Brownlow Brownlow 2021 Count

Remove this Banner Ad

He was better than Oliver.
Sure yep just couldn't ascertain how We win by 4 Goals and the players in a Losing side gets best on, when youu have a lithany of players to pick from in the winning side.

Meanwhile Garry Ablety can poll BOG at Gc getting smashed by 10 Goals l

Umpires blinkers with mids gets worse every year tbh. Take Parish from Essendon for example. Improved a ton this year no doubt but wouldn’t have him as a top 20 player in the competition.

May 1 vote Lever none in round 1. FMD. Might do a breakdown of our games tomorrow and see how much I can bag the voting.

Umpires blinkers with mids gets worse every year tbh. Take Parish from Essendon for example. Improved a ton this year no doubt but wouldn’t have him as a top 20 player in the competition.

May 1 vote Lever none in round 1. FMD. Might do a breakdown of our games tomorrow and see how much I can bag the voting.

Disposals that have no value are at an all time high but no one seems to mention it.

If Oliver has 25 disposals in a game he's a good chance of 3 votes even though that's a stock standard midfielders games.

If Bayley Fritsch kicks 3 he won't be in the discussion for even 1 vote even though it's actually an above average effort for a forward.

Just saw a fox footy article on the Brownlow and apparently Jordan Roughead has broken the record for most games without a Brownlow vote an absolute useless stat and click bait. However it doesn't surprise me considering he is a defender.

Just saw a fox footy article on the Brownlow and apparently Jordan Roughead has broken the record for most games without a Brownlow vote an absolute useless stat and click bait. However it doesn't surprise me considering he is a defender.
Worst part is the guy is a perfectly good AFL defender

It’s such a curious award when you think about it, even more curious that it’s pitched as the most prestigious.

It’s voted on by the umpires. Generally speaking most punters don’t rate their judgement...

Even if their jugement was rated they have to judge things from ground level right after the game, and to have to form their opinion while doing an incredibly tough job.

It’s a volume rather than impact award. Not the worst thing, most ‘MVP’ awards the world over are (and volume is easier to quantify than impact), but this one feels the most limited in who its for (i.e. high possession mid in a top 4 team).

I know a lot of people are against the ‘Americanisation’ of our sports, but I’d love a Defensive Player of the Year style award judged maybe by a panel of former defenders (so its not just half back flankers winning all the time).

Ollie Wines most votes ever! Bwahahahahaha. Is he even in the Top 15 best players? There's no way he had a season worthy of 36 votes. It's such an overrated award now. Coaches votes much more respected i think among footy followers and purists of the game. I'll take Lever's season over Wines any day. Anyway, kind of glad we don't have a distraction leading into the week.

Interesting to see the two teams going into the GF, the side with more Brownlow votes has lost the last 8 GF's. 11 of the last 13. Interesting stat that suggests the favourites struggle in the GF in recent times..

It’s such a curious award when you think about it, even more curious that it’s pitched as the most prestigious.

It’s voted on by the umpires. Generally speaking most punters don’t rate their judgement...

Even if their jugement was rated they have to judge things from ground level right after the game, and to have to form their opinion while doing an incredibly tough job.

It’s a volume rather than impact award. Not the worst thing, most ‘MVP’ awards the world over are (and volume is easier to quantify than impact), but this one feels the most limited in who its for (i.e. high possession mid in a top 4 team).

I know a lot of people are against the ‘Americanisation’ of our sports, but I’d love a Defensive Player of the Year style award judged maybe by a panel of former defenders (so its not just half back flankers winning all the time).
Umpires too busy thinking things like did I get that right, maybe I should have been there to get a better view ect. They ain't thinking gee wines has been great he's laid 7 tackles and has 10 contested possession so far. The coaches are the ones that will see what players are making an impact and they look at a broader picture not just useless possession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Wines most votes ever! Bwahahahahaha. Is he even in the Top 15 best players? There's no way he had a season worthy of 36 votes.

I’m sure Ollie is a really good player. Great even. But I’ve heard enough sentiment that he’s not in the top 5 players in the game to conclude the brownlow isn’t worth paying attention to.

Umpires? Lmao.

It’s certainly a slightly overrated award but let’s not kid ourselves we would’ve been over the moon had Clarry won it. Congratulations to the freakish mop-haired ranga for coming in third and polling a staggering 31 votes. Sensational effort and brilliant season (so far). Let’s hope he blitzes the Granny and takes home a Normy as consolation.

To me he’s the second best player in the comp after Bont.

D3FB97AE-2DFB-4A42-A56E-3A761A850A43.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sure Ollie is a really good player. Great even. But I’ve heard enough sentiment that he’s not in the top 5 players in the game to conclude the brownlow isn’t worth paying attention to.

Umpires? Lmao.
He’s terrific at what he does, albeit there are a handful of better clearance players who can also do other things, but is incredibly limited. Another Tom Mitchell really, who won it in 18.

We all know who is the best player in 2021

Umpires are biased and pre pick the winner months beforehand

Sam Draper got 3 votes Round 1, had 10 touches and 24 hitouts, was ranked 17th on field

Shows how razor thin Port’s midfield is that Wines (although a very very good player) wins it, no wonder they looked so far off the better teams in the comp this season.

Saying Wines isn't one of the top X players in the comp is showing a lack of understanding of how the Brownlow works. You don't need to be one of the very best players in the comp, you've just got to be better than 41 other players on a given day.
Port won the equal-most games (17) this year and Wines was visibly impressive in a lot of those wins. It's not hard to see why he polled well.

Saying Wines isn't one of the top X players in the comp is showing a lack of understanding of how the Brownlow works. You don't need to be one of the very best players in the comp, you've just got to be better than 41 other players on a given day.
Port won the equal-most games (17) this year and Wines was visibly impressive in a lot of those wins. It's not hard to see why he polled well.

Thanks mate. Pretty sure I already said it’s a dumb award.

Sure yep just couldn't ascertain how We win by 4 Goals and the players in a Losing side gets best on, when youu have a lithany of players to pick from in the winning side.

Meanwhile Garry Ablety can poll BOG at Gc getting smashed by 10 Goals l

Did you watch games? Peak GAJ was regularly best on ground in 100 point losses. He was playing 1 vs 22

I'm still not sure how you rate a player on being the fairest. Best fair enough, but the fairest bit sounds like some sort of encouragement or spirit award, to me that could be it's own seperate award.

I'm still not sure how you rate a player on being the fairest. Best fair enough, but the fairest bit sounds like some sort of encouragement or spirit award, to me that could be it's own seperate award.

'Fairest' regards the ineligibility of players who have been suspended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back