Can anything be done about Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

He simply needs to have five minutes alone with Cyril to let him know how he feels. Cyril will let him down gently.

Oh he's going to caress it down someone's throat

Couldn't quite.........

Hamish McLachlin or however it's spelt should be leading hosting the ch 7 commentary team. Dennis & Bruce were finished years ago. BT was good on foxtel, s**t house on ch 7. Darcy and Leigh Matthews, pfft please, all they do is state the obvious. Tom Harley is good.

The worst part is that he isn't even close to being the worst. Sure, he gets a bit homoerotic, but Darcy, BT and Rompingwins just spew absolute drivel that makes me question whether they have a single brain cell between them. I wish they would just call the damn game, rather than go off on their tangents.

Hamish is the worst by far. You can tell when he is trying really hard to put a clever wordplay together about a passage of play word-by-word and it just ends up really lame like "JUMPING. JACK. HAS BEEN JUMPING. ALL DAY."

What's frustrating about Bruce and his esteemed colleagues is that they COULD be really good, but whatever the reason (homoerotic babble, overly blokesy personalities, inane gimmicky nicknames, screaming into the mic, blatant use of basketball vernacular etc) they just aren't.

But obviously they are being told to commentate this way. We know that Bruce and Dennis can just call properly without all this BS. That's what is so funny...obviously some marketing guy in a suit in the bowels of Channel 7 is saying that the punters really lap up this stuff. "Yeah BT, the fans just can't get enough Boy Oh Boy Big Boy McEvoy!, and Brucey mate....you didn't throw in enough "loosies" this week, they want more of it!"

Huddo and Dennis, when he isn't trying to be too clever, are the only ones going around currently who don't make me need to watch on mute. The issue is that Huddo and Dennis never do games together and always seemed to be dragged down a level or two by their co-commentator, which makes me wonder why we even need two callers + legion of sycophantic "special comments" mongs.

It's the same problem as Channel 9 and the cricket.....they want to bring a bunch of new blokes in but don't have the guts to sack the old guard. So you have too many people all trying to justify their existence by talking over the top of each other about absolutely nothing.....

If commentators could just hold their breathe like everyone at the footy when the ball leaves the boot for 1 second and then scream and ponitifcate AFTER a goal rather than hooting and hollering like rodeo clowns and drowning out the excitement of the crowd reaction I'd be happy.

This is not a Bruce problem, of course. But a stain on the quality of our commentary teams in general. We have "radio" commentators on the tv. I can see it too you idiots. You don't need to paint a picture. It's just amateurish.

At least he sounds like he enjoys his footy.

This is true. Commentators should be sacked for talking down the game and whinging all night about the quality of the game. Nothing kills the game like jaded old men sooking for 3 hours about the good old days. Bruce at least is passionate about the right things rather than the wrong things

any chance of shpping bruce off to england to call the epl. He should listen to Martin Tyler of how to call the play

Exactly this.

No jokes. No puns. No screaming adulation.

They call the play, give credit where it's due, and complement the game. The end.

At least he sounds like he enjoys his footy.
No denying that.

While I do think his passion is a little over the top. I do like it when a team has kicked a couple of goals quickly to get back in the game, and Bruce lets out his guttural roar, "The Hawks are coming back!"

The bloke loves his Footy.

Darc and Tony Shaw are the worst going around. Both add absolutely nothing.

Darc said something along these lines today: "I reckon Hodge might enjoy running through the midfield and trying to help his team win a big game". Yeah cheers for the insight Darc.
Darcy is an absolute joke and add nothing to the commentary. I really don't understand why he is on so many programs these days. The guy is a flake.

Bruce has now developed into a parody of himself
He is incapable of saying any word without elongating it to the point it becomes comedy
"He goes out wiiiiiiiiiide" or "he kicks it loooooooong"
And why do we need some inane statistic from the 1960's during course of play?

But as others of said, they are all crap and make watching football a chore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce is ok! He can get a little annoying tho!

The worst by far is Dwayne Russell then that Hamish McLauchlin! Dwayne is just annoying and Hamish is sooooo boring!

Sandy Roberts is good! And Peter Landy was great in the 90's.

Someone said drew morphett omg he was soooo annoying and bad but not as bad Dwayne Russell and Hamish McLaughlin

The worst part is that he isn't even close to being the worst. Sure, he gets a bit homoerotic, but Darcy, BT and Rompingwins just spew absolute drivel that makes me question whether they have a single brain cell between them. I wish they would just call the damn game, rather than go off on their tangents.

Yeah was watching the Saints game the other night and the Saturday night crew were just chatting amongst themselves during play continuously about nothing. I am all for a good laugh but pick your moments. Also Dwayne Russell continously gets names wrong. On Saturday he was mixing up Sandilands and Pav and the week before he was calling Macrae Higgins. Can't be that hard!

It's actually so bad now that it's funny. I am genuinely amused by the crap he says. I hate it, but I laugh AT him now. Maybe they should just give him the handball comp like Lou Richards.

Dennis is better but his old man jokes are just getting more and more pathetic.

Huddo is good. I don't mind Sandy either.

He's not the best, but I don't know why all the hate is directed at him when guys like Hamish and Basil get to commentate. As for all his homoerotic references, I prefer to think of them as unintentional and quite funny like Tobias off Arrested Development :p

I like Bruce, he is generally pretty good.

Yeah, he is pretty good at containing his infatuation for Cyrrrrrilllll, and for pre-empting passages of play (he generally gets his calls right one in ten).

Seriously, the game moved past Bruce last TV rights deal. You cannot commentate on what you think might happen in a passage of play, and that is what he constantly does. Nobody disputes his love of the game.

For me Channel 7 erred big time choosing Bruce over the incomparable, Sandy Roberts

The gratuitous abbreviations are really grating now. Very affeminate as well as unnecessary.

"He's good on the sets" (set shots)

"Loosie" (loose man)

"quickie" (quick player)

and so on.

Calling Puopolo "Poppy" was ******* annoying as s**t. Also his love for Rioli is pathetic. Rioli was s**t in the first half (and second half as well really) but he just goes on and on and on about him like he's the second coming of Judd. And he calls him Cyril. Pathetic and unprofessional.

As far as the s**t nuggets on 7 go he isn't as bad as Hame, Basil or BT.

It's relative but when you're comparing a normal every day stinking s**t to liquid s**t sprayed all over the seat and walls it doesn't make the normal every day s**t "good" just not as "bad" by comparison.

I cant stand Bruce. Easily my least fav commentator. Though Ling, Harley and Darcy come close. He basically cheers for the Hawks during their matches.

also which bright spark at 7 thinks hamish is a commentator . He made that game hard to listen too

He and Zempilas or whatever his name is are hardly worth even mentioning, a couple of bigger *******s I've never seen. Stick to polo and netball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back