Rumour Commission discussing "Tasmanian Devils"

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously its easy to say when it's not your clubs....but purely from a branding perspective:
- Move Melbourne to Tassie - for the Tassie Devils - same jumper, ties to Melbourne historically etc etc
- Make the Kangaroos the Melbourne Kangaroos - they stopped tieing themselves to north in the 00s...and no-one really noticed (whilst they have tried to reinstate this....I dont think anyone really cares).

Do you think the Tasmanian public would support a discarded team from Victoria?. I mean it took the Swans 30 years to get much traction in Sydney
Exactly.

Dump a Victorian club in a state where much of the population already has strong allegiances to an existing AFL club.

A sure fire way to attract support. :rolleyes:

As a Tasmanian, I'd buy a membership in a proper Tasmanian AFL club, but never with a Victorian club playing out of there.

Exactly.

Dump a Victorian club in a state where much of the population already has strong allegiances to an existing AFL club.

As a Tasmanian, I'd buy a membership in a proper Tasmanian AFL club, but never with a Victorian club playing out of there.

It is in the Rumour section after all, but I hope the marketing fools at AFL house show some brains for once. Give us our own team. Show the football community & the state in general some bloody respect for a change. Otherwise it will fail.

Exactly.

It would be interesting to see a new club getting started in Tassie, but isnt there some kind of rivalry/feud between north and south Tassie that has stopped previous attempts?

It would be interesting to see a new club getting started in Tassie, but isnt there some kind of rivalry/feud between north and south Tassie that has stopped previous attempts?
Madmug could give you a better update on that side of things.

But with two AFL standard stadia in Tassie now, you could base the side in Hobart, and evenly split the games between Hobart (to service the south) and Launceston (to service the North/North-West).

Do you think the Tasmanian public would support a discarded team from Victoria?. I mean it took the Swans 30 years to get much traction in Sydney

Nope not a chance unless the relocated club decided to junk their history and their current members to embrace Tasmania, and that's not going to happen. My belief is any team from Tasmania would have to be home grown.

Strangely I went to the North v Hawks game in Launceston the year before North's Tasmanian games were announced and the inland Hwy was almost bumper to bumper after the game with cars heading south.

Madmug could give you a better update on that side of things.

But with two AFL standard stadia in Tassie now, you could base the side in Hobart, and evenly split the games between Hobart (to service the south) and Launceston (to service the North/North-West).
Thanks. 19 teams in the comp is going to mean more byes and interrupted fixtures. Although, Tasmania is real Aussie Rules country so an AFL club there is a long time coming. I hope it happens!

Their has never been an attempt at a Tassie AFL team that has been stopped by any north/south angst. The Devils VFL team was pulled by AFLTas, that was after they amalgamated it with North Melbourne. They got better support when they were a stand alone club. But thats another story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moreso in the past. Nearly non-existant now. The Hobart Hurricanes in the BBL has huge support from up North. All they'd have to do it split the home games 50/50.

Never gunna happen (not in the next couple of decades anyway)

The longer it takes, the less likely it is to happen at all.

Population and economy in Tas is already marginal for supporting a club and (in relative terms) is getting smaller.

Thinking outside the square, Gillan has stated he wants the most even fixture possible, that being each team playing each other once. He has also staed that he didnt exactly enjoy the byes being over 3 rounds. So....

Could we just add a Tassie club to the comp, a club has a bye each week (which gets rid of the stupid 3 rounds of byes scenario), season would consist of 19 rounds (18 games and 1 bye each) you could also then potentially throw back in a State of Origin or Allstar game whatever concept is easier to get off the ground which would give most players 2 byes as they have been asking for. Straight away you have a fairer draw, 20 week season (plus finals) which is only a couple shorther than what we have now...

Apart from Tasmania, what would be the next location the AFL would look to for a possible expansion? Is there anywhere left to expand to after Tasmania that would be worthwhile?

Obviously its easy to say when it's not your clubs....but purely from a branding perspective:
- Move Melbourne to Tassie - for the Tassie Devils - same jumper, ties to Melbourne historically etc etc
- Make the Kangaroos the Melbourne Kangaroos - they stopped tieing themselves to north in the 00s...and no-one really noticed (whilst they have tried to reinstate this....I dont think anyone really cares).
Why would you relocate a club with the "melbourne" name and then hand that name over to another club. That makes absolutely no sense.

Why would you relocate a club with the "melbourne" name and then hand that name over to another club. That makes absolutely no sense.
Devils - Demons branding makes sense

Giving north the title of Melbourne Kangaroos might help them attract people new to the game in melbourne.

I would have thought it would be best to start a new team in Tassie, but theres arguably not enough talent for 18 elite teams, let alone 19 or 20. So youve got two options if you want a Tassie devils:
- Relocation of a team
- Merge 2 teams and create a new one

I'd be happy for none of this to come to fruition and stick with our current arrangement of 2 teams playing there as sattelite home grounds:
- Would be good to have the Hobart-Hawthorn Hawks and the North Kangaroos (being both north melbourne, and also north tasmania with home games in launceston).

Thinking outside the square, Gillan has stated he wants the most even fixture possible, that being each team playing each other once. He has also staed that he didnt exactly enjoy the byes being over 3 rounds. So....

Could we just add a Tassie club to the comp, a club has a bye each week (which gets rid of the stupid 3 rounds of byes scenario), season would consist of 19 rounds (18 games and 1 bye each) you could also then potentially throw back in a State of Origin or Allstar game whatever concept is easier to get off the ground which would give most players 2 byes as they have been asking for. Straight away you have a fairer draw, 20 week season (plus finals) which is only a couple shorther than what we have now...

Going well until the soo mention but well just ignore that

Funny how we had to get two new clubs at once so there would be nine games a round and no byes, meaning some confusion at the end of weekends when teams had different numbers of games played.

But how confusing is that compared to what we have now, teams at the top with so many games remaining but differing levels of difficulty, with the play five teams twice thing. Im not sure its that much better

So 19 teams would mean 18 games per team, presumably rotating home and away over two years which would still be not ideal but it would be fairer. The week of the h and a would be an issue, as one team would still have a bye. But presumably that could be tassie for a few years.

There would be an impact in that the derby type games would only occur once per year, and in wa sa which teams fans would get the tickets ?

19 teams 9 home games would be 171 games instead of 18 teams 11 home games being 198
On that ten games shifted to tassie less the six now so a net gain to tassie from melbourne of just 3 games. (5 if a victorian club relocated with the current 11 home games)

Four games, but you would get three of hawthorn carlton collingwood essendon richmond st kilda visiting each year meaning three of the extra games would be a big financial windfall for the state. The other games would be smaller or distant clubs, much as now. Youd imagine with two less home games the hawks would not continue to have home games in tassie, maybe a pre season one would remain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back