Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to find where I heard it. Maybe it was social security - people being told they owe a grand from 10 years ago and even one person said they still had statements from back then, showed them a payment for the exact amount and still couldn't get them to agree the debt was incorrect.

Now it's going to bug me all day if I don't remember where I heard it.

Centrelink payments are covered by law, policy & information supplied to the department by the recipient.
I don't recall Labor instigating a 'recovery' that they were told was actually illegal before they even started. So after the event, it went to court, & as expected was duly struck down.
That ignorant & stupid expedition, cost the taxpayer $1billion plus the misery & suicides it caused.
So please inform us if you have information to the contrary.
Services Australia are still acting like they did under the last government
Labor have tried to act like RoboDebt was the be all and end all of the issues with Services Australia

Labor restarted debt collections that had been paused under the previous government
Labor are going after debts going back to the 1970s

Labor are in government now and still talking about debt collection and still going after money and acting like its not going to cause misery and suicides or that its ok if it does as long as its legal

they've kept mutual obligations, they enacted the previous governments plan to change the points system

they're keeping work for the dole

other than RoboDebt itself what has actually changed for the better with our welfare system under Labor

what are they doing to improve the lives of people in poverty

because from what I can see they're continuing with draconion systems and punishment that makes job agencies rich and ruins the lives of people that need help

they did a lot of hand wringing in opposition about people not being able to afford to live on welfare payments and mutual obligations and other measures being no good

but not its BAU but with a little asterix that says at least its not robodebt and a wink

Services Australia are still acting like they did under the last government
Labor have tried to act like RoboDebt was the be all and end all of the issues with Services Australia

Labor restarted debt collections that had been paused under the previous government
Labor are going after debts going back to the 1970s

Labor are in government now and still talking about debt collection and still going after money and acting like its not going to cause misery and suicides or that its ok if it does as long as its legal

they've kept mutual obligations, they enacted the previous governments plan to change the points system

they're keeping work for the dole

other than RoboDebt itself what has actually changed for the better with our welfare system under Labor

what are they doing to improve the lives of people in poverty

because from what I can see they're continuing with draconion systems and punishment that makes job agencies rich and ruins the lives of people that need help

they did a lot of hand wringing in opposition about people not being able to afford to live on welfare payments and mutual obligations and other measures being no good

but not its BAU but with a little asterix that says at least its not robodebt and a wink
You can wink all you like. However benefits are prescribed under the act. Overpayment, determined by an actual person, needs to be recouped. The recipient can appeal to the AAT or whoever.
I agree the system makes it hard to eke out a living. Part of that is our unfair & quite relatively regressive tax system, at least when applied to people moving from benefit into work. I think the amounts that are allowed to be earned before a penalty is incurred, has been lifted. It should be higher still IMO.
We badly need a wealth tax to reduce the pressure on income tax.
Thats hard politically because the RW politicians & complicit RW media would attack with bared teeth. The ALP know that so need to tread wearily & slowly.
We also have inflationary pressures, especially due to the near $1Trillion LNP Federal debt left after the last election.

You can wink all you like. However benefits are prescribed under the act. Overpayment, determined by an actual person, needs to be recouped. The recipient can appeal to the AAT or whoever.
I agree the system makes it hard to eke out a living. Part of that is our unfair & quite relatively regressive tax system, at least when applied to people moving from benefit into work. I think the amounts that are allowed to be earned before a penalty is incurred, has been lifted. It should be higher still IMO.
We badly need a wealth tax to reduce the pressure on income tax.
Thats hard politically because the RW politicians & complicit RW media would attack with bared teeth. The ALP know that so need to tread wearily & slowly.
We also have inflationary pressures, especially due to the near $1Trillion LNP Federal debt left after the last election.
not me winking mate its the campaigners in power

Labor are in government, they can change the legislation, they could improve our welfare system, they'd get support from the greens for doing it

they don't want to

hiding behind the law as the reason why our welfare system is still as s**t as it is, when at every opportunity since gaining government Labor has rubber stamped the current system is just partisan bullshit

Shorten and Rishworth are 100% using the Robodebt RC as a way for saying every single problem with welfare was robodebt and we've turned that off so there rest is all good

and its not

but then some of this stuff happened under Rudd and Gillard, so its not like Labor haven't been anti poor for a while now

they just like pretending its not their fault (like inflation)

raising welfare payments to the poverty line would not be a bad thing but they pretend it would

the stage 3 tax cuts are a bad thing, but they pretend they're not

the trillion dollar debt line is also partisan politics as again stage 3 tax cuts, fossil fuel subsidies

labor not only don't want to fix this but ideologically they seem to agree with it

we've got a bunch of neoliberals in power again just in a different color tie pretending they aren't

On top of this, there is one thing for the wealthy to rort state subsidies while at the same time lecturing the lower class about 'leaning and not earning', but there is another thing all together when the middle class who are earning a decent wage but are only a layoff or interest rate hike away from trouble but who engage with the 'A Current Affair' dole bludger narrative outrage as if they think they have more in common with the actual rich that just boggles my mind

On top of this, there is one thing for the wealthy to rort state subsidies while at the same time lecturing the lower class about 'leaning and not earning', but there is another thing all together when the middle class who are earning a decent wage but are only a layoff or interest rate hike away from trouble but who engage with the 'A Current Affair' dole bludger narrative outrage as if they think they have more in common with the actual rich that just boggles my mind
i mean lets be real

the idea of the middle class was created for this exact purpose

its working as intended

look at all the people that think immigration is the issue with housing and not greed

its why the media runs so many stories about mum and dad landlords, see the landlords are like you, not like those immigrant who are taking your housing and your job and whatever else we want to blame them for

or those dirty dole bludgers that don't even have to pay for housing, public housing with your tax dollars!

I have to find where I heard it. Maybe it was social security - people being told they owe a grand from 10 years ago and even one person said they still had statements from back then, showed them a payment for the exact amount and still couldn't get them to agree the debt was incorrect.

Now it's going to bug me all day if I don't remember where I heard it.
Im probably wrong, but i think you maybe referring to the ATO on this one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back