Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Winning Clijsters comeback
From correspondents in Antwerp
February 16, 2005

FORMER world No.1 Kim Clijsters made a winning comeback in the first round of the Antwerp Open this morning (AEDT).

In her first outing since a serious wrist injury, Clijsters eased past Croatia's Jelena Kostanic 6-2 6-3.

Clijsters, who last played in early October when she retired in the second set of a match with Russia's Elena Bovina, produced superb form and moved freely as she sealed victory in an hour.

Dominating her 35th-ranked opponent from the baseline, the Belgian broke Kostanic in the first and fifth games before taking the opening set in 30 minutes.

She broke the Croatian's serve again in the third game of the second set before wrapping up the match with another break when Kostanic sent a forehand long on the first match point.

"I wanted to play again so badly and I am really surprised everything went so well," said Clijsters.

"Physically, I was 100 per cent and I did not have to hold back at all out there.

"My backhand is not yet technically perfect but it is getting better and better."

Clijsters, 21, reached last year's Australian Open final before sustaining wrist injuries which led to her pulling out midway through a tournament in Berlin in May.

She had surgery to remove a cyst on her left wrist - she is right-handed but has a two-handed backhand - in June before making an abortive comeback in Belgium in early October, her first tournament for five months.

The Belgian will meet fifth-seeded Russian Nadia Petrova in the second round. Petrova beat Spaniard Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-4 6-1 overnight.

Absolute great news. She had a rough year last year, but now shes back, hopefully stronger than ever ready to take the tour on :D

I bet he is some vaguely effeminate bloke with blonde streaks in his hair who would appear in Target catalogues if he lived here.

UNIT said:
I bet he is some vaguely effeminate bloke with blonde streaks in his hair who would appear in Target catalogues if he lived here.

Actually he's brunette, and a hottie (far better looking than Lleyton)

Mr X said:
Seriously, who cares?

Now she is no longer with Lleyton, any remote chance the majority of Australians had in her is gone.

Well I care, and I know a few other aussies that do to. Its just great after the year she had to be back on court.

And i do believe that she will get some support in Australia since she is a great person and a good sportswoman.

I've been a huge fan of Kim ever since seeing her for the first time as a 15 year old at the hopman cup. Hopefully she can regain the form that got her to number 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back