Central Murray FL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t necessarily agree old mate. Where would they go?

The Heathcote league won’t wanna come any further North…I actually can’t see Cohuna getting in their to be honest
they'd follow, i dont think either team has really embraced the cmfl like kerang, if cohuna get knocked back, then raiders stay, but they'd be asking questions if cohuna get through, as most kids go south for school or work from both towns, then you have cohuna, koondrook, leitchy, locky all from the old northern and echuca league

they'd follow, i dont think either team has really embraced the cmfl like kerang, if cohuna get knocked back, then raiders stay, but they'd be asking questions if cohuna get through, as most kids go south for school or work from both towns, then you have cohuna, koondrook, leitchy, locky all from the old northern and echuca league

I don’t reckon they would but even if they wanted to I don’t the the Heathcote league would take them due to the distance.

Maybe Loddon Valley would be an option but I don’t think they should be looking to leave

I don’t necessarily agree old mate. Where would they go?

The Heathcote league won’t wanna come any further North…I actually can’t see Cohuna getting in their to be honest
I can’t see why the HDFL would want to bring in a new club that is struggling for a reserves team and doesn’t have a colts team.

I'd say they'll use that, they lose too many locals because of the travel, they've wanted to go for a number of years, not sure Heathcote could say yes to marong and maiden gully and no to Cohuna, it's not good for the central murray though to lose a club

I can’t see why the HDFL would want to bring in a new club that is struggling for a reserves team and doesn’t have a colts team.
I'm sure Cohuna will sell to the HDFL that they believe they will have more players coming to the Heathcote. They would be a better chance of getting into the Loddon Valley which would have some of the same benefits they are trying to achieve. Interesting to see how it all plays out.

Cohuna a proud footy town of nearly 3k people, they have nearly always had strong juniors, they are a far stronger club than leitchville. Their no thirds and struggle in the seconds has more to do with club politics this year, than the town in major decline.

They are far too big and strong to play Loddon valley. This is a club that's produced Appleby, archard ×2, andersons, treaceys, etc, they've got strong traditional rivalry with leitchy and locky, they nearly went into the bfl 20 years ago, the lv is on its knees with juniors, no clubs are heading there

Cohuna a proud footy town of nearly 3k people, they have nearly always had strong juniors, they are a far stronger club than leitchville. Their no thirds and struggle in the seconds has more to do with club politics this year, than the town in major decline.

They are far too big and strong to play Loddon valley. This is a club that's produced Appleby, archard ×2, andersons, treaceys, etc, they've got strong traditional rivalry with leitchy and locky, they nearly went into the bfl 20 years ago, the lv is on its knees with juniors, no clubs are heading there

How will switching League change Club Politics?
What chance have they got of getting players back that were effected by club politics.

Herald Sun article. 15 June.

Cohuna weighing up future in Central Murray league​

A day after two country clubs confirmed an attempt to move leagues, another has expressed a view to do the same. Here is what we know.

Shane Jones
Follow
Country Footy

Don't miss out on the headlines from Country Footy. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Unfollow
The Heathcote District league could expand to 12 teams next year with Cohuna Kangaroos the latest to express interest in joining.
The Central Murray league side will be holding a special meeting on July 13 to discuss the move to the Bendigo-based competition.
It follows Loddon Valley league clubs Maiden Gully YCW and Marong also expressing an interest to move into the Heathcote District league.
The Cohuna Kangaroos have been in Central Murray since 1996 when the club formed following the amalgamation of Cohuna and Union.
For the past few years the team has been among the top teams in seniors in Central Murray, leading the competition in 2021 before it was cancelled and then making the grand final last year, losing to Kerang.

Dylan Johnstone in action for Cohuna this season. Picture: Cohuna Football Club.
However, the club has yet to win a senior premiership in the competition.
Cohuna president Rick Easton said the potential move is in the early stages and nothing has been finalised.
“This is really early days,” he said.
“No official application has been submitted.

“It’s a process we’ve been given, we have to give a month’s notice to our members of a meeting to discuss it.”
Easton said the main reason behind the move is geographical.
A lot of Cohuna’s players and population are moving towards the area where the Heathcote District league is.
“Over the last few seasons, along with many other clubs, there’s been a slight decline in player numbers from juniors all the way through to seniors,” Easton said.

“Our geographical shift with our population and where our players and members seem to be heading is more Echuca, Bendigo and Melbourne.”
“We just put it out there to investigate an option moving forward for the future of the football club.”
Easton said the team was the happy with being in the Central Murray competition but had to explore the option.
“For 26 years we’ve been in the Central Murray league and there is nothing wrong with the league at all,” he said.
“We need to try and potentially stick to the trend of the population, our players and our members and what their wants and needs are.
“But this may or may not be the next move we make.”
Easton said the decision to make the next move was down to the members.
“It’s a reasonably high approval vote (to make a decision),” he said.
“We’re in the hands of our members.
“We need to provide them with information to make an informed decision one way or the other.”
Heathcote District league chairman Peter Cole said their competition can work with 12 teams if all three join for next year.
“They were the first (Cohuna) to notify us of their intention to come along,” he said.
“Absolutely (we can have 12).
“If our clubs accept all three and it becomes a part of our league, it’s pretty simple, we’ll just adopt the old VFL draw.
“It will be a two year cycle.
“But that’s a long way off (from happening).”

More Coverage​

Country footy: Bendigo heavyweights square offNew nursing opportunities in Bendigo
If Cohuna agrees to make the move, Heathcote will need to accept the application before Central Murray has the chance to appeal the move.
The AFL Central Victoria will then be forced to make a decision to approve or deny the entry.

Gourdis will be more than handy. If you can afford to play him as a key forward he will dominate this competition.
Massive disappointment so far.

Tyntynder have probably been the most disappointing side this season. For someone who grew up in the 90’s it’s amazing to see how far off the pace they now are.

Yep I remember those tyntynder teams, they were first in the league for all players to wear polos, they were a professional, well drilled machine, with champions everywhere and they could just recruit a gun to top them up
I was at the game Nyah new recruit was absolutely impressive let target in what they needed. They will make the 5 with him in the side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive disappointment so far.

Tyntynder have probably been the most disappointing side this season. For someone who grew up in the 90’s it’s amazing to see how far off the pace they now are.

Juniors has been the problem for Tyntynder. Apart from the Crowe boys and maybe the Storer lads they haven’t had anyone come through.

They either need to become a high paying club..which they haven’t been or get the juniors more productive

Jarrod Stokes was out against tyntynder too, good player with great smarts, not bad either to play 24 games and be a 1 pointer. Still no Bowden either since round 1.
Flights from QLD are hopefully not expensive either to be sitting where Boga is, beaten KB, Lalbert, Tyntynder and Nyah by a point.
Tooleybuc, second last with the league leading goalkicker. Doesn't help that their next best is 27th. Still a while to go but Balranald are ticking over nicely as well as Kerang with no big Lang since round 4.

Jarrod Stokes was out against tyntynder too, good player with great smarts, not bad either to play 24 games and be a 1 pointer. Still no Bowden either since round 1.
Flights from QLD are hopefully not expensive either to be sitting where Boga is, beaten KB, Lalbert, Tyntynder and Nyah by a point.
Tooleybuc, second last with the league leading goalkicker. Doesn't help that their next best is 27th. Still a while to go but Balranald are ticking over nicely as well as Kerang with no big Lang since round 4.

Kerang v Balranald grand final for me.

Has Patrick Vezpremi played for the Tigers yet?

You continue to underestimate those who play footy outside the suburbs of Melbourne.

Btw…when is your mate Patty playing?
I’m not criticising your league but it’s nowhere near edfl premier where he was playing previously. Maybe not training and that might have an effect or the skill level is not helping him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back