Coffee

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind a good Coffee. Got me through night shift all those years. The Mrs is a Coffee nut and got me onto it. I'm now like Scott Pendlebury. Enjoy chilling at home watching my NBA with my coffee machine.

I never drank coffee until I started in a Government job where drinking coffee is the first thing everyone in the office does.

I still can't tell the difference between instant and proper roasted beans but I can definitely taste when they burn the coffee.

I never drank coffee until I started in a Government job where drinking coffee is the first thing everyone in the office does.

I still can't tell the difference between instant and proper roasted beans but I can definitely taste when they burn the coffee.

Hey - instant are properly roasted too! Just really really dark and then freeze dried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that much worse than Vittoria or Lavazza, both of which are quite expensive for the quality I reckon.

It’s roasted in Sydney by a batch roaster - much fresher than lavazza/Vittoria. They actually buy decent green beans to start with

It’s roasted in Sydney by a batch roaster - much fresher than lavazza/Vittoria. They actually buy decent green beans to start with

The bags that I have said say roasted in Melbourne on them.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The bags that I have said say roasted in Melbourne on them.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Must have changed ... as long as they’re doing a good job that’s all that counts. Using fresh whole bean coffee and grinding it on demand beats instant/ore ground/pod by light years

My favourite coffee bean is actually Starbucks Guatemala Antigua Cocoa Spice, has a nice very subtle cocoa taste. Otherwise I drink Cofeex Scuro everyday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of weeks back I bought an aeropress and an electric grinder. Still getting used to it but it's a pretty simple system. I just find it doesn't make enough. I'm also a temperature wuss so I end up having to add plenty of water to it and I'm sure that just dilutes the flavour.

A couple of weeks back I bought an aeropress and an electric grinder. Still getting used to it but it's a pretty simple system. I just find it doesn't make enough. I'm also a temperature wuss so I end up having to add plenty of water to it and I'm sure that just dilutes the flavour.

Try for a ratio of 12g it coffee to 200g hot water brewed for 90sec. If it’s too weak, add another gram of coffee, if you want more beverage add another gram coffee and 20g water

Last edited:
Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable coffee grinder? (electric or manual, doesn't matter)

Hoping to spend no more than $100, if possible.

Whatever you spend on a manual grinder, it will be as good as an electric grinder 5 times the price.

I’ve got a Helor 101 and it’s worth every cent that I paid for it - you’ll have it for life. The parts are first class and it’s Australian made

I’d seriously just pony up for one, and never look back

https://helor-coffee.com/buy-now/101

Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable coffee grinder? (electric or manual, doesn't matter)

Hoping to spend no more than $100, if possible.
Any electric grinder you'll get for under $100 will be rubbish, so I'd probably stick with a manual. For that price, you can't go wrong with the Hario Skerton Ceramic:

https://www.homegrounds.co/hario-skerton-hand-grinder-review/

I'd actually discourage someone from buying a more expensive manual grinder - the bang-for-your-buck from the Hario is exceptional.

Last edited:
Any electric grinder you'll get for under $100 will be rubbish, so I'd probably stick with a manual. For that price, you can't go wrong with the Hario Skerton Ceramic:

I'd actually discourage someone from buying a more expensive manual grinder - the bang-for-your-buck from the Hario is exceptional.
That's actually what I went with.

A friend who's a bit of a coffee snob advised I get that as it's as good of a bang for my buck as I could get.

Totally disagree

The mechanism which holds the burrs in the Hario Skerton has no stabiliser in the grind chamber. You get a s**t load of dust (fine coffee) and a s**t load of boulders (big grinds). Uneven grinding leads to a mixture of over and under extracted coffee - you can 100% tell the difference.

Take it from a guy with 10 years industry experience in speciality coffee

Yeah, nah. The grind consistency is fine for all practical purposes.

The fact you can spend 3-4 times the price to get a fancy stabilised hand grinder that does it better doesn't mean it's a sensible idea. There are plenty of better places to spend that money if you want to improve the quality of your home coffee.

For most people? Lessons.

Telling your average home coffee maker that they need to obsess to the nth degree over grind consistency is like saying MAMILs should fret over which carbon fibre rims will save them 100g.

Don't tell people they need to spend a fortune on unnecessary equipment.

For most people? Lessons.

Telling your average home coffee maker that they need to obsess to the nth degree over grind consistency is like saying MAMILs should fret over which carbon fibre rims will save them 100g.

Don't tell people they need to spend a fortune on unnecessary equipment.

I can give you a lesson in 10 seconds. Chuck 15g or coffee in your aeropress, 200g hot water, give it a stir and push out after 80 seconds

The question was about grinders. If you’re going to spend 100 on a grinder that is flimsy and you’ll want to upgrade once you learn more, just spend another $100 and have one that will last you forever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back