Tonga Bob (11) & serial_thrilla (10).

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading, and if you'd like to leave a comment for the SFA umpires then please feel free to click the below image.

ump 2.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back