Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you play him Soapy ahead of which fit player? Sure give him a game of ten if you like but he has the dropsies and that means little self belief - a junior Kerridge without the fitness base or size. He should play VFL rack up 25+ every game and be super clean as well as a lot faster if he is to make an impact against good sides.

This notion of playing young kids because they are young only works with elite talent. if you clog up the side with too many experiments you end up with what we witnessed against Suns.
and last year against Port.

You're writing off a 20 year old 4th round draft pick after 2 games at senior level.

I'm not sure it's those defending him with a little perspective are the ones deserving of the rolling eyes.

Actually if you read what i wrote - I am writing off O'Shea/Mullett/Lamb and Polson. What is to defend did you watch the game? Coach killing fumbles and bumbles and dropped uncontested chest marks in clear space - a spaghetti of spudness.

here is another roll eyes:rolleyes:

and btw - my post was defending the coach - that is the topic.

and last year against Port.

I thought we all agreed NEVER to bring that game up again .... I still have trembling flashbacks when I walk through the lounge room and Sunrise is on ... I want to smash my 84" smart TV.

Actually if you read what i wrote - I am writing off O'Shea/Mullett/Lamb and Polson. What is to defend did you watch the game? Coach killing fumbles and bumbles and dropped uncontested chest marks in clear space - a spaghetti of spudness.

Agree with the first 3 ... Polson may take a little more than 2 games to show signs mate ...

BTW ... who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Where do you play him Soapy ahead of which fit player? Sure give him a game of ten if you like but he has the dropsies and that means little self belief - a junior Kerridge without the fitness base or size. He should play VFL rack up 25+ every game and be super clean as well as a lot faster if he is to make an impact against good sides.

This notion of playing young kids because they are young only works with elite talent. if you clog up the side with too many experiments you end up with what we witnessed against Suns.

So what would be the difference? The deckchairs aren't giving us anything positive and won't get any better.

I would play him ahead of Thomas, Lamb, Mullett, O'Shea etc. Any of the deckchairs. Needs to play. At absolute worst the club will then be able to make an accurate assessment of his worth at years end.

I can understand the fumbles for a kid in his first game in 12 months plus the whole side was poor. Not unusal. He will be fine. Nothing to do with self belief it's just getting used to the pace

So what would be the difference? The deckchairs aren't giving us anything positive and won't get any better.

I would play him ahead of Thomas, Lamb, Mullett, O'Shea etc. Any of the deckchairs. Needs to play. At absolute worst the club will then be able to make an accurate assessment of his worth.

I can understand the fumbles for a kid in his first game in 12 months. Not unusal. He will be fine. Nothing to do with self belief it's just getting used to the pace

This thread is about Bolton is not - a bunch of you have decided to pick one point of disagreement with what I wrote- Polson and make it about Polson - he is just one part of it all - Bolton is forced to make sub-optimal player picks, players who are either not up to AFL standards of fitness, strength or skill because of injury to list simple as that. When he had better choices available JLT and Richmond the team performed quite well - that is my point.

This thread is about Bolton is not - a bunch of you have decided to pick one point of disagreement with what I wrote- Polson and make it about Polson - he is just one part of it all - Bolton is forced to make sub-optimal player picks, players who are either not up to AFL standards of fitness, strength or skill because of injury to list simple as that. When he had better choices available JLT and Richmond the team performed quite well - that is my point.

Fairly strange point and unwarranted though.

As for Bolton we need to understand what is trying to be achieved. Wins or bigger picture stuff for the future?

Fairly strange point and unwarranted though.

As for Bolton we need to understand what is trying to be achieved. Wins or bigger picture stuff for the future?
'Strange' is YOUR construction
As for wins or future both are interrelated and I'm not the one pointing fingers at Bolton in this thread - thanks..
My opinion is that win/losses don't matter unless you are playing for finals position - but performance on the park and improvement DOES matter.
Bolton in my book has shown a team improvement so far this year- and I dont count suns loss as relevant because of all the missing structural elements in the team he decided to field.
i'm not 'catastrophising' Carlton's situation after one game - plenty are.

I read what you wrote and responded accordingly - it is ridiculous to write off a 20 year old playing in his second game, both of which were heavy losses.

Every single player had the fumbles on the weekend, it was shocking and arguably the worst overall display of handling the football I can remember in some time.

But yeah, let's blame the young kid for that and put a line through him...

Why no mention of the 6 tackles he laid in less than 75% game time, more than many of his senior team mates? For someone who bangs on about 'mongrel' and intent, I'd have thought that would be a pretty important indicator.

You can add as many emojis as you want, the post remains just as absurd with or without.

I read what you wrote and responded accordingly - it is ridiculous to write off a 20 year old playing in his second game, both of which were heavy losses.

Every single player had the fumbles on the weekend, it was shocking and arguably the worst overall display of handling the football I can remember in some time.

But yeah, let's blame the young kid for that and put a line through him...

Why no mention of the 6 tackles he laid in less than 75% game time, more than many of his senior team mates? For someone who bangs on about 'mongrel' and intent, I'd have thought that would be a pretty important indicator.

You can add as many emojis as you want, the post remains just as absurd with or without.

You think my post regarding Bolton is "absurd"...ok everyone is entitled to an opinion - thanks for sharing.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Shea/Mullett/Lamb/Polson are 4 more duds who Bolton has felt he had to play because of injuries add Garlett finding his feet to Murphy who cant tackle unless someone actually falls over near him - now take away a ruck and an on baller remove your FF to the ruck, and spice it up with an 8 goal haul from one opposition player and you have the " lets worry about Bolton martini cocktail " served up for anyone wanting to drink that kind of pain relief.

Carlton go into every game every week with the far weaker less developed or jut plain average on a good day bunch of players being propped up by some developing stars - and Bolton has to keep enthusiasm belief and standards up, a lot of pressure on a young coach. Fortunately, he is a talented thinker and doesn't mind the challenge.

Couldnt care less for Gibbs leaving and I wish Murphy had gone with him - very bad luck to see Docherty/Williamson/Pickett/McCreadie/Lobbe/ASOS/Lang/Kreuzer/Kennedy all unavailable for round 2 forcing Bolton to play so many potatoes against a far more developed side full of its own stars playing under a new coach who knows (like every other coach) how to exploit Carlton's list weaknesses.

The reason Bolton has every right to be positive and optimistic and realistic is that he can see the positive indicators happening in front of his eyes on a daily basis and he can measure his own KPI against his own benchmarks. JLT and Richmond showed quite clearly that with a half decent side on the paddock Carlton was able to move the ball through the corridor and challenge two of the better defending side's defensive structures -in Hawthorn and Richmond. Palpable improvement right there folks!

the Suns game merely highlighted the continuing lack of depth on the list - something which only time and less injuries can fix. The only 'error' I can see Bolton having made was to not play McKay in the absence of SOJ and the move of Casboult to ruck duties. Is that decision on Bolton or McKay - no one knows.

This season wont really 'start' as far as fair measurement of progress until at least Bolton has the luxury of fielding a side with the best on our list sans Docherty. As players start returning the weekly team structure options improve and the ability to implement the developing game plan in a continuous cycle of improvement develops accordingly.

In the meantime, people can point fingers at this player or the other for not being able to make up for the collective aggregate deficiencies further downfield - between the arcs. Lets not forget that the 66 game rebuild to get to base line competitiveness with other Clubs is still a year away. the only thing Bolton has to be worried about is doing all the hard work building a list and a game style under extremely prejudicial circumstances only to have his tenure brought to and by some nuff nuffs who know nothing about football but feel like a change is warranted - in 2 years time.

Right now - Richardson/Buckley/Cameron should be coaches that are sweating.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To quote Bruce "It's as good as it gets".

don't like 'duds' or 'potatoes' used to describe our players and polson deserves more time but the sentiment I agree with

Last edited:
Funnily enough, he was basically doing this for quite a few games in a row early last year. Then he got a debut in that Port game and seemed to lose confidence.

Didn't he get injured and out for most of second half of year....

Do you run a game plan to win a flag or do you run a game plan to suit your team? I always reckon at AFL level you run a game plan to win a flag.

Brett Ratten ran a game plan to suit his team and it won us some games but after years of accomodating ordinary players and players with poor attitudes and glaring deficiencies we ended up with an ordinary list and it covered up our poor recruiting far too much. Ratten did try make Carlton defend more in his last year but the discipline wasn't there from the players to make the most of it.

Mick Malthouse forced a game plan that he thought would win a premiership and it had, many teams had won flags and made grand finals with those fundamentals. Problem was we were badly exposed as those with deficiencies, poor skills and poor attitudes quickly became liabilities. We were supposed to chase and apply pressure and lock it in up forward and we didn't. We were supposed to go up the middle when it was on but not enough skills in the side to do it safely. Many of those players were got rid of, problem was it was mostly for nothing and it was all too late.

Brendan Bolton has come to Carlton and in his first few seasons has taught discipline and defence and signs have been positive. We played possession football, moved it slowly and went the boundary route a lot of the time. We forced the opposition to go wide and kept it wide and this brought our tall intercepting backline into play and we had some good performances. Particularly from our defence. Lost a lot of games but were rarely flogged. It was a good effort considering our list and some of our wins were really good wins.

This season we're asked to be more attacking and we are. We're getting the ball in the corridor and turning it over. We're allowing the opposition to turn the ball over and move it quick and direct and our defenders who spent all of last year zoning off and intercepting are being left wide open, unable to do this and unable to stop leading forwards with space. Our forward pressure and midfield pressure which was so good against Richmond was non-existent against GCS. Now we are seeing why Malthouse wouldn't allow us to use the corridor, even though his better sides did use it at times.

Despite this it's not a bad thing. We could go back to safe and defensive footy and protect players who can't kick, can't handball, can't defend, can't/won't run and won't chase. Or we could keep our current style and continue to expose these players and demand the improve or get off our list. This might be the difference between building a great team and building a mediocre team. It took Damien Hardwick a long time to build Richmond and a lot of game plan tinkering. It's going to take a long time for us to and a lot of tinkering. There is no doubt we need to get better at picking when to go direct and when to hold it up and go wide.

This will take time and it may see us go backwards but long term this might be good. Especially if we bloody get it and get players in who can!

Funnily enough, he was basically doing this for quite a few games in a row early last year. Then he got a debut in that Port game and seemed to lose confidence.
True.

Of interest though Pickett was roundly criticised for his performance in that game for making mistakes, a year on and his absence is seen as an important contributing factor to our losses.

Things change quick. From the good games I saw Polson play in the magoos he certainly has some skills we lack in the top side.

But he certainly not playing to that level at the moment.

Well the defense is where the issues are as well. For a start what ever happened to play next to your opponent when the opposition has the ball? Who gets to play on the opposition small forwards now without Bryne? Why did we trade in Matt Shaw and O'Shea when clearly we need a back pocket as a priority. We could've taken an Ethan Penrith type instead.
You're killing me.

You're thinking in terms of matchups and lockdown, when AFL just isn't played that way any more. The tactical innovation that saw the last two flags occur wasn't the manic tackling - though it helped - so much as a completely different philosophy towards defending and back line.

Instead of stoppers, teamwork to set up blocks and allow the interceptors to do their work. Faster, frankly shocking defenders in Johanison and Houli, receiving from those intercept disposals, and playing on to leapfrog the disarray of the setting zone defense; move it quickly, before they can set up.

Backlines aren't stoppers these days, they're a vehicle for attack. Had our midfield done their job and not given them more turnovers than room service, Jones wouldn't have looked as poor.

That's not to excuse his positioning, but he's copping a lot of s**t when only some of it is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back