Bushfires.

Remove this Banner Ad

We should have a fleet of water bombers in each state ready.

Then a fleet a big sponges when it floods next June

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we need a national fleet, and a some sort of national professional fire fighting force. Able to be deployed around the country as and when required. I think if every state decided to buy and maintain their own fleet there would be a lot of duplication of resources. Not an adjunct of the defence forces either but a stand alone force. Highly trained personnel, who accept deployment anywhere around the country for short spells.

They could also do floods and tropical cyclones and other natural disasters.

They would be employed full time, especially over the summer months. Over winter we could find some other useful work for them to do, maybe they could do hazard reduction burns or stuff like that.

I think the days of relying on local volunteers, and leasing aircraft on an ad hoc basis has had its day.

I think we need a national fleet, and a some sort of national professional fire fighting force. Able to be deployed around the country as and when required. I think if every state decided to buy and maintain their own fleet there would be a lot of duplication of resources. Not an adjunct of the defence forces either but a stand alone force. Highly trained personnel, who accept deployment anywhere around the country for short spells.

They would be employed full time, especially over the summer months. Over winter we could find some other useful work for them to do, maybe they could do hazard reduction burns or stuff like that.

I think the days of relying on local volunteers, and leasing aircraft on an ad hoc basis has had its day.

Are you crazy that all makes way to much sense.

I hardly meant throwing money like that now obviously that comes later. He went to affected areas yet didn’t bring food or water for the most part or a generator to help

Then at another relief centre his contribution was one bag of food from Woolworths and a slab of up and go wtf Is that
Lol, so he carries generators around.
Get a grip, their are others behind the scenes doing that.
It's just Morrison bashing for the sake of it.

That Liberal stooge in charge of the mouldy greens wants a royal commission. Into bushfire, not the inadequate fed gov response.

This clown....

Royal commissions change nothing but COst millions and millions, only stir people up.

When the greens use this to score political points, you know things are phuqed
What was the inadequate government response?
What didn't they do that should have been done?

So you are able to predict exactly what direction fires are going to take and exactly what they're going to impact? Yeah, there are fires happening, mobilisation takes time.
Exactly? No.

But many, many people said this was going to be a shocking season. They predicted that pretty well.

So if that's the case, we could have been more prepared. I don't think anyone can argue that it has gone as well as it could.

So maybe after the fact, we can revisit both FR and equipment/funding etc. Then next time, when we have a bad season, the level of control is a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly? No.

But many, many people said this was going to be a shocking season. They predicted that pretty well.

So if that's the case, we could have been more prepared. I don't think anyone can argue that it has gone as well as it could.

So maybe after the fact, we can revisit both FR and equipment/funding etc. Then next time, when we have a bad season, the level of control is a lot better.

If I had a dollar for every time many, many people say it's going to be a shocking season, I'd almost be as rich if I had a dollar for every time Geelong has been predicted to miss the finals for being too old and too slow. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

How about I predict now that next season is going to be a shocking season? I'm a 50 / 50 chance, lets start moving assets around just in case I'm right.

In what way would we be more prepared?

Admiral Byng has made the pretty good suggestion of a national air firefighting fleet and a national body of trained firefighters, the problem then is where do you base them all?

Do you split them up between each state or do you say have a base in WA, another in SA to cover that state and the western side of Victoria to say, Portland or Warrnambool, then another in Gippsland and the NE of the state, a couple more in NSW and some more in QLD, one in Tassie (or does a Victorian one look after them) Do places like Broken Hill which is in NSW but pretty much gets looked after by Adelaide and Mildura get serviced by Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney?

Do we have one in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane to cover the whole country or do we just have one? If we have one in each of the 5 largest mainland cities, are they restricted to their own state? What if you deploy them all to fight the fires in QLD and NSW last November then all of a sudden you've got the south coast of NSW, North East and South East of Victoria, Kangaroo Island the Eyre Peninsular and then Balladonia, Norseman and Esperance all burning severely and with deaths and major infrastructure disruption, who gets priority? NSW, Vic and QLD because they're the big population states and the east coast is more important? Once you commit to one place it's a big move to get them redeployed if they're able to be.

I'd be reasonably happy for there to be a national effort for air water bombing assets but when it comes to boots on the ground, I think that would still better left to individual states or else it would just become too messy and parochial. They can still be supplemented by the ADF who can still be used in mass civilian movements as they are now, supply & logistics, clean up and rebuilding (fencing etc).

76ef1f00f06198298b155c61725e6a90.jpg

Just saw this on FB. Absolute little champs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe the federal and state governments can actually buy a fleet of choppers to fight the fires instead of just renting them add to the fleet more is needed.

If we get a fleet of helicopters, how do we move them from Central QLD to Esperance in a hurry if needed. Are they flown across or are they disassembled and flown across in cargo planes or trucked across? If they're flown across in larger aircraft, where is the nearest airstrip to the fires that could handle the cargo plane?

I guess the point I'm trying to make with these posts is that everyone is critical of the Federal and State Governments for seemingly dragging their feet but the fact is everything doesn't happen instantaneously because people would like it to, it takes planning. Now, no doubt there are all sorts of plans drawn up for different scenarios but the problem with that is that nature doesn't read from the same play book.

If I had a dollar for every time many, many people say it's going to be a shocking season, I'd almost be as rich if I had a dollar for every time Geelong has been predicted to miss the finals for being too old and too slow. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

How about I predict now that next season is going to be a shocking season? I'm a 50 / 50 chance, lets start moving assets around just in case I'm right.

I think you'd be pretty safe in saying next year won't be as bad. There will be a lot less fuel. You're not 50/50, not even close.

@Admiral Byng has made the pretty good suggestion of a national air firefighting fleet and a national body of trained firefighters, the problem then is where do you base them all?

Do you split them up between each state or do you say have a base in WA, another in SA to cover that state and the western side of Victoria to say, Portland or Warrnambool, then another in Gippsland and the NE of the state, a couple more in NSW and some more in QLD, one in Tassie (or does a Victorian one look after them) Do places like Broken Hill which is in NSW but pretty much gets looked after by Adelaide and Mildura get serviced by Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney?

Do we have one in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane to cover the whole country or do we just have one? If we have one in each of the 5 largest mainland cities, are they restricted to their own state? What if you deploy them all to fight the fires in QLD and NSW last November then all of a sudden you've got the south coast of NSW, North East and South East of Victoria, Kangaroo Island the Eyre Peninsular and then Balladonia, Norseman and Esperance all burning severely and with deaths and major infrastructure disruption, who gets priority? NSW, Vic and QLD because they're the big population states and the east coast is more important? Once you commit to one place it's a big move to get them redeployed if they're able to be.

I'd be reasonably happy for there to be a national effort for air water bombing assets but when it comes to boots on the ground, I think that would still better left to individual states or else it would just become too messy and parochial. They can still be supplemented by the ADF who can still be used in mass civilian movements as they are now, supply & logistics, clean up and rebuilding (fencing etc).
I've advocated similar on the Tiges board.

Needs to be moved to a national approach imo, no question.

Yes, logistics is the main issue. I certainly think that being the case, they would not be restricted to their own state, but be a flexible force able to be moved around as required.

Bases set up geographically, some permanently staffed, some able to be activated (similar to ADF set up).

Would take some planning but long term I think worth it. Accept that it will cost money.

(just by the by, interested to know of the "hire" cost of the equipment we bring in that's not permanent.)

In what way would we be more prepared?

Admiral Byng has made the pretty good suggestion of a national air firefighting fleet and a national body of trained firefighters, the problem then is where do you base them all?

Cool story bro...

Maybe the federal and state governments can actually buy a fleet of choppers to fight the fires instead of just renting them add to the fleet more is needed.

Those patrol boats we gave to srl Lankan terrorists could of been handy last week.

Those hercules aircraft we sold cheap to Indonesia, so they could cloud seed Monsoons. Make the rain fall out to sea. We could use them... Drop water, Not chemicals.

That should trigger a few trolls.

We had our chance for something like that last May, but tax breaks for the rich and making sure no mines were harmed won the day.

Those patrol boats we gave to srl Lankan terrorists could of been handy last week.

Those hercules aircraft we sold cheap to Indonesia, so they could cloud seed Monsoons. Make the rain fall out to sea. We could use them... Drop water, Not chemicals.

That should trigger a few trolls.

Why would the small, retired Customs, Bay Class, patrol boats be handy, who would crew them and what would they do? The Bay Class, Customs, patrol boats were retired around 2014 or 2015. You forgot the two that also went to the Malays.

What would we do with the 4 Hercs that we gave to the Indons, who would crew them?

You're talking out of your arse, as per usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back