Preview Changes/Preview – Round 11 vs. Euro-Yroke (St Kilda)

Remove this Banner Ad

At least this might actually force him to push Petty into defence.

Doesn’t bode well for dropping BBB though - I just can’t see them running with JVR as the solo tall forward.

Fullarton was an emergency (as was Tomlinson) so even accounting for stubborn Goody I can't see any way Brown stays in.

Out: Lever, Brown, Billings, Oliver (sub)
In: Woey, JVR, Langdon

Move Petty back. When Lever is fit, it's either Petty or TMac out.

Controversially I'm sick of gifting Oliver games. Either drop him or make him sub. Give his midfield minutes to Sparrow who I think gets a bad rap around here - it's not his fault Goody doesn't play him properly.

I'd also love to drop Salem as I think he is a waste of space, but Goody loves him and he wasn't terrible in the midfield last week.

All of this doesn't matter because Goody will do exactly this:
What should happen
Out: Lever, Billings, Sparrow, Brown
In: JVR, Woewodin, Sestan, Langdon

What will happen
Out: Lever, Woewodin (sub)
In: Tomlinson, Laurie (sub)

Controversially I'm sick of gifting Oliver games.

From Sunday's game re Clarry:

#1 on ground for contested possessions
#1 on ground for clearances
#3 on ground for tackles
#1 on ground ground ball gets

He wasn't great, but dropping him after that game, in the context of what we were bad at, is classic BigFooty whipping boy stuff.

#3 on ground for tackles

He wasn't great, but dropping him after that game, in the context of what we were bad at, is classic BigFooty whipping boy stuff.
He's become a bog standard accumulator. He is not damaging in any way whatsoever. Hacks the ball forward at every opportunity or handballs to a mate immediately under pressure. Just ends up helping create turnovers rather than set up clean forays forward.

He's become a bog standard accumulator. He is not damaging in any way whatsoever. Hacks the ball forward at every opportunity or handballs to a mate immediately under pressure. Just ends up helping create turnovers rather than set up clean forays forward.

In a team struggling with clearances and ground ball gets, there's 0 chance he comes out given the above stats. The cathartic bashing of him is getting a bit silly.

#3 on ground for tackles

Agree totally.

He looks a different player but still has his baseline capability and craft. He’s also rock bottom now so he either stays there or goes upwards. I’d like to watch him and hope he goes upwards.

In a team struggling with clearances and ground ball gets, there's 0 chance he comes out given the above stats. The cathartic bashing of him is getting a bit silly.
I agree that he won’t be dropped but he’s averaging near career lows in just about every measurable stat this year. The criticism of his lack of impact given his substantial wage is justified. I’m glad his stats looked ok yesterday but he was part of a midfield that got smashed and he had little impact.

I know he isn't getting dropped, everyone knows. It doesn't mean criticism of him isn't valid. Everyone here bashes Sparrow constantly, same with Brown. I stand by my criticism of him being a bog average accumulator currently and wonder what he brings to the team over other players who could play mid for us.

I agree that he won’t be dropped but he’s averaging near career lows in just about every measurable stat this year. The criticism of his lack of impact given his substantial wage is justified. I’m glad his stats looked ok yesterday but he was part of a midfield that got smashed and he had little impact.

He's struggling for sure, but he's not the only one, and in a game where clearances and ground balls were the story of the game he at least did his part there. There's obvs other areas he's sucking in, but calling for him to be dropped is just an excuse to bash him as whipping boy of the week.

I know he isn't getting dropped, everyone knows. It doesn't mean criticism of him isn't valid. Everyone here bashes Sparrow constantly, same with Brown. I stand by my criticism of him being a bog average accumulator currently and wonder what he brings to the team over other players who could play mid for us.
Fair enough, he's absolutely not above criticism this week. Just think he's copping it in an over the top way this week.

Fair enough, he's absolutely not above criticism this week. Just think he's copping it in an over the top way this week.
I think so too. He has been underwhelming since round 2. But he’s a midfielder. They rely heavily on their synergy and look their best when working well together. Nothing in that midfield is working well and it’s not on one guy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in the "drop the campaigner" camp. He looks unfit, his second efforts are shocking, his tackles are poor.
I've caught the odd glimpse of what he was, but it's not enough. I want to see him at his rabid best and if it means having a "training block" or whatever then do it.

if it means having a "training block" or whatever then do it.

This part I can 100% get around.

Aside from the obvious game style stuff, this is what we need to be rotating through the gun players. Managing, training, loading, whatever, but get them off and get them right now before it's too late. Stop running them into the ground.

What did people expect from Oliver? He’s coming off such a low base of preparation. To get to where he is now is a bloody good effort. In reality he is so important to us that I think we’ll pretty much need peak Oliver to challenge again. Bring on 2025.
Edit - We won’t and shouldn’t drop Oliver.

Sorry this is gonna be a long ass doomy gloomy post

I've tried so hard to be positive about this team and feel like I'm usually the one to tell the negative supporters to settle down but it sucks cos you were all right in the end lol

I'm in my early-mid 20s with a big social life but I've always tried my best to make it to every Dees game and go to them as well. I've been to 27 Melbourne games since the flag and all I've recieved back is 90% of it being boring, s**t footy and a double straight sets exit.

I sorta called it after the semi final that I would go to a lot less footy this year and after last nights loss I've never been more determined to keep it that way. In fact last nights game was the first time in a long time I'd switched off halfway through the third quarter and got on with my life.
Hell I would've felt a bit better about last night if we managed to get 90+ with Fritsch kicking a bag or something, that's actually fun to watch

Like I went to Melbourne vs Geelong with my Girlfriend and her Brother who are mad Geelong fans, and as fun as that last quarter was, it was a crappy game. At half time they were saying this is the worst game they've ever seen and I was like yeah that's most Melbourne games.

I sat through plenty of drubbings at MCG and waited most of my life for us to be a decent team but somehow they've found a way to make it unejoyable and our best year/flag year in another state as well lol.
It's strange, I guess there's a bit of expectation now with team so we want to be more than just competitive.

The bottom line is it's going to be a pretty bad crowd and us fans are going to cop it but the reality I see no reason for us to show up. I genuinely can't be bothered wasting my time and money to watch some s**t footy.
I felt this post. Great articulation of what the past few years have felt like.

Improvement. Sadly we're a third of the way through the season and there hasn't been much of it. He's literally in career-worst form.
Unfortunately he was injured. Worse than we initially knew with that hand. He started to show some good signs prior to that. And only now starting to be able to cleanly pick the ball up. That hand injury was probably a bigger set back than we all anticipated. The midfield on a whole of struggling.

What did people expect from Oliver? He’s coming off such a low base of preparation. To get to where he is now is a bloody good effort. In reality he is so important to us that I think we’ll pretty much need peak Oliver to challenge again. Bring on 2025.
Edit - We won’t and shouldn’t drop Oliver.
That was was his own ****ing fault for being a crack head hanging around on the captain's couch. He doesn't get any credit for rocking up in shit fitness looking out of shape and playing selfish footy.
Bloody good effort 😂 more like one of the main culprits for the downfall of this club but hey let's all get out our pom poms and cheer on the fantastic 5/10 performances of one of the highest paid players in the competition

Do what makes you happy man. We all love the club but when its like this I honestly think its better to just take some time away from even following the game at all. If we finish the year like this I reckon I'll end up deleting my account on here, I love the Melbourne board but the relationship we all have with this club is pretty abusive lol.
Don’t delete your account man, plenty of good chat on here, we’re all in this together. Also I hear headless has some more ‘Who am I?’ In the pipeline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back