compromise rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr T see my reply to your post on the "Other" board. Micky O'Loughlin was in the tour to Dublin and starred in he second test (got a head knock in the first) - he was one of the aboriginal players. Apparently it was a bit of a personal journey for him too - finding out about his Irish grandfather etc.

Compromise rules is good, it's exciting and fast and it's a good compromise between the sports of Australian and Gaelic Football, enhancing the positive features of both codes.
I'd also like to see one day Irishmen playing Australia in Australian Rules and the Aussies play Ireland in Gaelic Football, it'd be interesting to see the results if this occurred.
But, I'm a fan of the Compromise Rules Football, I probably haven't got into it as much as the Australian Football yet, but it's good to watch.

good to see kennelly doing well out there, i cannot understand why aussie rules teams do not send scouts to ireland, gaelic football is an amateur game so the players do not get paid. most of them would jump @ the chance to be play professionally

Mr T

Aussie Rules has fraternised with Gaelic Football off and on since the 1960's.

A few Irish players have been recruited to the Australian Game, most notably in the 80's when Melbourne actively recruited several Gaelic footballers who went on to have glorious careers in the AFL. Unfortunately, changes in the migration regulations in the late 80's brought a very promising program to a premature end.

Things are again looking up in recent times, The Swans drafted Tagh Kenelley two seasons ago and the Western Bulldogs also have a couple of Irish players on their list as well.

Composite Rules is what is constantly driving the two games together, Squads of Under 19 Irish footballers come down here and play Composite Rules and we return the favour. A feature of thes e tours are training camps where the Irish and Australian players can get together and show AFL scouts what they are made of. Its a great concept and can only lead to more Irish players taking the plunge and trying the Ausssie Game.

Also, I do honestly believe that Composite Rules and the Irish desire to match it with Australia will see the Irish game gradually but steadily become more and more professional in years to come.

cheers

I checked out the new GAA website y'day...it's very good, certainly an improvement on the previous amateur looking site. Interesting to see the recent but rapid growth of Gaelic in Europe and elsewhere. As per the recent small but again exponential growth of footy overseas ... both sports can do well this century. They offer an extra dimension than soccer can, and aren't as dangerous to play as the Rugbys and American Football.

The cooperation is to both codes advantage and is working in places like the USA and Canada.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back