Universal Love Buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logically, he will get 4th. Also on logic, if he catches Dunstall he should be get able Plugger too ! :)
I don't want him to get Plugger though. I don't want anyone to catch Plugger. That guy is just a goal-kicking God and always deserves to have that title.

Posted this in the general thread, but my estimation is Buddy will finish around the 1000-1050 mark if he stays fit and finishes out his contract. If not, around the 900-950 mark. In all seriousness, am I alone in my belief that he will be greater than Wayne Carey? I know in his hey-day he was a big deal given how he often won games off his own boot, went further up the ground, played high-disposal games and kicked superb goals, but doesn't Buddy do all of those things? And now given that he'll end up way past Carey in career goals, surely the conversation has to be had?

I saw Carey. He is one of the greats for a reason.

Carey's contested marking is the point of difference. But you're right in that people noticed this more and more over his career because he was single handedly winning games and was the focal point of the team of late 90's. The fact that Pagan essentially emptied his forwardline to create one-on-ones helped his profile enormously.

Purists will always give it to Carey because he was the greatest traditional CHF of all time.

All that said, Buddy's ability to win games off his own boot and his ferocious attack on the ball all over the ground is quite similar.

But Buddy is unique. He's a goal kicking machine like Dunstall, who runs up the field like Richardson, but who can also play off the centre square and wing and garner 27 possessions a game like Goodes. Oh and he's fast. Far faster than most players. Certainly faster than Carey was.

Where he makes up for that missing factor of Contested Marking, he makes up for by the oft overlooked stat of tackling.

Buddy lays tackles like midfielder.

I've never seen a blended, elite FF capable of kicking 100 in a season who could do all of that - Carey included.

I can easily see Carey vs Buddy being a direct comparison in time.

If Buddy kicks anywhere near a thousand goals I'll hand him the title. Carey was amazing. But...

Looks like Horse has come up with a plan regarding Buddy. Let him roam away from inside 50 and back up mids on the wings, and generally confuse the opposition as to what his role is.Sort of like the role Goodsey had, search and destroy,find problem areas on the ground and sort it out. Anyone agree?

Don't think it's really a new role either. He's been roaming up the ground for years, even at Hawthorn. I thought it was well known that Buddy plays better as a HF pushing up into the midfield than stationed at FF. He might have been pushing up the ground more over the last few weeks but I don't think it's a new role for Buddy.

Hopefully we see more of it again with Tippett up front and Buddy kicking them from the 50m mark. Should make the forward line even more unpredictable and hard to deal with for North's defenders.

Don't think it's really a new role either. He's been roaming up the ground for years, even at Hawthorn. I thought it was well known that Buddy plays better as a HF pushing up into the midfield than stationed at FF. He might have been pushing up the ground more over the last few weeks but I don't think it's a new role for Buddy.

Hopefully we see more of it again with Tippett up front and Buddy kicking them from the 50m mark. Should make the forward line even more unpredictable and hard to deal with for North's defenders.
I think the bigger difference is how his team mates have used him. He's been more on the outside when upfield and has been a handball target. That way he can use his speed and kicking more to advantage, hence has looked better.
It will be interesting to see if he can connect Tippo and X on the lead. I reckon Heeney and Paps will feed more off Tippo than they do off Buddy.

It's all about making us less predictable. Look for horse to change things up at stages during the finals.

We'll go from tippo in the ruck and buddy roaming then switch and have them both head down as targets while the smalls move out towards the arcs. Will confuse the hell out of the opposition.

Rotating between 1 and 2 key targets will be a nice ace to have up our sleeve.

X and Heeney to play cameo roles.

Last edited:
With Tippett back and most likely plonked in the goal square and Naismith playing majority ruck (assumption) then this will become more prominent over the next 2 months. Buddy will do as he pleases.

IMHO it's his best role and really makes it hard for the opposition to match up on him as the defender can't push him onto his right side all the time.

However, it is critically important that we have a third tall marking option as a lead-up forward to allow this strategy to work. The midfield need someone leading at them when they have the ball which allows them to lower the eyes and go short to a target.

We have been much better structurally with X Richards in the side playing the third tall lead up man (it shows how important Sam Reid is to the structure once fit).

The exciting part is that we are about to add the third part of the equation. The stay at home monster forward for the bail out kick, which is what Tippet will bring.

The cream on top is the mid sized pressure players in Heeny and Rohan who can both mark above their heads.

I've merged this with a Buddy thread from earlier this season as I feel it fits better here.

As others have pointed out, it isn't a new role, he is just doing what he did at Hawthorn at times. However I second what DST said above about needing to have another marking target in the forward line.

It's all about making us less predictable. Look for horse to change things up at stages during the finals.

We'll go from tippo in the ruck and buddy roaming then switch and have them both head down as targets while the smalls move out towards the arcs. Will confuse the hell out of the opposition.

Rotating between 1 and 2 key targets will be a nice ace to have up our sleeve.

X and Heeney to play cameo roles.
Now that we have some pace in the forward line with XR and Rohan, he can lead up to the wing and kick to those guys in open space. He is such a good kick that it is usually to their advantage. It will be interesting to see how it all functions with Tippett back. They have certainly made the forward line a lot more unpredictable this season and particularly the past month or so since XR came in.

Dont see him live as much as most here, but in the flesh what infuriates me is how is just held and bashed into all game

He has the paitence of a saint considering

But too many defenders are credited for their work on him when they just hold and scrag

This week is the main perpetrator Alex Rance

Umpires please watch this flog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont see him live as much as most here, but in the flesh what infuriates me is how is just held and bashed into all game

But too many defenders are credited for their work on him when they just hold and scrag

You're pissing in the wind

You could be talking about BBBBH there too. Bazza got even worse & it ended up in Hall mentally snapping & Stakers jaw physically snapping.

Watch Tippo go for a mark. Scragged to all buggery. Nothing.

If you are a beast of a man who refuses to flop for frees and instead fight through the contact for the ball then you'll get nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back