Remove this Banner Ad

Crock

All Australian
Oct 22, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello Comrades
Was lucky enough to score a Coolabah gas smoker for Christmas.
Albeit it’s only a cheap one from Aldi, but I’m still looking forward to trying it out.

Got some pork and lamb ribs as well as a pork shank, chicken and other bits and pieces.

Problem is instruction on use is the bare minimum.

It only provides a chart advising the temperature required for the various types of meat to be cooked “rare, medium and well done”.
No indication of weights, times, different effects by placing meat on different shelves (3) etc.
I’m assuming different types of meat can be put into the smoker together but would require different cooking times and maybe heat.
Are veggies ok in a smoker?

I’ve got a webber which can be used to provide a smoky flavour to meat, (chicken is absolutely magnificent) but the primary method of cooking is via the heat beads.
I’m guessing the Coolabah still uses heat to cook but probably uses that in combination with the smoke.

I can envisage many a ruined dinner trying to perfect its use by trail and error.

Just wondering what experience others might have with these contraptions.

Cheers

Let us know how you go :D

Well.....tried some pork ribs in the smoker last night.
Came out edible and no one died!.
In fact everyone said they were a bit hot but supurb!!!!

Think I use about 3 times as much cayene pepper in the rub than I should have.

Burning ring of fire this morning!!!!

Gotta now try it again with a bit less cayene pepper.

Cheers

I have a hot smoker and used it many times over the years. A few pointers.

- It works much like a steamer which is a fast cook, so most things will cook in say half the time of an oven for example.
- Soak the wood chips well before use
- If you have room put the chips at the opposite end of the food that is being cooked.
- Experiment with the chips, adding things like tea and spices work well.

Go to bbqpitboys.com. You cant go wrong and it'll give you everything you need with recipes etc..
The St Louis rib rub is excellent especially if you do some pulled pork.

Case closed.

Bought one of these on Gumtree last week. Used it on the weekend.

2kg Topside roast, Texas BBQ rub, 5 hours in the smoker.
smoker 3.jpg smoker 2.jpg smoker  1.jpg

If you love you slow cooking and smoking Keilor continental butcher have a great range of dry rub and smoking options . Huge range of cuts of meat as well and normally have a weekly special they bring in

Well worth a look on their website or FB page

If you love you slow cooking and smoking Keilor continental butcher have a great range of dry rub and smoking options . Huge range of cuts of meat as well and normally have a weekly special they bring in

Well worth a look on their website or FB page

Looks brilliant, unfortunately on the wrong side of town for me!

I have a Hark gas smoker but yet to set it up & try it. Three things I know is:
1. Wood chunks are better than chips because they will last longer but more importantly give off tasty blue smoke instead of clouds of bitter white smoke.
2. Get a good thermometer probe and base your cooks off internal meat temperature not time.
3. Rest your meat appropriately to allow it to re-absorb it's own cooking juices.

Check out the Facebook group "Australian Low & Slow BBQ'ers" for a really friendly community full of tips & tricks.

1. Wood chunks are better than chips because they will last longer but more importantly give off tasty blue smoke instead of clouds of bitter white smoke.

You can buy Hickory and Mesquite from various stores however dry wood from any fruit tree (apple, peach etc) produces a softer, pleasant smelling smoke.
Also some people suggest soaking the wood chunks for an hour or so beforehand.

(not sure how smoke can be "softer" but when you try it you'll see what I mean!)

You can buy Hickory and Mesquite from various stores however dry wood from any fruit tree (apple, peach etc) produces a softer, pleasant smelling smoke.
Also some people suggest soaking the wood chunks for an hour or so beforehand.

(not sure how smoke can be "softer" but when you try it you'll see what I mean!)
Soaking wood scientific analysis.
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-soak-your-wood-first

Tldr: don't waste your time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back