Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

My JobSeeker Centerlink payments keep getting delayed, is this common? or is because there is such a large backlog? On the Centerlink app the payments keep getting delayed to the next day, this has been happening for over a week now!

On the centrelink home page, does it have any outstanding tasks?

Last edited:
But when I go to report is says 'Our records say you do not need to report at this time'
Fair enough, sounds like a glitch at their end, try and get through to them on the phone.

This has been happening to quite a few people.

Some people have found the issue to be...
Ordinarily you are required to attend an interview with a Jobnetwork provider before you are paid. This requirement has been waived but no doubt the system hasn't been properly updated to reflect this change.

If you can get through on the phone or in person at an office AND if you are in financial distress they are required by their guidelines to resolve the matter as a matter of urgency (usually this should result in payment the next business day).

Ordinarily you are required to attend an interview with a Jobnetwork provider before you are paid. This requirement has been waived but no doubt the system hasn't been properly updated to reflect this change.

If you can get through on the phone or in person at an office AND if you are in financial distress they are required by their guidelines to resolve the matter as a matter of urgency (usually this should result in payment the next business day).

Which is why they are constantly undermanned, because their systems that should be automatic, constantly need human intervention.

Odds are the provider has still been sending in that people aren't doing their obligation, even though they don't have to. They still have their incentive payments for trying to force people through hoops of ever decreasing size. And are no doubt reporting non-compliance so when mutual obligation does start up again, they can get all sorts of bonuses for kicking people off payments.

And what may seem like a simple piece of code is unlikely to be the case. Things are connected in magical ways in Centrelink's systems. The testing required could take just as long as the obligations are shut off for.

Odds are the provider has still been sending in that people aren't doing their obligation, even though they don't have to. They still have their incentive payments for trying to force people through hoops of ever decreasing size. And are no doubt reporting non-compliance so when mutual obligation does start up again, they can get all sorts of bonuses for kicking people off payments.

And what may seem like a simple piece of code is unlikely to be the case. Things are connected in magical ways in Centrelink's systems. The testing required could take just as long as the obligations are shut off for.

There is suspicion that they are forcing those who were receiving benefits prior to Coronavirus to comply with mutual obligation even though mutual obligation is supposed to be suspended.

There is suspicion that they are forcing those who were receiving benefits prior to Coronavirus to comply with mutual obligation even though mutual obligation is supposed to be suspended.

Nah, it hasn't been an issue. Can't even remember the last time I had an obligation, think it was last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried to ring them about the problems with my payment and the pricks keep hanging up on me saying they are to busy! Also rang the services Australia number same thing they just suspend the call!

Useless!!
Ring the complaints line, and give them your CRN. That line's usually pretty good, give them a complaint (pretty much what you've just said here) and ask if they personally can help you. If they can't they'll put you on hold to the standard phone line, which sucks but eventually someone will pick up the phone.

I tried to ring them about the problems with my payment and the pricks keep hanging up on me saying they are to busy! Also rang the services Australia number same thing they just suspend the call!

Useless!!

I had the same. But they are on the phones until 8pm Eastern time. Try calling after 6pm. You'll be on hold for a while but you will get through eventually.

Ring the complaints line, and give them your CRN. That line's usually pretty good, give them a complaint (pretty much what you've just said here) and ask if they personally can help you. If they can't they'll put you on hold to the standard phone line, which sucks but eventually someone will pick up the phone.
What’s the complaints line number?

Useless!!

Are you new to this?

You haven't been reading (or perhaps caring about) reports of this for years?

One good thing about coronavirus is that hundreds of thousands of formerly employed Australians who never cared about how Centrelink treated people or spoke out about it are now finding out what it is really like.

Are you new to this?

One good thing about coronavirus is that hundreds of thousands of formerly employed Australians who never cared about how Centrelink treated people or spoke out about it are now finding out what it is really like.
Yes and no.
If they really want the full flavour, the total experience, they need to do it when they are only getting half the current dole payment.

Are you new to this?

Yes I am new to this (the current system anyway), I haven't had a need to go on Centrelink payments since I was a student over 15 years ago, now out of a job due to the bloody virus. But I kinda have something lined up so hopefully wont be on it for to long, But I would like my backpay.
The system is a shambles it discourages more than encourages.

The system is a shambles it discourages more than encourages.
That's the idea. It's designed to make you give up, to make it as difficult as possible to get to your payments, in order to avoid giving them out at all.

This kind of inconvenience is a design feature rather than something that should be prevented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back