ch7 score graphic question

Remove this Banner Ad

aesthetic

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2011
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
why do 7 persist with inconsistency on the score graphics?

eg. today it was:
Hawthorn
Sydney Swans

i know it seems trivial but it would look more professional to have either 'Hawthorn' and 'Sydney' or else also have 'hawks' and 'swans' for both. It seems to be a common occurrence and it looks half arsed yet it seems too obvious to miss.

The ladder and fixtures on the afl website do the same thing. I think it's just some clubs include the nickname with their branding. I know Geelong changed it to use Geelong Cats everywhere instead of just Geelong recently.

Clubs submit their 'shortened title'* to the AFL before each season and Seven takes it from there for their scoreboard.

In some cases, like Sydney, the animal/symbol name is also formally part of the club's name (Sydney Swans Football Club).

But I agree it would look neater onscreen if they were all shortened.

*not sure they use that terminology but it's too late for me to be bothered finding the specific term

"Sydney Swans" as opposed to just "Sydney" recognises the South Melbourne component of the club's history.

Nitpicking here a bit, but the "official" legal name of the Lions is the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club (hence the BBFFC on the back of the guernseys). The Western Bulldogs are still the Footscray Football Club legally, with the other names of these clubs being "trading names". It is legally the Sydney Swans Football Club and the West Coast Eagles Football Club, but also legally the Adelaide Football Club and the Geelong Football Club in spite of the AFL using Crows and Cats in their names (as would Channel 7). Lastly, Fremantle wanted to be Fremantle Dockers Football Club, but a copyright held by Levi Jeans prevented this, but the fact that there hadn't been a Fremantle Football Club for a century meant that there was no confusion with any other Club. A prominent NRL example would be the use of the trading name of the Sydney Roosters Football Club for the Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club.

But yes, Channel 7 just use the names provided by the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back