Preview Changes for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I was in the 'no way moving ed from the backline' camp, but im giving Richards a chance to repeat his midifield performance from last week. 34 disposals (14 contested) , 575MG, 13 SI, 7 clearances and 3 goal assists AND the leading player for pressure on the ground. Thats a massive contribution.

It was a decent return. Albeit against witches hats. Our whole midfield group had season best games. He was ordinary in his other two games.

We could have given Dale maximum midfield minutes last week and probably would’ve see the same return. Maybe just without the same clearance numbers.

I’m hoping last weeks game has played him in to form back in defence as he’s one of the games best half backs. His best position.

It’s likely he’ll get another run though with no changes.

It was a decent return. Albeit against witches hats. Our whole midfield group had season best games. He was ordinary in his other two games.

We could have given Dale maximum midfield minutes last week and probably would’ve see the same return. Maybe just without the same clearance numbers.

I’m hoping last weeks game has played him in to form back in defence as he’s one of the games best half backs. His best position.

It’s likely he’ll get another run though with no changes.

Richards was also great against those other witches hats, the Saints.

Honestly I thought that Vandermeer was missing, it's hard to imagine being right to go a week later when a guy the size of Nankervis lands knee first on your ankle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanders needs to be more damaging with his disposals. Sure he gets a lot of it but most are 1 metre handballs. Coaches obviously want him to work on a few things and develop him for the long term. Didn’t hurt Macrae who was similarly dropped early in his career despite getting a tonne of the ball.

GWS v Western Bulldogs

Saturday 18 May 4.35pm AEST
ENGIE Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park • Wangal
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, James O’Donnell
HB: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, James Harmes
HF: Laith Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Riley Garcia
F: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards
INT: Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae, Luke Cleary, Harvey Gallagher, Joel Freijah
EMG: Rory Lobb, Arthur Jones, Anthony Scott

In: Caleb Daniel
Out: Jason Johannisen (hamstring)

Thanks, me

Daniel is a horrible sub. You need someone versatile and ideally bags of pace. Nobody on our interchange really ticks both those boxes. Would be a shame to see Cleary or Freijah demoted. Maybe Gallagher is the best bet. He’s had a good run at it.
If they want Freijah to be available for Sydney and Collingwood they'd have to consider him for the sub role or as someone, barring injury, to be subbed.

Gallagher for sub, please. Much better game last week after a quiet/down few weeks, but let the boy have a bit of a rest & likely not have to play near a full game.

Nobody else would make sense for the role from that bench.

Sorry for the intrusion but didn’t someone previously say that whenever your bench is not listed alphabetically then the last player is always the sub? So in this case it would be Macrae?

(I’m just lurking for Supercoach reasons but thought I’d help with the sub topic haha)

Sorry for the intrusion but didn’t someone previously say that whenever your bench is not listed alphabetically then the last player is always the sub? So in this case it would be Macrae?

(I’m just lurking for Supercoach reasons but thought I’d help with the sub topic haha)
It would be best to stay away from Macrae for SC because of the Bevo factor.

Daniel is a horrible sub. You need someone versatile and ideally bags of pace. Nobody on our interchange really ticks both those boxes. Would be a shame to see Cleary or Freijah demoted. Maybe Gallagher is the best bet. He’s had a good run at it.

I'd argue Daniel is versatile and a decent option as sub. With legs getting heavier as the game wears on, pace won't be as big of a deficiency as it normally would be for slower types. Some examples of this working off the top of my head would be Hewett for Carlton last week, Sam Berry kicking the matchwinner earlier this year and having a fair amount of the ball, Lipiniski in the Grand final, Jack Carroll in the first game against Brisbane. There's probably countless examples.

This whole thing of the sub needs to have pace is a myth.

Yep OG read it perfectly last week.

I wouldn't read too much into it this week. I'm pretty confident Daniel will be the sub. Macrae has been playing fairly well and it would be strange to move him back into the sub role.

My theory is that it was in alphabetical order with Bramble on the bench, Johannisen on the back pocket and Daniel as emergency but Johannisen being a late out messed it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back