Preview Brisbane Lions vs Sydney Swans, Friday June 16, 7:50pm, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1686528714645.png

Form line:
Both clubs at interesting cross roads coming off a loss in the last round. Brisbane lost away in Adelaide as well as against Hawks at MCG post-bye. Sydney has a meddling form line going much further back. Swans haven't scored more than 100 in the last 5 games (2-3 win loss ratio) and they were a bit lucky to scrape past North Melbourne due to the number of interchanges fiasco. In the same way, Lions haven't looked convincing both against Adelaide and Hawks scoring only 73 and 78.

1686529137024.png

Head to Head:
A quick glance through the last 10 games show Swans are comfortable playing us both at Gabba and SCG. I'll give ourselves a mulligan for R1 2021 as we are usually in zombie mode for first game of the season. Starting from 2019 when we commenced our climb up the ladder, we have a 3-1 record against them.

1686529583653.png

Opposition Analysis:
Below is the Sydney line up that played against St.Kilda on thursday. They are still a bit light-on for Key Position but Robbie Fox provides a reasonable contest against big forwards and plays in a style which is very similar to Dan Rampe. Melican has been in the bench but he'll get swapped for Tom McCartin whenever he's ready to go.

The firestarters are usually Blakey and Florent from defense. We really need a plan to shutdown Blakey or else he'll setup play and burn us on rebound. Same with Florent, I have seen Florent's disposal being iffy at times so there are chances of intercepts/turnovers but Blakey is their playmaker. Lloyd used to do this in the past but in terms of overlap run and covering ground, Blakey will be their go-to man.

I expect Ryan Clarke to line up on Neale and tag him through the game. The onus will be on rest of our midfield to step up and balance out their output. Clarke is a decent tagger and I expect Neale to have his hands full. In the midfield Luke Parker should return from suspension and take over from Angus Sheldrick. They have Warner and Gulden who cut us up in Round 1 2021 so midfield battle and spread from contest will be an interesting side story.

1686529890851.png

Our Team:
1686530472950.png
Plenty has been said in the review and coaching threads so I'll leave this with a prayer for changes in team, bit more speed through the backline and wings. We need some help covering the spread from contest and it needs to be practiced across every game. We also need to put our foot down and score big rather than take it easy once we get to a 3 goal margin, it is happening again and again where opposition is left with enough belief to mount a fightback.

Verdict:
While our away form isn't great, we usually go well at Gabba and I'm expecting a good win this week. Since the Collingwood game in Round 4 where Charlie kicked 6, he hasn't kicked more than 2 goals at Gabba games. Expecting a big one from him this friday. Lions by 5+ goals.

437ff206-0aa4-4bb4-9b99-ff6ffe1c48f5_text.gif

Expected both Adelaide and Hawks to be danger games, but pretty confident of a convincing win for this one. Seems to be the pattern when we play at home after a poor interstate loss.

Not as pessimistic as some on here, but still won't prove much if they do down a struggling Swans at home.

Expected both Adelaide and Hawks to be danger games, but pretty confident of a convincing win for this one. Seems to be the pattern when we play at home after a poor interstate loss.

Not as pessimistic as some on here, but still won't prove much if they do down a struggling Swans at home.
Hope so!

I noticed late in the last quarter(watching on TV) that Gardiner came down hard in a marking contest and stayed on all fours clutching his shoulder. Any chance he injured it and is out this week? Bring back Lester

What I want to see:

Out: McCluggage (concussion), Rich (leg), Gunston, Gardiner, Prior
In: Zorko, Ah Chee, Sharp, Lester, Fort

Lester Payne Starcevich

Wilmot Andrews McKenna

Sharp Robertson Ah Chee

Rayner Daniher Zorko

Cameron Hipwood Bailey

McInerney Neale Dunkley

Ashcroft Coleman McCarthy Fort

Berry

What I fear we'll see:
Out: McCluggage (concussion), Rich (leg)
In: Zorko

What I want to see:

Lester Payne Starcevich

Wilmot Andrews McKenna

Sharp Robertson Ah Chee

Rayner Daniher Zorko

Cameron Hipwood Bailey

McInerney Neale Dunkley

Berry

What I fear we'll see:
That's just about our best team without McCluggage. I'm not wrapped in Sharp at this point and would probably go Berry but it would actually be great for Bez if he had a couple of weeks in the reserves to reassess things. Sometimes that's what it takes.

I know from talking to people from other clubs they're eyeing off our reserves side in the hope of finding another Crisp. What I don't want to see is us hanging on to old guys when we have a few who are untested with a run of games at Senior level.

What I want to see:

Lester Payne Starcevich

Wilmot Andrews McKenna

Sharp Robertson Ah Chee

Rayner Daniher Zorko

Cameron Hipwood Bailey

McInerney Neale Dunkley

Berry

What I fear we'll see:
Surly Rich is not that bad that we don't even need to replace him :)

The pigs fly team that I think would actually win games of football:

Out: Prior, Gunston, Rich, Gardiner, McLuggage (concussion)
In: Lohmann, Zorko, Ah Chee, Lester

McKenna Payne Starc
Coleman Andrew Wilmot
Berry Dev Ah Chee
Bailey Hippy Lohmann
Charlie Joe Rayner

Oscar Neale Dunkley

Lester McCarthy Ashcroft Zorko

What id trial if I was coach:
  • third defender: move Starc up to third tall and play Answerth as the dog small defender. Allows us to cut Lester and gardeners position. Starc can play taller and answerth is a good defender.
  • third tall: Rayner permanent third tall

This is a fast, skilful team who can defend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm beginning to wonder if we think about putting Rayner down back again? I'm aboard the Lester train but I also think Rayner could play that third tall role. He did take a great mark and kick a goal over the weekend but I still feel that we aren't getting a lot out of him in the forward line.

Rayner has blamed the forwards lack of defensive workrate for us losing to the Hawks

Wonder if this will be remedied by not selecting Gunston
Soooo taking ownership of what happened or laying blame? It wasn’t just one thing though. The Hawks were able to transition the ball from one side of the oval to the other with ease. Then they were able to just waltz down the wing via handballing. That’s just overall work rate for the entire team.

Soooo taking ownership of what happened or laying blame? It wasn’t just one thing though. The Hawks were able to transition the ball from one side of the oval to the other with ease. Then they were able to just waltz down the wing via handballing. That’s just overall work rate for the entire team.

I would assume he included himself in it since I doubt he’s lacks the self awareness to not understand he’s a forward. As you and others mentioned it was also very obviously a problem with the midfield as well but I’m assuming he didn’t mention them since it wasn’t the main group he was a part of. To be fair on Rayner I saw him run pretty hard on the weekend and his pressure has been good this year.

We got cooked on the inside fifties on the weekend and it really felt like it was the midfield who failed to run on the switches whenever it happened. Hawthorn were super quick on the rebound and it never felt like the midfield made any attempt to slow them down when it made it to the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back