Toast Brett Deledio

Remove this Banner Ad

It's harsh but do not miss him one bit. Just became such a better footy club without him it's hard to think back on the years he played. He was never a big game player and to be honest I think despite his career being excellent he never reached his full potential consistently. Kids like Ross and Stack - the humble, hardworking kids is the new norm at Richmond. Deledio was all me, me me.

Saw him at the supermarket buying something like 15 Milky way choccies.

Bit of a wobbly unit.
I once saw him at a local swimming pool. He was stomping around in the toddlers pool like a lunatic. When a concerned mother approached him and asked him to knock it off he picked up the nearest sobbing infant and said "is this thing yours?" and tossed it gridiron style over an adjacent chain-link perimeter fence. After that I got a bucket of hot chips but the lady at the kiosk didn't put any chicken salt on it. EVEN THOUGH I EXPLICITLY TOLD HER TO PUT IT ON.

Some of you guys have short memories. Was the most skilled player at Richmond for a decade. There were times when Richmond’s chances of winning on the day were dependent on Deledio playing. Gave us 200 plus games in some very hard times, always drew a quality opposition player and thus allowed Cotchin, Martin to flourish as they’d get a lesser player on them. 2016 was a devastating year where the club went backwards, no one could see that 2017 flag coming and he felt he was running out of time. As to him being stand-offish, met him only a couple of times and he was fine. My memories are of a beautifully balanced player who was great on both sides of the body, could take a great mark and was a great set shot.

It's harsh but do not miss him one bit. Just became such a better footy club without him it's hard to think back on the years he played. He was never a big game player and to be honest I think despite his career being excellent he never reached his full potential consistently. Kids like Ross and Stack - the humble, hardworking kids is the new norm at Richmond. Deledio was all me, me me.

This. Deledio has had a good career. But he should have had a GREAT one with all his skills and physical attributes. Very rare does a player have the package of speed, class, skill, overhead marking, aggression etc that Lids did. I feel he never truly lived up to what he could have been. Should have been a top 5 player in the league, but never seemed interested in pushing himself outside of his comfort zone and seemed happy to jusr go with the flow. He seemed like the posterboy for the phrase 'Close enough is good enough.'

In that way, he reminds me a LOT of Jared Brennan. Supremely talented just didn't have the drive, desire or whatever to really stamp his authority on the league.

This. Deledio has had a good career. But he should have had a GREAT one with all his skills and physical attributes. Very rare does a player have the package of speed, class, skill, overhead marking, aggression etc that Lids did. I feel he never truly lived up to what he could have been. Should have been a top 5 player in the league, but never seemed interested in pushing himself outside of his comfort zone and seemed happy to jusr go with the flow. He seemed like the posterboy for the phrase 'Close enough is good enough.'

In that way, he reminds me a LOT of Jared Brennan. Supremely talented just didn't have the drive, desire or whatever to really stamp his authority on the league.

I think what he was missing is a thing called heart. Speedy and skilled get you so far, but how often did he really put himself on the line. I have a distinct memory of him running back with the flight of the ball into the opposition goal square. A dive and he would have got a hand on it. But not Brett. Basically watched it go over his head for a goal, just past his outstretched fingertips.

I once saw him at a local swimming pool. He was stomping around in the toddlers pool like a lunatic. When a concerned mother approached him and asked him to knock it off he picked up the nearest sobbing infant and said "is this thing yours?" and tossed it gridiron style over an adjacent chain-link perimeter fence. After that I got a bucket of hot chips but the lady at the kiosk didn't put any chicken salt on it. EVEN THOUGH I EXPLICITLY TOLD HER TO PUT IT ON.
I don’t know who you are, but I’d like to buy u a beer and listen to countless stories of this magnitude, this was brilliant

Not to the end though mate and he was well paid too.
WTF, Top $$$ for our top player, Champion player in lean times, signed on a long term deal when he was our best player when he could've got heaps more elsewhere. quirky character with a bit of arrogance who deserves nothing but admiration and respect.

was bringing the club down for years

dimmer convinced him that leaving was the best option coz he secretly hated him too

Interesting all the calls on how he didn’t achieve what he could have and didn’t get the most out of his career at the Tigers.
Do you think it was him, or perhaps he spent a great chunk of his career at a substandard club. Let’s not forget we were pretty s**t for most of his early career and expecting him to carry a lot of the midfield duties.
He didn’t always cope well with a tag, funny thing is Dusty doesn’t cope well either, and he’s been playing for us as a top side.

Some of you guys have short memories. Was the most skilled player at Richmond for a decade. There were times when Richmond’s chances of winning on the day were dependent on Deledio playing. Gave us 200 plus games in some very hard times, always drew a quality opposition player and thus allowed Cotchin, Martin to flourish as they’d get a lesser player on them. 2016 was a devastating year where the club went backwards, no one could see that 2017 flag coming and he felt he was running out of time. As to him being stand-offish, met him only a couple of times and he was fine. My memories are of a beautifully balanced player who was great on both sides of the body, could take a great mark and was a great set shot.
Completely agree, his effort and service to our club through a long period of hard times seems to go unnoticed with a lot of people here. That being said I haven't had a chance to miss him too much because we've turned ourself into an elite premiership team since his departure. Sometimes I really do wish he could have been part of our success because of how much he gave to the club but I guess if he hadn't left we probably wouldn't have won the flag.

A bit rough on lids in this thread, people crediting his departure as the reason behind our success almost, really harsh and wouldn't be true at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all of this except I wouldn't go as far as to compare him to Jared Brennan. Brennan was a dead set shittruck.

The fact is that deledio chose to leave because he wanted to win a flag. He ended up putting Richmond in a better position and that will be a tough pill for him to swallow, especially if he doesn't win a flag with the Giants.

Jack Riewoldt on the other hand chose to stay accepting that he may never win a flag.

Brett is a legend through our dark times, one of the shining lights and it's a huge shame and injustice he didn't get to win the flag with us.

Can we wheel him out for one last season? Some weekend at Bernie style gig?

The only thing that really occurs to be me now when I think about Deledio is how some people use to argue that he was untradeable. That no Deledio equalled no Richmond. Well, he left Richmond and we won a premiership. Not saying that was the reason, but I do think it underlined the fragility of that argument. No player for the right price is untradeable.

The only thing that really occurs to be me now when I think about Deledio is how some people use to argue that he was untradeable. That no Deledio equalled no Richmond. Well, he left Richmond and we won a premiership. Not saying that was the reason, but I do think it underlined the fragility of that argument. No player for the right price is untradeable.
You could trade Rance for the entire Norf list and we’d still lose on the deal.

I think what he was missing is a thing called heart. Speedy and skilled get you so far, but how often did he really put himself on the line. I have a distinct memory of him running back with the flight of the ball into the opposition goal square. A dive and he would have got a hand on it. But not Brett. Basically watched it go over his head for a goal, just past his outstretched fingertips.

Won the ANZ Army Award for courage when they had that going for a bit. Ran back with the flight of the ball when it was his turn to do so. Also remember him being very durable and no doubt having to play with knocks and niggles. Saw him hyperextend his elbow once and come back on to finish the game.

There was a period there where we wouldn’t have traded him. I don’t think that’s so hard an argument to make. We got maximum value for him when the time was right to do so. I don’t think you could say because the club traded him in 2016 that it was wrong to not consider trading him in 2008, 2009, 2012 and to a lesser extent 2015.

Won the ANZ Army Award for courage when they had that going for a bit. Ran back with the flight of the ball when it was his turn to do so. Also remember him being very durable and no doubt having to play with knocks and niggles. Saw him hyperextend his elbow once and come back on to finish the game.

There was a period there where we wouldn’t have traded him. I don’t think that’s so hard an argument to make. We got maximum value for him when the time was right to do so. I don’t think you could say because the club traded him in 2016 that it was wrong to not consider trading him in 2008, 2009, 2012 and to a lesser extent 2015.

You'lll never know. Depending on what we could have got it might have been the best thing for the club. Although I would say the one thing that would have made me hesitant is the possibility that with our recruiting during that period we might have picked up another Conca, Corey Ellis or Lennon. That's why I am eternally grateful that we never traded Matthew Richardson, chances are we would have wasted the compensation anyhow. Still that's a bit different than saying that a player is untradeable full stop which is what I kept on hearing about Deledio. If a club loses it's mind and offers ridiculous overs going after one of your players you'd have to at least listen.

Go home Wookie, you're drunk

Can't knock his contribution on-field as some here have done - mainly because I wasn't watching as closely as I have been able in more recent times, but there were plenty willing to say that he was responsible for some ordinary chemistry (not the Essendon type) in 2016. No idea if true, but something changed for the better

I remember reading a really good article years ago. They did very comprehensive stories on first year players and The challenges of becoming an afl footballer.

One of the guys the reported on was Vlassy.

In the article he mentioned that he was not getting the money that the senior guys were getting. Which is natural. He mentioned in passing that ( non maliciously) that Lids made him pay for coffee when out and about when he did not have a lot to spare at that point.

I know it’s a small thing but I always got the feeling that Lids was into football for lids. Nothing wrong with that. But I just can’t imagine dusty or cotch or Rance or jack or grimes or whoever not shouting the new blokes in that situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back