Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the idea. It's designed to make you give up, to make it as difficult as possible to get to your payments, in order to avoid giving them out at all.

This kind of inconvenience is a design feature rather than something that should be prevented.
‘It’s a feature, not a bug.’

One of go-to quotes when discussing just about any system.

Mutual Obligations supposed to start back up tommorrow, leaving it late to extend it

Couple of hundred thousand hospitality workers applying for a handful of jobs with no real intention of taking the job (as their old job is still waiting for them when it starts back up)

Should be fun

Couple of hundred thousand hospitality workers applying for a handful of jobs with no real intention of taking the job (as their old job is still waiting for them when it starts back up)

Should be fun
The struggling businesses might need to "employ" someone to answer the phones and sift through the email applications for the non existent jobs

An internal government probe into the death of a Queensland teenager on a work for the dole site found his employment services provider had a history of failing to investigate serious incidents.

Watch absolutely ****ing NO ONE lose their job over this.
If it was a Labor govt you can be sure the murdoch press wouldn't let anyone forget.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Received a letter yesterday from my JSP dated 26 May saying I had to come in for an interview this morning. Thanks Australia Post.

Half an hour on hold, then got told don't come in, all interviews are being done over the phone due to corona, they will call you.

No call today.

I will be ****ing ropable if my dole gets suspended because I missed an appointment. Especially as I'm on a medical certificate that the JSP can't see in their system and won't let me send to them directly.

Last edited:
Odds are the provider has still been sending in that people aren't doing their obligation, even though they don't have to. They still have their incentive payments for trying to force people through hoops of ever decreasing size. And are no doubt reporting non-compliance so when mutual obligation does start up again, they can get all sorts of bonuses for kicking people off payments.

^^^ see post above ^^^

Received a letter yesterday from my JSP dated 26 May saying I had to come in for an interview this morning.

Half an hour on hold, then got told don't come in, all interviews are being done over the phone due to corona, they will call you.

No call today.

I will be ******* ropable if my dole gets suspended because I missed an appointment.
Call them 1st thing tomorrow just to cover your arse.
Keep all your documents and if you can , write everything down with dates and names ( where applicable ).

If ever there was a time to " dot your i's and cross your t's " , this is it !

Received a letter yesterday from my JSP dated 26 May saying I had to come in for an interview this morning.

No call today.

I will be ******* ropable if my dole gets suspended because I missed an appointment.
I posted the Cash statement earlier saying they wont suspend yet.

That comes a bit later ,though its going to be a bit unpopular to reimplement when you have a million more people on the dole and many of them current Liberal voters

If they really want the full flavour, the total experience, they need to do it when they are only getting half the current dole payment.

Truth. Even then they had it easy with the express low-documentation signup they were given.

I was really sad when mass people lost their jobs, its shit. I know what its like. But that was tempered by some form of satisfaction that a huge number of people were about to be exposed to the system and the word might actually get out about the reality of unemployment today.

The struggling businesses might need to "employ" someone to answer the phones and sift through the email applications for the non existent jobs

Under the new requirements starting 9 June there's no obligation to apply for any jobs. You are just required to have one appointment with your employment service provider. Even if you don't do that there's no financial penalty.

Received a letter yesterday from my JSP dated 26 May saying I had to come in for an interview this morning. Thanks Australia Post.

No call today.

I will be ******* ropable if my dole gets suspended because I missed an appointment. Especially as I'm on a medical certificate that the JSP can't see in their system and won't let me send to them directly.
Almost certainly the fault of the JSP, not Australia Post; it's probable that the letter was actually posted well after its purported date.

This is, and has been for years, a systematic practice of Centrelink - especially, for instance, in the case of letters giving you a fixed time to do something, such as updating means test info, etc.

Well this will be interesting.

Got a letter from Centrelink today (dated a week ago, naturally) saying that my latest doctors cert has bounced because after careful review they have determined that my illness is not temporary therefore I'm no longer eligible for jobseeker unless I get a job plan through my JSP.

Hang on, they are telling me that I am too sick to work because of a long-term condition, but I won't get anything unless I say I can work?

Thing is, you have to be on your deathbed to qualify for any form of sickness benefit these days (and even then they toss a coin), and I'm not. Even googling other people's experiences at how severe their conditions are yet still get rejected is mindblowing.

I guess they want me to crawl back to my JSP and say ignore the doctors, I'll be a good little boy from now on.

Just did some digging and this is why they are so keen on making the unemployed perform like circus animals. When a JSP gets someone on the books, they get $377.30 for every enrolled person under 30 years old, and a $269.50 fee for everyone over 30, and this is paid every six months when a Job Plan is created. Then it goes on a table:
jsp payments.png

So in my case, if I go and get a job (any job) which I keep for six months, they will be paid $8250 for doing absolutely **** all other than threaten to cut the dole if I don't jump through the hoops for them.

All this despite record numbers of people losing their jobs and job adverts down by 65%.

Too late to lose sleep over it tonight, I'll think it over tomorrow.

No wonder my JSP had no interest in me (unless I threatened to change) - they only would've got $1550 for me (and that was despite them not actually finding the job I got), or whatever it was back in the mid-2000's.

The irony is I now work directly oppposite what was my JSP back in the day.

All sorted. Their computer had a spazz and although my medical cert was approved it didn't make it into the database therefore I didn't have one. Spoke to a really helpful guy today, he manually put it through and got me to wait until it actually appeared on my record. He thanked me for being so helpful and understanding, people don't realise they are just having to do their job whether or not they agree with the policy or processes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back