Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am by no way about to jump on Bolton's back. I think that even the mere question of his suitability as head coach is probably about the worst thing that or senior management or board could do at this point...

But statistically this is probably the worst year we've had since we started being s**t in 2002. Can we continue to sweep that under the rug and find excuses? Something is amiss in the football department, there are probably people in positions that don't deserve to be there.

Tactically, we are all over the place. I haven't seen us struggle to move the ball upfield like this since Bolton came to the club. Generally we are static in our movement, and then when we try and move quickly we'll get to a wing position to find no suitable option presenting itself up forward. This is not to mention the myriad of bad decision making, and lack of run from behind the ball. There has to be answers for this.

I'd really like the club to undertake an independent audit of the football department. I reckon if you asked all Carlton Bigfooty Posters whether they would be happy to accept a wooden spoon this year, 100% of respondents would have said no. Why should we be OK with this now?

nice post, (scary that our top end is MORE experienced though!) I was looking into the Swans they seem to have a very similar spread to us in terms of experience. ( games played and age)
I'm sure Bolts would love some of those players at his disposal.

Yeah, it's scary how our top end experienced players such as O'Shea, Kerridge, Lamb and Mullett are so formidable.

Don't let those in-charge at Carlton and Brendan Bolton exploit your ignorance as a supporter of an AFL team.
We are a ladder based competition, not a branch of the Hillsong church, with Bolton as the preacher.

I am not known in these parts for my tolerance of ineffective coaching.

If all that mattered was winning each week and finishing as high up the ladder as we could this year then IMO you would be absolutely right to criticise BB.

Not only is winning each week and finishing as high up the ladder this year NOT the point, if you had listened preseason to "those in charge at Carlton and BB" you would know we were very far from that point in the rebuild.

Funnily enough I preferred our game against Melbourne than I did the game we won against Essendon. Sure we won against Essendon but I thought it was a very scrappy disorganised game and we won essentially because we weren't worse than Ess.

What I liked about our game against Melb was that we were much more organised. We almost squared the first quarter with half the number of forward 50 entries. I believe this was a demonstration of our system in offense highlighting the talents of those ultra experienced KPFs McKay and Kerr. Sure things fell away after that but at half time, comprehensively outplayed we were still in touch.

As I watched the game I was listening to ABC grandstand (and was surprised by the strategic analysis given by Brendan Goddard. Halfway through the 3rd quarter David Parkin suggested that to avoid a rout BB needed to man up one on one all around the ground. Doubtless had this suggestion been acted upon the end result would have been more flattering than the 109 point loss. I was very pleased that in the main BB did not adopt this strategy but stuck to his game plan.

Sure, this meant that we continued to cut across the ground from the back line until we found a free target who would then turn the ball over and open us up the other way. But that is how BB thinks we are going to win a flag when the personnel available does not consist of the inexperienced underweight bods that played yesterday.

Before this season began my hope/expectation was that Daisy would spend the entire season in the 2s bringing on our younger talent. I could not see any other point of giving him a further year. As it happens Daisy would be easily in our top 10 for the B&F. Maybe his form has improved, slightly. But mainly, those who would compete for his spot have been decimated by injury. That he not only gets a game each week but is unquestionably required is what I call "the Daisy index".

For me out of the side that competed yesterday are the following players: C and E Curnow, Williamson, Pickett, Marchbank, Byrne, Weitering, Kennedy Docherty and Caz. I would have picked those 10 players were they match fit and available over: Mullett, O'shea, Daisy, Kerridge, Rowe, Lang, Plowman, Kerr, Lamb and Garlett.

And then I like Garlett and Plowman and have time for most of the other 8, just not all in the same team. With those 10 in we gain huge amounts in gut running ability from the Curnows, Williamson, Weitering, Byrne and Marchbank. When the standard of the team lifts it is amazing how previously "ordinary" players can be very effective parts of the team. Our game plan is built around it.

Back in 1995 (which you seem to recall) I remember watching Matt Clape playing his first game back from an injury in the 2s at Princes Park. He was useless. I boldly predicted to anyone unfortunate enough to be in my presence that he would not get another senior game. Much to my surprise he played in the firsts the next week, was not dropped and played well in the GF. Parkin had a role for Clape (to run interference in the forward line to free Sticks, Pearce and Earl) and he executed perfectly. Garlett and Plowman (and others of the 10 I have mentioned, particularly Lamb who seems to like having a role) could become very effective contributors in that way in a better side.

Presumably I am like you in thinking that we would be better this year than last year. I thought we would win 10 games. The "Daisy index" tells me all I need to know as to our fate this year. Unlike you I don't really give a rats that we have only won one game. Winning 10 games or winning 0 games in a season is essentially an equivalent fail since neither gives us number 17 (but it IS nice to beat Essendon). Nor do I accept winning 10 games means a team is any closer to winning a flag than a team winning 0 games. It all depends. Look at St Kilda.

I also note your disappointment that we picked Weitering over Oliver. Not only do I accuse you of applying after the fact vision, more condemnatory of you I accuse you of a lack of forward vision. Weitering is an outstanding KPD. It was amazing he was able to play as well and as consistently as he did in his first season at just 18. Anyone who thinks we saw his best in 2016 has rocks in their head. "The SOS Plan" for rebuilding was to start the rebuild from the KPDs and then work forward. After that we can fill in the mids inside and out. Oliver is a fantastic inside mid. He is almost as good as Cripps. He wasn't recognised as being quite so outstanding as a mid in his draft year but was obviously highly regarded. We may quibble at the end of their respective careers as to who was the better footballer, Weitering or Oliver. Or maybe we will agree Oliver was a much better footballer.

Even "knowing" this now it would have been crazy for us not to have gone for Weitering: he was the best place to start the rebuild. You can always trade in useful mids if you have your team structure right. Every team except the Bulldogs (I don't see Suckling as a mid) have at least 1 solid, always picked if available mid that they picked up from somewhere else. This is because winning contested ball does NOT depend on team structure (see P. Cripps). Being an effective outside mid, back or forward DOES depend on team structure.

I think we gotta stick with Bolton ,the recruiting of experienced players in the last couple of years has been terrible.
Palmer,O’Shea,kerridge,mullet have gave us absolutely nothing and Graham isn’t up to AFL standard either.
If we don’t have players better in the twos than the ones I mentioned then we are in a worse state than I thought.

I know Palmer is no longer there but who could think he would’ve gave us anything?

Well Thy what’s your take on what’s going on with Weitering?
One thing is certain. We aren’t being told the full story.
My suspicion is that he doesn’t enjoy the hardness of AFL football. It’s very different from junior football in which he starred.

Thy's post had nothing to do with Weitering.

But statistically this is probably the worst year we've had since we started being s**t in 2002. Can we continue to sweep that under the rug and find excuses? Something is amiss in the football department, there are probably people in positions that don't deserve to be there.
Potentially, but everything looks like s**t after a 100 pt loss. Bolton has Teague and Bruce under him, both from highly successful systems. SOS has Brodie and Agresta under him, both highly regarded.

It's probably the best it's been in some time, that's not saying a whole lot given our past though. We shouldn't have blind faith either.

Tactically, we are all over the place. I haven't seen us struggle to move the ball upfield like this since Bolton came to the club. Generally we are static in our movement, and then when we try and move quickly we'll get to a wing position to find no suitable option presenting itself up forward.
The ball movement problem can largely be explained by the injuries. Think about the sort of attributes Docherty, Pickett, Cuningham, Williamson, Byrne, Murphy, Marchbank and Weitering have. Polson, LeBois (now injured) and Garlett haven't progressed as we hoped either.

This is not to mention the myriad of bad decision making, and lack of run from behind the ball. There has to be answers for this.
As above, a majority of our decent ball movers are missing. The replacements of O'Shea, Shaw and Mullett are sub-standard in this area.

This probably comes to the most valid criticism of Bolton-Silvagni at this point in time. Either Bolton hasn't requested the right type of mature role players or SOS hasn't found them, maybe both. Wright has probably been the only successful mature pick-up and even he's struggling at the moment.

If all that mattered was winning each week and finishing as high up the ladder as we could this year then IMO you would be absolutely right to criticise BB.

Not only is winning each week and finishing as high up the ladder this year NOT the point, if you had listened preseason to "those in charge at Carlton and BB" you would know we were very far from that point in the rebuild.

Funnily enough I preferred our game against Melbourne than I did the game we won against Essendon. Sure we won against Essendon but I thought it was a very scrappy disorganised game and we won essentially because we weren't worse than Ess.

What I liked about our game against Melb was that we were much more organised. We almost squared the first quarter with half the number of forward 50 entries. I believe this was a demonstration of our system in offense highlighting the talents of those ultra experienced KPFs McKay and Kerr. Sure things fell away after that but at half time, comprehensively outplayed we were still in touch.

As I watched the game I was listening to ABC grandstand (and was surprised by the strategic analysis given by Brendan Goddard. Halfway through the 3rd quarter David Parkin suggested that to avoid a rout BB needed to man up one on one all around the ground. Doubtless had this suggestion been acted upon the end result would have been more flattering than the 109 point loss. I was very pleased that in the main BB did not adopt this strategy but stuck to his game plan.

Sure, this meant that we continued to cut across the ground from the back line until we found a free target who would then turn the ball over and open us up the other way. But that is how BB thinks we are going to win a flag when the personnel available does not consist of the inexperienced underweight bods that played yesterday.

Before this season began my hope/expectation was that Daisy would spend the entire season in the 2s bringing on our younger talent. I could not see any other point of giving him a further year. As it happens Daisy would be easily in our top 10 for the B&F. Maybe his form has improved, slightly. But mainly, those who would compete for his spot have been decimated by injury. That he not only gets a game each week but is unquestionably required is what I call "the Daisy index".

For me out of the side that competed yesterday are the following players: C and E Curnow, Williamson, Pickett, Marchbank, Byrne, Weitering, Kennedy Docherty and Caz. I would have picked those 10 players were they match fit and available over: Mullett, O'shea, Daisy, Kerridge, Rowe, Lang, Plowman, Kerr, Lamb and Garlett.

And then I like Garlett and Plowman and have time for most of the other 8, just not all in the same team. With those 10 in we gain huge amounts in gut running ability from the Curnows, Williamson, Weitering, Byrne and Marchbank. When the standard of the team lifts it is amazing how previously "ordinary" players can be very effective parts of the team. Our game plan is built around it.

Back in 1995 (which you seem to recall) I remember watching Matt Clape playing his first game back from an injury in the 2s at Princes Park. He was useless. I boldly predicted to anyone unfortunate enough to be in my presence that he would not get another senior game. Much to my surprise he played in the firsts the next week, was not dropped and played well in the GF. Parkin had a role for Clape (to run interference in the forward line to free Sticks, Pearce and Earl) and he executed perfectly. Garlett and Plowman (and others of the 10 I have mentioned, particularly Lamb who seems to like having a role) could become very effective contributors in that way in a better side.

Presumably I am like you in thinking that we would be better this year than last year. I thought we would win 10 games. The "Daisy index" tells me all I need to know as to our fate this year. Unlike you I don't really give a rats that we have only won one game. Winning 10 games or winning 0 games in a season is essentially an equivalent fail since neither gives us number 17 (but it IS nice to beat Essendon). Nor do I accept winning 10 games means a team is any closer to winning a flag than a team winning 0 games. It all depends. Look at St Kilda.

I also note your disappointment that we picked Weitering over Oliver. Not only do I accuse you of applying after the fact vision, more condemnatory of you I accuse you of a lack of forward vision. Weitering is an outstanding KPD. It was amazing he was able to play as well and as consistently as he did in his first season at just 18. Anyone who thinks we saw his best in 2016 has rocks in their head. "The SOS Plan" for rebuilding was to start the rebuild from the KPDs and then work forward. After that we can fill in the mids inside and out. Oliver is a fantastic inside mid. He is almost as good as Cripps. He wasn't recognised as being quite so outstanding as a mid in his draft year but was obviously highly regarded. We may quibble at the end of their respective careers as to who was the better footballer, Weitering or Oliver. Or maybe we will agree Oliver was a much better footballer.

Even "knowing" this now it would have been crazy for us not to have gone for Weitering: he was the best place to start the rebuild. You can always trade in useful mids if you have your team structure right. Every team except the Bulldogs (I don't see Suckling as a mid) have at least 1 solid, always picked if available mid that they picked up from somewhere else. This is because winning contested ball does NOT depend on team structure (see P. Cripps). Being an effective outside mid, back or forward DOES depend on team structure.
wow we must have been watching a different game, I can't say I've had that reaction from fellow Carlton supporters in the real world.
I guess that's what they call polishing a turd.

I just don't think the balance has been right, the middle of the road players brought in by SOS like Kerridge, Mullet, O Shea and others and keeping a guy like Thomas is very questionable, in a rebuild you should only bring in youngs or Guns.
Clearly something isn't right.
42 list changes. Can’t replace them all at once. Simply aren’t enough picks available.

I call it cleaning the wineglass after a hard days usage at the wine bar in a hectic busy day when a few were broken. Then polishing it and getting it ready for the next day . We are all gutted after yesterday’s performance. But for all the obvious reasons / no continuity and inexperience coupled with a shocking day out we have to be patient . Bolts doing ok.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

All I can hang my hat on is that on April 7 2013 Melbourne got beaten by Essendon by 148pts !!

... and yet look at them yesterday.

We just have to hang in there.
I know it wasn’t your intention but that can be taken to mean we are ~5 years behind demons.......need to also consider if Essendon were under the influence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it wasn’t your intention but that can be taken to mean we are ~5 years behind demons.......need to also consider if Essendon were under the influence

Putting a positive spin we could say the Demons at their best are potential challengers for the flag this year (ok - I'm stretching :) ) - which means could be potential flag challengers by 2023.

The Demons should have made the finals last year so you could say we are in finals by 2022.

Yeh - Ok - doesn't sound too positive ...

The saying goes; it’s never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems. We have 2 really tough weeks ahead! We have no choice but to be stoic and loyal to our club. I’ve felt horribly despondent about our year but we really need to hang in there. Without being unduly apocalyptic this is a serious inflection point for our club. Bolton’s coaching and leadership are under the microscope more than ever.
Stay loyal bluevaggers!

Thank you...I really enjoyed reading your post.
I think it is really unfair that you only get likes for that...great effort.

wow we must have been watching a different game, I can't say I've had that reaction from fellow Carlton supporters in the real world.
I guess that's what they call polishing a turd.
Given your well entrenched CFC connections and amazing after the fact recruiting it’s amazing you don’t command a key role within the club. In fact, given how amateurish CFC has been this century I’m shocked you haven’t been sounded out.

In a reversal of a well known English football chant “you only post when we lose” ... and of course you’ve had a decent run at it thus far ... but the wheels WILL turn and what are you gonna do then?

It’s like having a girlfriend that you criticise a lot yet you still stay with her. Who is the fool ? The colours of the Carlton Football Club and my loyalty is far above that of even marriage. It’s culture , tradition and the jumper alone is love for ever .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

All the way from Norway :blueheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back