Coaching Footy Coaching ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

BigBadCam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2006
Glenroy, Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
I am coaching a group of 15/16 year olds and I have had them running around doing preseason for the last couple of months. We started in the gym and did a lot of sprints, agility work and strength training before moving everything out to the oval and introducing balls. As it turns out, the start of the season has been delayed and I need to change things up to keep them interested and keep them keen to come out at the start of the season and rip their opponents to shreds. Has anyone got any ideas for any unique and useful activities we could do, or any general ideas for helping kids this age to reach their potential?

Definately keep integrating balls as much as possible.

Also consider using conditioning drills that are competitive rather than repetitive. For example, split your team into groups of 8 and have them do 5-10 sets of 25-50m sprints in pairs as a race. Try and match each pair as evenly as possible. Next week split the pairs into groups of 6 so that the recovery time is reduced by 25%. The week after use groups of 4 so that recovery time is further reduced. That is just one example and a nice way to add some spice to interval work with progression over time.

Play a few scratch matches, do a few 1v1, 2v2 ect drills to give them a good feel for some competitive stuff. They will enjoy it and will benefit it:thumbsu:

If you do want to do more running still intergrate the balls like have a groups of 3 at each end and you work the ball to the other end going through a CHB and a CHF.

A good drill for building the fitness while also fun/competitive is:

teams 3v3 (or 2v2)

and basically have a person in the middle (yourself/injured player or someone helping out) to throw the ball, and its a 3v3 to get the ball back to the main person again... but as they get it back, basically kick/hit the ball away again a distance.

Basically its a drill that requires constant bursts of pace and teamwork to work the ball back to the middle man.. and obviously you keep this going a couple of times til you notice them getting knackered, or a set amount of time and switch/rest.

And obviously if you have large numbers, split up and make a couple of these drills...

Make the weakest kid fight all of his teammates, one by one, to help him harden up.

I laughed quite hard.

I have done competative work, we have kicked for goal, We run roughly 6 laps a night with a shuttle after the first two for a warm up, done some 150 meter sprints, done some tackeling drills and a few kicking drills where you have to give it and get on your bike to get another kick, done HEAPS of 3 man weave stuff emphasising on sheppardind... dont really know what more to do with them a week out of our first match? Any suggestions?

P.S. I am coaching under 12's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back