Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be an unpopular view on here, but never seeing a win over these past 3 years plus the current economy makes attending a game not that very appealing, especially when $30 a month gives you a Live Feed in HD.

There are better ways to spend your energy, effort and discretionary cash on when losing has become habitual.

Now I know there will be people frowning at this post, but the reality is that most North supporters I know up this way rarely make the effort

Some are paid up members, others have lapsed. Biggest sigh is the simple cost of between $100-$200 per game to venture down as a single, couple or family.

I’m sure that as performances start to improve over the next 2 years and we start to push for a Final, supporters and country fans will attend more games with the excitement and enjoyment and optimism of winning a game occurring

How’s this campaigner 😂

Is it correct?

No

Is it going to be the narrative of the sooks on Premiership 5 night?

Absolutely

Last edited:
The afl covers up players drug use because if caught on game day, they'd be suspended for months/years.
Take drugs during the week- fake a 1 week hammy or half until its out of the system.
Makes you wonder how many of those 'rumours' were true over the last few years.

Don't be fooled, if you give 18-25yr olds in peak physical condition $1000s every week, they'll be spending it somewhere.
People who are constantly on an adreline high need to get a fix somewhere.

Adrenaline is down at Gumbuya Park these days

Is it just me or is the Goodwin cocaine abuse part of Wilkie's allegations being overlooked deliberately by the media?
The allegations where the AFL CEO knew about it, did nothing, and helped oust the club president?

Nah AFL journos would never forget to ask about that.

Not sure how "the best centre square engine room in the AFL last year" managed to put together a 20-game losing streak...
Pretty sure Brown didn't say that. Think he said that he thought LD was the best centre square player in the AFL, which is not unreasonable

The allegations where the AFL CEO knew about it, did nothing, and helped oust the club president?

Nah AFL journos would never forget to ask about that.
The implication that the AFL CEO helped to oust a club president shortly after he proposed that all AFL executives do mandatory drug tests? I imagine it was the very next question that all of them were going to ask. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the Goodwin cocaine abuse part of Wilkie's allegations being overlooked deliberately by the media?
Nothing to see here. He never sent some vague aggressive text to his partner so it’s not warranting of a suspension. The AFL can only be the moral police for certain issues not all of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick speaks very well, I do think he should be our Captain.

As for Imogen, what a cute, brave young Shinboner she is, she reminds me a little of my daughter who had a serious back injury after a bike accident when she was six, she required three surgeries and spent around twelve months in a back brace, but she continued to be upbeat and happy even when those around her weren't at their happiest. I hope she recovers and can have a long and happy life, and maybe her footy club can give her some joy as well, starting with a surprise win the Good Friday." :)

I just can't get up in arms about recreational drug use, I'm sorry. It's so normal, it's way too demonised (no pun intended), I don't think this can be compared to actions like the * Supplements saga where an organisation set out to achieve an unfair advantage through a secret injection program. I don't know if I can see it as immoral for the club to say "hey, it'll destroy these guys' lives way more to receive a long term suspension and have their names dragged through the media than if we just try to give them support behind the scenes, it might be better to just rule them out for a game and deal with the matter privately." And it kind of seems like that's what this was.

Last edited:
I just can't get up in arms about recreational drug use, I'm sorry. It's so normal, it's way too demonised (no pun intended), I don't think this can be compared to actions like the * Supplements saga where an organisation set out to achieve an unfair advantage through a secret injection program. I don't know if I can see it as immoral for the club to say "hey, it'll destroy these guys' lives way more to receive a long term suspension and have their names dragged through the media than if we just try to give them support behind the scenes, it might be better to just rule them out for a game and deal with the matter privately. And it kind of seems like that's what this was.
100% agree.

It will be an unpopular view on here, but never seeing a win over these past 3 years plus the current economy makes attending a game not that very appealing, especially when $30 a month gives you a Live Feed in HD.

There are better ways to spend your energy, effort and discretionary cash on when losing has become habitual.

Now I know there will be people frowning at this post, but the reality is that most North supporters I know up this way rarely make the effort

Some are paid up members, others have lapsed. Biggest sigh is the simple cost of between $100-$200 per game to venture down as a single, couple or family.

I’m sure that as performances start to improve over the next 2 years and we start to push for a Final, supporters and country fans will attend more games with the excitement and enjoyment and optimism of winning a game occurring

Is it correct?

No

Is it going to be the narrative of the sooks on Premiership 5 night?

Absolutely
Not a shinboner

Nothing to see here. He never sent some vague aggressive text to his partner so it’s not warranting of a suspension. The AFL can only be the moral police for certain issues not all of them
Tarryn Thomas is irrelevant to this situation. The entire club is accepting of the decision to let him go for the reasons that they are all well aware. You need to reconcile with the fact that his punishment was warranted by his behaviour.

oI just can't get up in arms about recreational drug use, I'm sorry. It's so normal, it's way too demonised (no pun intended), I don't think this can be compared to actions like the * Supplements saga where an organisation set out to achieve an unfair advantage through a secret injection program. I don't know if I can see it as immoral for the club to say "hey, it'll destroy these guys' lives way more to receive a long term suspension and have their names dragged through the media than if we just try to give them support behind the scenes, it might be better to just rule them out for a game and deal with the matter privately." And it kind of seems like that's what this was.
I kinda understand this point of view, but I disagree with it. I'm not convinced that it's actually as "normal" as some people say it is, but it is definitely still illegal. It's not up to the AFL to decide which of the laws of the Commonwealth of Australia should be enforced and which ones can be worked around for the benefit of the look of the game. If I speed and I get caught, I know I've broken the law and I accept the consequences. I might not like the positioning of the speed camera, but I know it wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't been speeding. It's called accepting the consequences of your actions. If a footballer getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to play football willingly breaks the law and the AFL helps them to hide it from their employer, that's outrageous.

The problem with lying is it tends to get messy. What treatment does the medical team give the player who suffered a late "ankle injury" before the game. Do they strap it up or is it straight into the moonboot?
How long does the charade continue?

I kinda understand this point of view, but I disagree with it. I'm not convinced that it's actually as "normal" as some people say it is, but it is definitely still illegal. It's not up to the AFL to decide which of the laws of the Commonwealth of Australia should be enforced and which ones can be worked around for the benefit of the look of the game. If I speed and I get caught, I know I've broken the law and I accept the consequences. I might not like the positioning of the speed camera, but I know it wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't been speeding. It's called accepting the consequences of your actions. If a footballer getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to play football willingly breaks the law and the AFL helps them to hide it from their employer, that's outrageous.
Likewise, I understand this point of view but I disagree with it. The AFL is essentially allowing players to maintain confidentiality between themselves and their doctor. These results are kept private if the player voluntarily seeks medical treatment, which includes testing for illicit drugs. The players deserve the same right to privacy that all people seeking medical treatment deserve i.e doctor/patient confidentiality. Surely no-one would ever suggest doctors should report to the police any patient found to have consumed illicit drugs.

Change the *en law then ... ffs.

Cocaine is expensive because its illegal and as a result drug cartels build their own coms and transport infrastructure (ie their own mobile towers and networks, build airfields and even submarines) and pay off people, creating corruption, destroying lives and all sorts of nasty s**t. Its cheap as * to make and there's a plant that grows in Australia that has the alkaloid in it so why does all this money go to some of the worst people on earth?

That said - you're professional athletes boys. Do it in the off season or if you really have to, after the game, not in the days before it. JFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back