Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookie sacking the coach now will set us back exponentially.
Now if we’re talking assistant caoaches well that’s a different story. Start with Fraser ,the worst vfl coach I can think of that you want developing your kids. I’ve been in the rooms at half time and he’s very underwhelming. I’d go as far as saying he has NFI. Why is Barker still there, where’s the fresh ideas and messages?
Bolton is fine.

interesting comments about fraser. He doesnt inspire during media interviews. I always assumed that the club were happy with what he brings to the development table.

That analogy makes no sense whatsoever. It would be more accurate to say you should probably wait to confirm you have cancer before undergoing radical experimental treatment that may or may not fix the problem.

I have no doubt that Bolton is a decisive factor in our retention of young players. He's clearly not going easy on them, nor is the club, they're being challenged and pushed to their limit, but the coach is obviously mindful that it is important to create a buffer between expectations and results so they don't become disillusioned and jump ship.

What happens if we blame Bolton for not winning enough games during a rebuild (on an unprecedented scale), and in doing so Charlie jumps to Geelong, SPS and Fisher go West, McKay gets poached by Hawthorn etc. etc? I understand we can't just keep a good bloke on forever despite poor performance, but at this point in time "performance" is more than just wins and losses. Wins and losses need to be a component of it, but when people call for Bolton's head it's pretty much the only thing they can build their case on, and in doing so they completely overlook the other KPI's the club would have in place.

Brad Scott came out and said he'd underestimated how much learning would need to happen when they added Hall, Polec and Pittard to their side, and that bringing in those new players plus their draftees has had an immediate detrimental effect on their on-field cohesion. The caveat is that they believe when everything clicks, those players will add significant value to their side. Ex players and media pundits have agreed - it'll take time. And here's a Carlton who have added McGovern, Newman, Fasolo, Setterfield, Walsh and Gibbons to their starting 22.

People just need to chill out on the Bolton element. GWS went 18th, 18th, 16th, 11th in their first four seasons, and they had many more concessions than we have had to bring in quality players. Bolton has seen us go 14, 16, 18, but we'd had to cull and replace players year on year, rather than being able to cherry pick some senior players and then dominate one draft to fill out our list.

Watching our team play, it is plain to me that we are So. Damn. Close. We've gone from having the occasional passage of good play, to being able to score heavily across a full quarter. Yes, there are s**t quarters as well. Fatigue, focus, opposition reactions - they're all things that we can learn to overcome with more games into our players.

Massive post

lets not forget that in the first 3 rounds we were highly competitive. unlike last year, when we NEVER looked like winning, all 3 games gave us moments where we looked as though we could win. That in itself is a huge change.
Secondly, lets analyse who we played
1 Tigers- near full strength. enough said
2 Port - only time will tell, but their victory over the demons was super impressive.
3 Swans- Are always competitive with a lot of experienced players

That is 3 clubs that I and many others judge to be all top half sides.

This week: GCS's They are not in the same league as the teams above. They are gettable. BUT they are no push over- there are no push over teams this year. I expect a win. We simply have to start taking scalps to calm the critics. its bulltish that the club isnt talking about wins and losses internally. they have to be bleeding at the moment. Bolton will be fired up this week

the squawking when you get a bit of pushback regarding your negativity - oh boo hoo - no-one likes my criticisms - what garbage - fact is there are more posters here that support and engage positively with the club and its players and its coach regardless of the circumstances than there are cry-babies like yourself who expect things to pan out they way they want them to - not everything is going to plan at the moment - or is it - try swapping your tedious whingeing and entitled judgmentalism with a touch more support of the club that has delivered you plenty
Can you please refrain from the personal insults...I have not called you a cry baby or any kind of comments like that. I have asked for clarification from you or to support your point with evidence - which you did not produce. (It is hard to engage with you when you constantly post alot of one liners).

I am supporting the club, I financially support them pretty much without question - even laughed at by family members for the support I give the club during some extremely lean years.

Once again... I will ask can you produce some posts where I have been unreasonably negative about the club in this thread?

Generally nobody here is calling for Boltons sacking, they are questioning if he can transition from a development coach to game/tactically proficient coach and they are questioning the game plan. To which many are losing it like people are at the clubs doors with pitchforks - that's just no happening.

Generally nobody here is calling for Boltons sacking, they are questioning if he can transition from a development coach to game/tactically proficient coach and they are questioning the game plan.
... with the intention being, that if performance doesn't improve as calculated by wins/losses - from radically to marginally - then Bolton should get the sack at the end of the year.

Call a spade a spade. Do you think what I have written above to be an acceptable summary of what you think?

This thread is as ridiculous as the main board.

Never before has this board been split quite to this degree, that you've got one half accusing the other of wanting to tar and feather the coach, with the other dismissing the claims from the other half wholesale, for a variety of reasons. Exaggeration is rampant, as is accusation. It's 'them vs us' in here; microcosms of Carlton, of posters, bricking up their walls and fortifying little stockades to keep out the other.

******* hell.

:mad:

At least on the main board, you have the excuse of multiple teams and club enmities, instead of what's just a ridiculous distinction between supposed naysayers and yaysayers.

I'm not. I'm sick of it.

I signed up to Bigfooty to have good spirited conversations about footy, since my uncle passed away and I didn't have anyone else who was interested. I did not sign up to join a side of an ongoing board split, and to constantly s**t fight with other people over what they're saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... with the intention being, that if performance doesn't improve as calculated by wins/losses - from radically to marginally - then Bolton should get the sack at the end of the year.

Call a spade a spade. Do you think what I have written above to be an acceptable summary of what you think?
If we don't improve our wins off an already low base or the gameplan is poor.

Football department review would be a start.

At the very least a senior footy department person put in place. Ie Neil Craig, eade at the pies. BB needs support.

I'm not. I'm sick of it.

I signed up to Bigfooty to have good spirited conversations about footy, since my uncle passed away and I didn't have anyone else who was interested. I did not sign up to join a side of an ongoing board split, and to constantly s**t fight with other people over what they're saying.
It settles eventually. Gotta surf the toxic wave to calmer waters.

Can you please refrain from the personal insults...I have not called you a cry baby or any kind of comments like that. I have asked for clarification from you or to support your point with evidence - which you did not produce. (It is hard to engage with you when you constantly post alot of one liners).

I am supporting the club, I financially support them pretty much without question - even laughed at by family members for the support I give the club during some extremely lean years.

Once again... I will ask can you produce some posts where I have been unreasonably negative about the club in this thread?

Generally nobody here is calling for Boltons sacking, they are questioning if he can transition from a development coach to game/tactically proficient coach and they are questioning the game plan. To which many are losing it like people are at the clubs doors with pitchforks - that's just no happening.
I'll try. Fmd.....

If we don't improve our wins off an already low base or the gameplan is poor.

Football department review would be a start.

At the very least a senior footy department person put in place. Ie Neil Craig, eade at the pies. BB needs support.
Like I said earlier - re, a few days ago - Shandog proposed a gameday coach, with Bolton being the person that forms the overarching strategy and is the head coach, but the new bloke runs the team during the games. I'm loathe to dismiss Bolton's coaching, though, for reasons we've already outlined ad nauseum, but in the event that Bolton's gameday coaching isn't up to snuff I'd be interested in innovating here.

What I will say is this: we do not have nearly an adequate enough sample size of Bolton desperately coaching to win a game of footy. What we have is a whole host of spirited comebacks, rejigged backlines on the fly, modified clearance setups to compensate for a player or two's absence (Cripps and Ed in 2015, tail end of the year; we took 2 weeks before we got back to winning roughly the same amount of clearances/contested ball/tackles as we had before their absence) and fluency on occasion. What I see when I watch us play is a coaching team deliberately and blatantly backing their structures; why this is occurring is completely open to interpretation. Is it because, like Longmire/Simpson/Buckley/Sheedy/Malthouse, Bolton can craft a decent plan A, but is unable to tweak his settings on gameday? Is it because he cannot build a gameplan at all, instead leaving it to the assistant coaches, like Damien Hardwick? Is it because he's trying to teach them something, to stand firm when the game's against you, tough love style?

Who ******* knows? I don't. What I do know is that we've been doing this for the better part of a week, and we're not any closer to a) agreement in any form, or b) any real resolution as to whether or not Bolton can coach.

I like a good argument, but this is starting to become unfun.

Most of you campaigners on here have no ******* idea what the hell you are babbling about. Its epically tragic reading.
shutup though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back