Remove this Banner Ad

w00dy

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23775072-661,00.html

CONTROVERSIAL Footy Show star Sam Newman will be missing from the program tonight after Channel 9 management ordered him to take an extended break from television.

Nine yesterday told its star of 15 years he needed time to "recover and convalesce" from two major operations, including the removal of his prostate.

He was also told to attend counselling about behaviour that critics say has marred his recent performances on the longtime ratings winner.

Nine's executive director and GTV9 managing director, Jeffrey Browne, yesterday said the station should not have allowed Newman back on air so soon after a life-threatening illness.

"In order to allow Sam to return to full health without the stress of having to perform on live television each week, I have directed him to take a break from The Footy Show," Mr Browne told the Herald Sun.

"As a component of this rehabilitation, I have arranged for Sam to undergo counselling to address, with professional assistance, the behaviour and issues that have attended what I now believe to be his premature return to the program."

Newman has accepted Nine's orders and will not appear on The Footy Show tonight. Asked when Newman might return to the show, which last week suffered a big drop in female viewers, Mr Browne said: "This is not about time. It is about the result.

"Once Sam has had the opportunity to have the time off he always should have had off, and once I am fully satisfied he has fully recovered, he will be back.

"This is not a stunt. It is a serious exercise. It is about Sam's health and welfare."

Newman has this year angered many people, including some AFL executives and a powerful group of women actively involved at the top levels of football, with on-air comments and actions.

Of most concern to them was a skit involving an unclothed mannequin on April 3.

On a subsequent program, Newman described a group of women in football who had signed a letter of protest against him as "liars and hypocrites" and questioned the role women played in the game.

"They serve very little purpose at board level," Newman said
"What do they do? I'm not knocking women (but) for very little input they demand a lot of clout," Newman said on air. He was unavailable for comment last night.

The 62-year-old had surgery to remove his prostate on March 5. He appeared, via a live cross, on The Footy Show the following week.

Compounding his health concerns was an incident involving gym weights early this month in which he broke an ankle, which also required complicated surgery.

"Sam has this year been faced with a life-threatening illness and has undergone major surgery," Mr Browne said.

"He has been through an extreme physical and emotional ordeal which has taken its toll, as one would expect even in a much younger man.

"It was Sam's desire to return to his role on The Footy Show within weeks of his surgery and it has become apparent to me that he has performed with underlying emotional issues, which ordinarily attend a prostate removal operation and which normally would have been considerably assisted by an extended period of convalescence."

Mr Browne denied Nine was sexist. "The Nine network, in its entirety, is respectful of women," he said.

"It fully respects all women and all women in football.

"What I want to do is fully understand what has occurred in the context of Sam's illness and give Sam the proper and due time to recover.

"We are going to supplement that period with counselling and professional assistance so as to understand the reasons why some things have occurred and why some things must not occur again.

"Anyone who has been through a life-threatening situation knows there are many post-operative issues to address."

so now it was his prostate talking? i can't see sam being too happy about this... wouldn't surprise me if he just wraps up the footy show... although i don't know what else he'd do for coin...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23774842-7582,00.html

This is ridiculous, people just take themselves too seriously these days. It's humerous. Every time they take the piss through a male it's not because his a male it's because what his done is funny. The same when a woman stuffs up they make fun of her because she stuffed up not because she's a woman. In these days of equal rights, people should just toughen up. Geez. I would love to hear a ladies perspective on this ?

O.k here it is........Sam IS the footy show IMO......Naturally I hope he fully recovers, but I dont get offended by Sams antics at all, so if that is the reason they have taken him off the show, then they dont know the general public....Yes, people, more and more, are being too precious, particularly some women......Lighten up folks, a sense of humour is what made this great country..and the Footy Show

I'll still watch it, but the show wont be the same.

Hopefully Brayshaw gets the arse next.

No doubt we can all thank that halfwit Caroline Wilson for kicking up a huge fuss about Sams treatment of her a few shows back for something like this to happen.Channel 9 are mad as it will affect their ratings without Sam on and i am pretty sure Sam himself couldnt give a toss about him being left out of the show too

O.k here it is........Sam IS the footy show IMO......Naturally I hope he fully recovers, but I dont get offended by Sams antics at all, so if that is the reason they have taken him off the show, then they dont know the general public....Yes, people, more and more, are being too precious, particularly some women......Lighten up folks, a sense of humour is what made this great country..and the Footy Show

Thanks for you feedback MM, i really don't understand. It's only lighthearted banter and channel 9 have taken this just too far IMO. The ratings for show will drop.

I'll still watch it, but the show wont be the same.

Hopefully Brayshaw gets the arse next.

I don't mind James Brayshaw. Would still love Eddy, but yeah don't mind Jimmy either.

CARNTHEEAGLES !

No doubt we can all thank that halfwit Caroline Wilson for kicking up a huge fuss about Sams treatment of her a few shows back for something like this to happen.Channel 9 are mad as it will affect their ratings without Sam on and i am pretty sure Sam himself couldnt give a toss about him being left out of the show too
We are huge Sam Newman fans, but I dont blame Caroline Wilson for this drama......she, and only she, had a right to be offended (or not) as the skit was about her......The other women who butted in, and dragged it all out again, brought it to the attention of the papers etc, it just grew and grew from there........Blame them, AFL and Ch9 for all becoming too politically correct and losing their sense of humour, and lack of judgement on what we, the viewers really want..........and that is Sam!!.....No Sam, No Footy Show.....simple as that:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back