Delisted Claye Beams (2009-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 27, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pick 76 in the 2009 Rookie Draft (zone selection)

beams.jpg

Summary:

* Queensland selection (#31)
* Queensland vs Tasmania (#34)
* Queensland team of the year (#45)
* 2010 review (#51)
* Shanghai Showdown (#57)
* elevated to senior list: pick 66 in the national draft (#65)
* allocated number 17 guernsey (#80)
* debut: round 1 vs Fremantle (#93)
* navicular fracture in foot (#123)
* 2011 review (#139)
* Round 1 Rising Star nomination (#178)
* 2012 review (#290)

Contract status: 2012-2014

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2010: -
2011: =30th (2 votes)
2012: 8.5 votes

Coach's votes:

Tribunal record:

I would possibly pick him up as a Queensland rookie, along with possibly Matt Fowler. I would consider him a good prospect with a lot of upside who has only just committed to footy, and could mean he has a fair bit of development left.

I'm not as big a fan as others seem to be but agree with offsider in that he could be worth a rookie pick. Fair bit of upside/talent to work with

hmmm his brother plays for collingwood (dayne) and we are heard to also have interest in claye. Will be a good pic up for whoever team. However that tatt should be covered up. Horrible

based on the assumption that tatt quality and football skills are directly proportional, looks half the player his brother is

looking forward to seeing what juddy can do with that earlobe though

I've heard that you guys have given assurances to Claye that if he is available that you will pick him up in the rookie draft. For what it is worth I think he could develop into a fine inside midfielder.

Claye Beams

Height: 182cm
Weight: 77kg
DOB: 11/09/91
Recruited from: Labrador (QLD)

Bio: Natural midfielder who only returned to football midway through 2009 after concentrating on cricket for several years. Ultra impressive for Labrador in six senior games in late 2009. Younger brother of Collingwood's Dayne Beams. Level 14.2 beep test at Victorian screening showcased his endurance.

From afl.com.au draft profiles.

30/04/2009

Beams is the son of Mulwala legend Phil -Teapot- Beams. Originally from Mulwala, Phil Beams won a remarkable seven best and fairests for the (Mulwala) Lions and the league's O Dwyer Medal in 1987. He also played in Mulwala's 1990 premiership under Peter Seymour. Claye Beams, on the other hand, is a talented cricketer. A wicketkeeper-batsman, Beams played club cricket for Mudgeeraba-Nerang and was a member of Queenslands under-19 squad last year. He last played football in the QAFL under-19s for Southport, the club Collingwood drafted Dayne from, in 2007.

Link

CLAYE Beams, the 17-year-old brother of Collingwood's Dayne Beams, will put himself up for November's AFL draft after impressing in six senior games for Labrador in the QAFL.

"Footy was always my dream - cricket was something I played in the off-season - but I was pretty small as a kid and realistically I thought I had more chance of making it in cricket," said Beams, who has grown to 182cm and 78kg."Watching Dayne play re-ignited the footy spark and I decided to have a crack at it. I haven't regretted it for one second."

Link

Claye was a standout junior player at Mudgeeraba. He won the Gold Coast League U12 B&F Medal and finished runner-up in the corresponding award at U14 level but gave football away when told he was ‘too small’ to make it at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phantom Drafts:

Offsider

Pick 3: Clay Beams
Height: 182cm - Weight: 78kg - DOB: 18 years old
Club: Labrador (QLD)
Brisbane to probably pick up the next best mid IMO after taking a ruck and a medium forward and Clay looks to be a good prospect similar to his brother in style although not as developed, due to him just having committed to the game.

Bio: Clay is a tough inside midfielder who plays a similar game to his brother, ie good ball winning ability though only average athletic qualities. His kicking is good over short to medium distances and he weights his passes well although he does kick a little up and under not that flat. His hands in close are good under pressure and he can rove the ball well and shows good courage around the contests also he has a good defensive side to his game. He doesn’t rack up massive numbers but this should improve over time as should his size, and he also can kick goals as a midfielder similar to his brother, a good prospect.

Snoop Dog (rookie)

C.Beams / Labrador / 182cm / 78kg

Brisbane Lions – QLD Rookie Selection

Claye is an outstanding young cricketer who if doesnt play AFL will potentially end up playing for QLD or even Vic as there was some talk he was signing down here. Only really stepped back into AFL this year after seeing brother Dayne go so well and played a number of reserves (4) and senior games (6) for Labrador where his results were good for someone with such little recent footy – he wasn’t even on the roster at the start of the year and only asked for a game in May! After playing 6 senior games went back to the reserves so he could qualify for the reserves finals side and showcase his game a little more. He is a midfield type who from all reports plays like his brother in that he is tough at the contest, has good endurance, neat skills and finishes well in front of goals and ultimately could play a variety of positions around the flanks. Lions might see him as someone who they could grab late but given he tested well and shows a lot of promise they may take him here.

And Burgan was spot on in predicting he would be taken as a Qld zone selection (pick 76) in his phantom rookie draft.

Brisbane head recruiter Graeme Hadley

"Reignited his passion for football with his brother's (Collingwood's Dayne Beams) success. He's a multi-talented sort of a kid - he's an A-grade cricketer - but it just required his focus to go back into football, which he was able to do this year.

"His talent soon surfaced because from reserves footy at Labrador he was relatively quickly promoted to senior footy. Played half-back and a little bit in the midfield, mainly. He showed he's a lovely, lovely kick of the ball and he's a very good decision maker. And he's a one touch player."

Jarrod Field (Coach)

“He reminds me a lot of a young Ricky Petterd – whatever level he plays at he adjusts beautifully. His kicking is very good on both sides – he rarely misses a target – and he’s clean with his hands.

“He’s probably more advanced than Dayne was at the same time in terms of his kicking, and perhaps not quite as efficient with his hands. His courage is unquestioned. He stands his ground every time.

“I think he’s going to end up a midfielder and when we were getting smashed against (ladder leaders) Morningside we threw him onto the ball. We were under siege and he did really well against quality opposition. I like him and I can certainly seem him at an AFL club – the up side is enormous because he’s played so little football the last couple of years. And his attitude is outstanding,” said Field.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ould-claye-beams/story-e6frf9jf-1225812093241

Brisbane begins to mould Claye Beams

• Greg Davis
  • December 20, 2009 12:00AM

AFTER spending the best part of nine hours in a tattooist's chair, not much would intimidate new Lions recruit Claye Beams, you would think.
But Beams, 18, brother of Collingwood player Dayne, admits he was apprehensive when he attended his first Brisbane training session.
Beams -- who, like his older sibling, has arm-length tattoos -- was selected by the Lions with pick No.76 in last Tuesday's rookie draft.
"I was pretty nervous when I showed up (at training), with guys like Jonathan Brown and Brendan Fevola there," the Gold Coast product said.
"But they are all really good blokes and all came up and talked to us and made us feel welcome. They made it a hell of a lot easier to settle in.
"I had a meeting with the Lions and they got in touch with me after the national draft and said they were interested, so it was great to get picked up by the club."

Given that Claye's real name is Clayton, and also given that we passed up his bigger brother Dayne... would it be fair to say that Clayton is the Beams you have when you aren't having a Beams.

[/BlyndFreddie Mode]

Very b-F but I got an odd feeling that a younger generation will not have a clue as to the meaning of that one:D.

Lions Call Up Beams
Ben Case
February 13th, 2010

GOLD Coast rookie Claye Beams will make his debut for the Brisbane Lions tomorrow afternoon when they come up against the Western Bulldogs in Round 1 of the NAB Cup at Manuka Oval in Canberra.

Beams, who stands 183cm, was added to the 29-man squad to fly to Canberra after showing good decision-making and clean kicking skills in the backline during the Lions' pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back