Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce you to the sport/martial art that i play/study. Hopefully get some people interested in it as its a rapidly growing martial art in Australia headed by the Will/Machado academy. Brazilian jiu jitsu (jujutsu, BJJ, Jiu-Jutsu).

The style is submission fighting, there is no Striking. And is kind of like reverse judo. In judo you have a lot of takedowns and crap ground game, whereas in BJJ you have a crap/ok takedown repertoire and an awesome ground game.

BJJ is often the style used by fighters in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) when the fight hits the ground (minus the striking).
Basic premise is a small guy should be able to beat a large guy by breaking him down and taking away his advantages, relying on technique to overcome a power advantage, as such it is a perfect self defense system for women, children and smaller guys. However every martial art has its downsides, with BJJ its difficult to grapple multiple attackers.

In competition a point system is used in case a submission doesnt end the match before the alloted time is up. (I.E. 2 points for a takedown etc)

BJJ revolves around a couple of main points:

Takedowns
[youtube]g6GPhgsCMmQ[/youtube]

Passing (getting to a more advantageous position)
[youtube]fXzaLfWTTLk[/youtube]

Submissions:
Chokes (blood and air)
[youtube]IXbHXVPriow[/youtube]

Joint Locks
[youtube]N1-vZFKBEaA[/youtube]

And then theres all the crazy stuff:
[youtube]YTgfEBHwp7I[/youtube][youtube]6WWgmHAvsrs[/youtube]

Submission (giving up due to a choke/lock/pain) is indicated by tapping multiple times on your partner or ground to indicate to them you give up. Tapping on yourself is dangerous as often the opponent wont hear or feel anything and will continue to apply the submission hold, which can lead to passing out or damage of joints (most commonly broken arm at the elbow or shoulder).

Feel free to post questions and ill try answer them.

www.bjj.com.au

I'm pretty sure Funky is going to be interested in this sport.

Wouldn't it be more fun if the opponents were naked?

How come funky will be interested?

Yeah it would be way more fun if the opponent was female and naked as well. I did almost get choked out with a girls boob once... best way to almost lose ever

I'm sure luminaries such as Zondor and Devil Fish would be very interested in the submission aspects of this game.

Submission is hella fun. It makes me happy.

PS. i just got home from town and am drizzunk

jiu-jitsu.jpg

Thats what happens when you teach MMA guys Jiu Jitsu.. they love running around in nothing but shorts. BJJ guys generally wear clothes.

529200840722PM_bbb19423e8.jpg

10000117.jpg
(inb4 theres a spelling mistake)

I'm sure luminaries such as Zondor and Devil Fish would be very interested in the submission aspects of this game.

Them, Onip and Artichoke would form one hell of a formidable tag team with Krakouer Brothers' like understanding of each other's moves!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went C-R-A-P, tendonitis/arm injury prevented me using my left side much at all and ended up with a major cramp in my right leg. Got spinal cranked (which is illegal btw) and couldnt move my neck for near on 15 minutes. Did hit probably the best sub in the division though.

Here's a vid from the comp, Not me though, have no footage of myself.

[youtube]zGpz72ghYLE[/youtube]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back