News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. How do they approach this? Is it VFL players making up the numbers? Doesn't really say much about it in the AFL article.
I don't think this will happen, but clubs could alternate between sitting out of having a team play in a scratch match and their players would be fill ins, making up the numbers in other scratch matches.

Anyone who still responds with "All Lives Matter" to the s**t that's going on now is being purposefully inflammatory and ignorant to the issue. A number of years ago I used to be someone who agreed with the cries of All Lives Matter until someone respectfully explained to me that really the point is that "Black Lives Matter too."

The Venn diagram of people who still insist on saying it and the people who use the comment sections of online News Corp articles is a circle.
I agree with your point, but at the same time I find it irritating that we've attached ourselves to an American civil rights movement and slogan that represents one group in America, a group whose treatment is s**t, but pales in comparison to some of the atrocities that occur within our region. Whilst it's a worthy slogan for indigenous Australians, most are marching from what they think is a more global perspective, but the slogan does not represent a global perspective.

I agree with your point, but at the same time I find it irritating that we've attached ourselves to an American civil rights movement and slogan that represents one group in America, a group whose treatment is s**t, but pales in comparison to some of the atrocities that occur within our region. Whilst it's a worthy slogan for indigenous Australians, most are marching from what they think is a more global perspective, but the slogan does not represent a global perspective.

I've had some similar misgivings. I suppose that there is a momentum, too hard to ignore, but it's not unreasonable to think that some of the particularities of Indigenous-European issues will get a bit lost under the BLM banner.

I've had some similar misgivings. I suppose that there is a momentum, too hard to ignore, but it's not unreasonable to think that some of the particularities of Indigenous-European issues will get a bit lost under the BLM banner.
I agree with that, but I view the indigenous issues as just one of the issues for many Aussie marchers, who are fabulously marching against a more wide range of discrimination. For me, as an Asian based Aussie expat, I like to think that the protests also encompass the many ethnic groups within Asia, who are discriminated against for differences that don't include skin colour, in many cases discriminated against far more harshly than the blacks in America or Australia. .

It shits me that Australia is still so America/Euro centred that eeven our civil rights protests seem to value the discrimination and lives in those cultures more highly than those in other parts of the world. If BLM in Australia was just about the indigenous, it would be a fabulous slogan and movement, but many connected to it view it as a more global ideal, at which point it becomes a really narrow and somewhat ignorant slogan.

Last edited:
I don't think this will happen, but clubs could alternate between sitting out of having a team play in a scratch match and their players would be fill ins, making up the numbers in other scratch matches.

Yeah I did think they could probably have a Collingwood Demons vs. Richmond Kangaroos type game but then you'd potentially have positional conflict.

Prime example is that we'd want Lynch/Cameron to practice ruck whereas Melbourne would want Pruess to do the same.

Anyway, see what happens! Might just be reduced numbers, no wings, etc.

I agree with that, but I view the indigenous issues as just one of the issues for many Aussie marchers, who are fabulously marching against a more wide range of discrimination. For me, as an Asian based Aussie expat, I like to think that the protests also encompass the many ethnic groups within Asia, who are discriminated against for differences that don't include skin colour, in many cases discriminated against far more harshly than the blacks in America or Australia. .

It shits me that Australia is still so America/Euro centred that eeven our civil rights protests seem to value the discrimination and lives in those cultures more highly than those in other parts of the world. If BLM in Australia was just about the indigenous, it would be a fabulous slogan and movement, but many connected to it view it as a more global ideal, at which point it becomes a really narrow and somewhat ignorant slogan.

The question is what is the change that they marching for? Legislative change? I dont know what the purpose is. To highlight a problem? You have to be blind not to have seen it when Martin Luther King was marching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yawn, Buckley already addressed this in 2017.
Not one single teammate black or white during his tenure has come out and said this nickname is true, until one does I have no reason to believe any of it

Heriter just want's Attention.

He came out with this Story when he 1st Left

CFC has a rich history of racism.
Check our player list over the decades and see just how long it took us to embrace the indigenous players.
The terraces of Vic Park was full of it.
This is not something to be proud of, but it is something that we can address now.
The club, and hopefully we the supporter base, have embraced all races, minorities and gender diversity in the modern era.
If Heritier has an ongoing issue with CFC then we need to do something bout it.
Just sitting back saying it has been dealt with is a failing policy.
Take some leadership Ed and get this resolved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back