Chelsea FC - Pride of London

Remove this Banner Ad

So the murmuring around the net this morning are that G. Cahill will sign officially tomorrow (which may be late tonight our time) and be available for the next EPL game.

What are everyone's thoughts? Who should our CB's be for the weekends game at home to Sunderland? Stick with Luiz and Terry or throw Cahill straight in the partner JT? And for that matter, when Ivanovic is back what then?

I feel we should go straight away with Cahill and JT. And when Iva returns he can go to RB. Even though I keep saying we should only use Iva sparingly at RB given his constant threats to quit over it I feel to save this season a back four of Iva-Cahill-Terry-Cole will provide a solid defence to launch a revival off of.

Of course this doesn't take into account any possible lengthy ban Terry may receive over the race row.

Yeah agree with you bren, start Cahill with JT asap. Sunderland are in great form and we can't afford a WTF moment from Luiz against them. Iva at RB and see what Luiz can offer in a midfield role.

I think I heard that the form table for the beginning of december until now has Sunderland on top? Not the best time to be playing them. But surely there won't be a repeat of last seasons game at the bridge. 0-3. That was humiliating.

An All English centre back pairing, sounds good to me. Hopefully they can produce the same form as they have for England. Start JT and Cahill in centre.
Ivan rb and perhaps Luiz holding mf where he has the freedom to run freely.
However, in saying that we don't want to move Ivan in RB permanently with him threatening to quit and all.

Is Ivan threatening to leave? Haven't heard that one.

I like having a 3rd CB at right back. Another option should be Essien who would be excellent there.

I dunno what people see in Cahill, but lets see what he can do next to JT.

Ivan continues to threaten to quit Chelsea if he can't play in his preffered cb.

I don't like the idea of Essien in defence. He's our midfield general and much better in mf anyway. He's best at directing play from holding mf.

Ivan continues to threaten to quit Chelsea if he can't play in his preffered cb.

I don't like the idea of Essien in defence. He's our midfield general and much better in mf anyway. He's best at directing play from holding mf.

As Hatchy said, Iva has been threatening for a couple of seasons to quit if we keep playing him at RB. Even though he made the Prem team of the season at RB in our Double year.

As for Essien at RB, no way. He's too good in midfield. And he played there in our ECL final and got smashed, albeit by Ronaldo. Has the determination for the role but not the tactical awareness. Would love to see him come back and slot into DM.

Not sure if Christine smashed him - certainly beat him for the headed goal I'll give you that, but CR is quality in the air.

Essien was very average in midfield when he did play last season.

Maybe smashed was the wrong term, but he CR definitely took the points in the battle. Bad luck on Essien;s part, they only moved CR onto the right to get him away from Cole who CR rates as his toughest opponent.

I agree he hasn't been his best for some time, but I don't think he has had a decent run without injuries for a while and I have no doubts when he played last in the first team he was either carrying something or a little wary of a possible relapse. Plus the sheer amount of time he has missed over the last few seasons will leave him a bit rusty. I would still prefer him in the 11 when fit, even if it takes a while to get back to top form.

Maybe smashed was the wrong term, but he CR definitely took the points in the battle. Bad luck on Essien;s part, they only moved CR onto the right to get him away from Cole who CR rates as his toughest opponent.

I agree he hasn't been his best for some time, but I don't think he has had a decent run without injuries for a while and I have no doubts when he played last in the first team he was either carrying something or a little wary of a possible relapse. Plus the sheer amount of time he has missed over the last few seasons will leave him a bit rusty. I would still prefer him in the 11 when fit, even if it takes a while to get back to top form.

Agree, at best he is definitely starting 11. I would like to see AVB give him a few more games in the reserves to get match fitness and his own form up.

If he gets 09/10 form back he gets the nod for dm every week. We look so much more co-ordinated in midfield with him playing then when he's not.
A midfield trio of Essien, Ramires and Meireles looks great.

Did well to take 3 points against the black cats...they could quite easily have put 2 or 3 past us. Defence continues to get cut apart :(. I think Cahill has to play in place of Luiz for our next match.

Quick mention for 'Nando too, who I thought was our best player last night. Keep it going son, the goals will come. :thumbsu:

Yeah can't believe we kept a clean sheet given some of their chances.

If Torres shot had gone in I would of creamed myself, but he can't seem to buy a goal atm. In FT9 I trust!

Also was good to see Essien back :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty soon will see the real Nando. I'm sure of it.

Anyway great to finally get a win and a clean sheet is the bonus. No matter the style of the victory. A win is a win.

Was really surprised when I saw Essien named on the bench. Would have thought he would play at least once more in reserves. But hey, who cares - The Bison is back!

So we FINALLY signed Cahill. Should start at the weekend. We are also being linked with a move for Marseille's Spanish right-back Cesar Azpilicueta. From what I've seen of the kid in the past I think he could be a good player. Shouldn't cost the earth. 12m being quoted. Is only 22 and is said to be only behind Ramos and Arbeloa as Spain's next right-back, with no reason why he can't knock the latter back in the pecking order. Can't be any worse than Bosingwa.

Well Alex has gone...
Confirmed on the clubs website

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2591278,00.html

Wish him the best of luck for the future. Been a great service to Chelsea and scored many wonderful goals. I'll be sorry to see him leave.

Didn't deserve to be treated the way he has since AVB took over, ultimately being banned from all club facilities. No one deserves that.

2 dyas left in the transfer window and I doubt we'll see any more action.

Alex has gone. 4m for a guy that would be worth at least double that had he been allowed to play more over the last year. Quality player we've lost for bugger all. It looks like we've dropped our interest in Willian due to transfer demands and inability to secure a work permit. Rumours of a deal for Eden Hazard will rumble on into the summer transfer window.

The only one I think will be completed is the signing of Kevin De Bruyne from Genk for 8m. I really like the kid (20yo winger). But is one for the future with reports we will loan back to Genk for the rest of the season then send him out on loan somewhere for 12/13. The kid is a right footed mid/winger who can play on either wing or through the middle and has an eye for a great pass, or a long range goal. Would compliment Mata very well if he comes on as expected.

If we signed De Bruyne and make a play for Hazard we could be looking at 4 top class Belgians on the books after we signed Courtois and Lukaku. Up the Belgian Blues!

We always seem to get short-changed when we sell our players (probably mostly our fault though). Sucks about Ramires missing the next month but hopefully the bison can fill his role again. And yes I would love to see those Belgians in blue.

The main reason we have been getting short changed is because we come out publicly and say that we want the player out and they are banned from the first team. We are never going to get good money for a quality player on those terms.

Also a lot of players we buy at a premium at 26-28yo on a 5 year deal run that deal down to the last year so we have no bargaining position. Especially lately when a lot of those players are either over 30 or fast approaching it and are asking for bumper pay rises at a time when we are trying to cut our wage bill. Whilst we signed Cahill for a reported 80k a week contract we have rid ourselves of Alex who would have been on similar and Anelka who would have been on 100k+. There are also reports we will offload Bosingwa, Malouda, Kalou and Drogba in the summer who would all be on 60-120k.

Well we just robbed Swansea of 2 points. Not much to take out of that game. Our midfield was horrendous. Malouda especially. Romeu was poor. Essien looked lively at least. Cole had a terrible game and will now miss our clash with Man U. Even a lot of Mata's touches were poor. Only positive I think was Bosingwa played well, controlled Sinclair and provided a lot of energy going forward. Put it some poor crosses but other than that was good I thought.

I just hope AVB gives Bertrand a crack at left back against MU rather than pull one of his ridiculous selections like Bos/Ferreira at left back.

Just saw a damning stat. We just bought another 18yo and this takes our tally of players to 23 under 19 yr olds, 12 over 30s and 5 in the middle. One of whom is Meireles. Not gonna win much with that balance.

Didn't catch the game but given Swansea's impressive home record I can live with a draw.

Saw the starting line-up and with JT out why didn't Cahill start??? Also AVB needs to stop playing Kalouda and play some youngsters FFS! Would also love to see Bertrand get a start against manure but like you said, he'll probably select the proven spuds like Bosingwa.

Didn't catch the game but given Swansea's impressive home record I can live with a draw.

Saw the starting line-up and with JT out why didn't Cahill start??? Also AVB needs to stop playing Kalouda and play some youngsters FFS! Would also love to see Bertrand get a start against manure but like you said, he'll probably select the proven spuds like Bosingwa.

You should be glad you didn't catch the game. First half was some of the worst stuff I've seen us produce for a long time and if it takes an own goal from a Boz cross to steal a point at Swansea well... you get the picture.

If I see Boz line up at LB, I'm almost going to concede the loss. The thought of Valencia running at Boz *shudder*.

Really starting to think Chelsea has forgotten what exactly a winger is. Can we have Sinclair back? :eek:

What a pathetic performance. Anyone else lost complete faith in AVB?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back