Cordy???

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Obviously all the hype is about King Tutt but I didn't get a chance to see the game and just wondering how Ayce went on debut? Did he win any one-on-one contests or take any good marks? Looks like we got done in the hit-outs so obviously he didn't spend much time rucking.

Didn't win any one on one's is clearly not ready as I have said before on this board.
I actually worry for him. He will never be a CHB and they should stop with this stupid idea right away. He would get blown away by a decent forward for pace and strenght.

Cordy best option is to be a mobile, athelictic ruckman yet he is a year away from that in strenght terms and experience. They should give him a free rein to roam as a ruckman, like Cox and see what he can do. Ruck/resting forward but not a backman. Needs more time

had some nice interception marks but he got pushed out of contests like a rag doll, pretty good at ground level for a big man. He looks 85kg in that game god knows how he can be 100kg+; needs put on lots of muscle, Halls guns are 2 times the size of his which is actually exponentially bigger in area and volume since they scale to the power of 2 and 3.

I thought he was meant to be real athletic and fast? why are people saying hes slow lol.

I think were all being too harsh on him, first game and he is EXTREMELY highly rated, most people who have seen him play think hes better than Roughead, so he will get there eventually!

He had a reasonable first game i thought. He didn't make any silly mistakes which was pleasing.

I'm just worried about next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cordy is a gun cant wait till he fully develops

And thats the problem. Realisticaly he is a year off being ready, he hasnt been able to string more than four games together at any one time at VFL level yet. Looks to be good but just not developed enough yet.

Why?? Been there done that with Minson, time to give next generation a go.

Minson will be at Port or Richmond next year.
Port have no need for Will with Lobbe's emergence.

Will wind up at GWS or Richmond.. or even more likely, stay at the Kennel. Getting rid of Minson would leave us with 1 young inexperienced injury prone ruckman in Roughead, 1 underdone and inexperienced semi ruckman / key defender in Cordy, and 1 rookie who hasn't got a go in Willi reserves.

Silly idea

I thought he did ok actually. He played mostly at CHB and held his own, got some ball through the middle a few times and used it well.

First game and lots of development to come. It's great he's getting some games before pre season.

People have high expectations and that will see him marked a lot harder than others in their early going. But just remember he's 200cm tall and agile, is a ruckman, but he's playing mostly CHB. Not bad to have those strings to your bow. Not sure Nic Nat, Vickery, Goldstein and so on would be that comfortable at CHB.

Sure he'd currently struggle against the real top line CHF perhaps, but then Dale Morris does at times too. We need to settle down the expectation and be patient.

I don't have high expectations of him. I actually believe he has a difficult and uphill battle to make it as a AFL footballer, mainly due to his skinny frame which will only ever bulk up a little. I hope so yet it will be a slow process.

As for the poster saying he is rated higher than Roughead. Erh well not at the moment. Mind you Roughead has a long way to go as a tap ruckman. We were killed in the hit outs.

As for Big Will. He is 26, he is at the age were big men start to dominate or play their best footy at least. Been is good form at Willy all year.

Should be given the last two games as number 1 ruck and given next year the number 1 ruck role, with Roughie providing relief and another forward option.

Will is our best tap ruckman, works the best with our on-ballers and fact is he is the best option. Still makes mistakes yet I woud go with him. Would have done as good if not better than Hudson has done this year. Very short cited playing Hudson all year.

I don't have high expectations of him. I actually believe he has a difficult and uphill battle to make it as a AFL footballer, mainly due to his skinny frame which will only ever bulk up a little. I hope so yet it will be a slow process.

As for the poster saying he is rated higher than Roughead. Erh well not at the moment. Mind you Roughead has a long way to go as a tap ruckman. We were killed in the hit outs.

As for Big Will. He is 26, he is at the age were big men start to dominate or play their best footy at least. Been is good form at Willy all year.

Should be given the last two games as number 1 ruck and given next year the number 1 ruck role, with Roughie providing relief and another forward option.

Will is our best tap ruckman, works the best with our on-ballers and fact is he is the best option. Still makes mistakes yet I woud go with him. Would have done as good if not better than Hudson has done this year. Very short cited playing Hudson all year.
Agree with the Minson and Hudson points. I don't understand why Will has only played one or two games this year

Agree.. it will be one of my lasting impressions of Eade.. while he blooded many players, i got the impression he had his favourites and stood by them too much this year.. clearly Will wasn't one of them.

Hopefully Big Will gets his chance to be number 1 next year. He works very well with our midfield.

As for Cordy, I thought he looked good. He is VERY smooth when he has the ball and made good choices with his disposal. Made a contest for the most part, which is promising. With time his body will mature and he will become stronger. I don't think massive amounts of bulk is the answer for him as he is not that kind of player, but gaining strength while his body matures will definitely be a plus.

Hopefully Big Will gets his chance to be number 1 next year. He works very well with our midfield.

As for Cordy, I thought he looked good. He is VERY smooth when he has the ball and made good choices with his disposal. Made a contest for the most part, which is promising. With time his body will mature and he will become stronger. I don't think massive amounts of bulk is the answer for him as he is not that kind of player, but gaining strength while his body matures will definitely be a plus.
Fletcher never needed bulk

He won very few one on ones, but given his experience and lack of strength at the moment it's completely understandable.

That aside, his movement was silky smooth, definitely has footy smarts and his ability to get low and coordinate has gangly limbs was impressive.

With another pre season, I see him becoming a very useful player. Not convinced the backline is for him. With some more strength and a bigger tank, a roaming ruck role ala Cox could be his go. Along with Roughy, I believe they'll become a formidable duo.

The Minson issue is a big one. On one hand, he probably offers more than Roughie and Cordy next year. On the other, it's unfair to keep him if there's an opportunity for him to be a regular player at another club and we plan to give the other two priority. The other point is that right now he may have some value and clubs are known for paying overs for ruckman. In a year he'll have no value and will be out of contract.

I'd see what we could get for him and, if something good is offered and he wants to go, then trade him and take another budding ruckman, perhaps from the VFL, as a rookie. We could also offer Hudson a one year deal on the understanding he won't play every game.

I don't see much point in having both Hudson and Minson on the list next year.

Not sure where people are getting the idea that he is slow from. Moves very well for a big man. Most pleasing thing is that he is a genuinely smart footballer, very dangerous asset for a man of his height to have.

His ruck work is a fair way off. Got the leap and smarts of a ruckman, but he gets knocked around somewhat, and his engine is not real flash. A big preseason will go a long way to helping Ayce in 2012.

I personally think he is more suited as a CHB or key forward for the time being. Looks more comfortable there than in the ruck. Should only be part time rucking in 2012 as he develops. Could provide us with a dangerous goal square forward option, if we put him down that path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back