Collingwood v Western Bulldogs: Prongs and Grundys. AFL Round 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Coll-vs-Bulldogs.png

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=358921

Where and when: MCG, Friday April 12, 7.50pm AEST

Last time they met: Docklands Stadium (now Marvel Stadium), round 10, 2018: Collingwood 13.12 (90) defeated Western Bulldogs 8.7 (55)

The Dogs scooted to a 26-point lead early in the second term and were still 18 points clear at half-time before the Pies piled on 8.9 to just 0.4 to climb into the eight, and that's where they stayed. Adam Treloar was best-afield with 40 touches and two goals.

jay-z-mobile.jpg
99 Problems but my Tips ain't one... Unless I forget to tip round 4

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

Kayo_logo_Stream_More_vertical_black_text-100h.png
Stream live to any device

What it means for Collingwood: After being beaten by both Geelong and West Coast, the 1-2 Pies need to regain some equilibrium.

What it means for the Western Bulldogs: The Dogs unexpectedly dropped their game to Gold Coast so they need to get one back, and there are few bigger scalps than Collingwood at the MCG.

AFL.com.au - https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/4/coll-v-wb

How Collingwood wins: The Pies' multi-pronged attack, which features Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Mason Cox and Jaidyn Stephenson, should prove too hot to handle for the Dogs. Brodie Grundy should also dominate the ruck.

How the Western Bulldogs win: Consign the much-vaunted Magpie midfield to a third defeat in four games and that also means limiting Grundy's influence.

The stat: The Pies have won just one of their past four games at the MCG. They have also succumbed to the Dogs in their past two clashes on the hallowed turf.

The match-up: Scott Pendlebury v Jack Macrae

When Dogs midfielder Macrae (ranked No.19 in the Official AFL Player Ratings) was drafted he was likened to Pies skipper Pendlebury (No.25), whom he has probably gone past in recent times.

It's a big week for: Jordan Roughead

The Bulldogs' 2016 premiership big man is thriving in his first season at Collingwood, where he is highly valued for his leadership, cool head and flexibility. In his first game against his old club he will match up on one of the Dogs' rising stars in Aaron Naughton or Josh Schache.

Big call: The game's shortest player, Bulldog Caleb Daniel, to find himself in another unenviable aerial contest in the goalsquare, this time opposed to the game's tallest player, Magpie Mason Cox.
Prediction: Magpies by 29 points
More By Ben Collins
https://twitter.com/bencollocollins

COLLINGWOOD
B Brayden Maynard, Jordan Roughead, Jeremy Howe
HB Jack Crisp, Darcy Moore, James Aish
C Chris Mayne, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips
HF Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Steele Sidebottom
F Taylor Adams, Brody Mihocek, Jordan De Goey
FOL Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Adam Treloar
I/C Jamie Elliott, Travis Varcoe, Tom Langdon, Jaidyn Stephenson

EMG Flynn Appleby, Ben Crocker, Levi Greenwood, Callum L. Brown
IN Travis Varcoe
OUT Levi Greenwood (Omitted)
MILESTONES: Chris Mayne - Playing 200th game

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B Taylor Duryea, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
HB Caleb Daniel, Easton Wood, Matthew Suckling
C Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore, Josh Dunkley
HF Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Mitch Wallis
F Toby McLean, Aaron Naughton, Tory Dickson
FOL Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
I/C Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Sam Lloyd, Jason Johannisen

EMG Jackson Trengove, Patrick Lipinski, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith
IN Jason Johannisen
OUT Lewis Young (Omitted)
MILESTONES: Tory Dickson - Playing 100th game

Last edited:
Hmmmm

Pies lost to the side setting the standard in the comp last week. Lost week one to the side that is flying out of the blocks this season.

The Bulldogs lost to the Suns last week. They beat the Hawks and the Swans previously, and you'd have to say the Swans dont look hard this year.

As always in the eariy rounds every week reveals a bit more about the pecking order. This week a dominant win to the Pies is very probable.

Hard to see pies losing this, they are playing pretty well.
Though I'll tip Dogs to scrape in, in hope.

Pretty confident that guy in the helmet who plays at CHB for us can take down Mason Cox.

Collingwood 291
Footscray 285

Ron McKeown will win it with a goal after the siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only came in here to see if the obsession was true, it really is :$

I'd be a bit more confident if we had someone to make life a bit harder for Grundy, but it's gonna be hard. The midfield is backed in to shark opponent taps, but that's not much good with how dominant he can be against weaker rucks as I'm sure he's going to be palming them down right into the hands of the likes of Treloar & Sidebottom. Or just taking it out of the ruck & booting it 50m forward out of the middle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back