Strategy Core business

What would you like to see Collingwood achieve most

• Making more money than any other AFL club

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • CFC AFL Winning premierships

Votes: 53 91.4%
  • Collingwood WAFL, Netball, NBL winning premierships at the expense of AFL CFC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A club that provides entertainment to its supporter base

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • A club that is successful across the various codes but not necessarily delivering AFL success

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All sport developed to replace our hunter gatherer lifestyle... hunting is hardwired into our DNA, competition, faster, stronger, more skillful... it all meant something in the past, you lived and died by the hunt and there were heroes, stars and leaders (champions) that thrilled everyone around the camp fire when the stories were told over and over... nothing has really changed, the stories are just told in more sophisticated media and the kill is taken care of at the supermarket... but we still need that thrill of the hunt and sport provides it

I am a fan, not a member. My allegiance to the CFC arose from my parents allegiance. To me it is more like to a religious affiliation than a conscious choice. Behind that allegiance lies a love for the code though, it is not simply an allegiance to CFC regardless of code.

In my experience most human organisations nowadays are driven primarily by survival and growth rather than their prime goal. I think this tendency lies at the core of this debate.

I agree with '76:
Our core business is to provide entertainment and inspiration to a community of people.
Winning Premierships is merely a means to an end. Of course winning Premierships is a great way to achieve the core purpose - but it is not the only way.
However, what has entertained and inspired me since youth has been the VFL/AFL mens team. I can see this sense of entertainment and inspiration grow and encompass AFL women's football but little chance it will extend to CFC teams in other codes. So for me the entertainment and inspiration is linked to a sporting code. I understand the extension into other codes by CFC but frankly it has not impacted on iota on the entertainment or inspiration level being a fan of the pies brings me. It does concern me the bigger we grow the more survival and growth will encompass what should be our prime goal/s.

Many have suggested there is no reason our extension should comprise the AFL mens team. Currently that may be an accurate belief but logic tells me in the future the bigger we grow the greater the chance that compromises will occur, with survival and growth outweighing primary goals.

I feel like you have completely missed the points that are being made by those of us who are saying that Premierships are not the be all and end all of how success should be measured.

The wording on your poll is pretty loaded:
- Collingwood WAFL, Netball, NBL winning premierships at the expense of AFL CFC

There is no evidence at all that those things are mutually exclusive. Nor is there any evidence at all that spending on those other things is in any way detrimental at all to the footy club, or that that money could even be spent directly towards the footy club.

Your poll also seems to ignore what "making more money" actually means. I am pretty sure that Footy Clubs are effectively run as not-for-profits. "Making more money" is not about garnering a greater income... it is about ensuring continued and sustained growth - and is the only way the footy club can actually stay viable, and can strive to be a leader across all sporting codes in this country. Clearly our footy department is in a massive hole right now - but as a business, Collingwood FC would be the envy of pretty much all other clubs in this country in terms of its size, growth and influence.
Happy for you to provide alternate words...

There is overwhelming evidence that businesses that deviate too far from their core strategy are open to risk and prone to defaulting. Read some case studies if you don’t believe me.

We asa club make more money than we can legitimately use, that is unlikely to ever change. We are still the only club to dig ourselves out of a hole with zero AFL assistance we are a juggernaught...but even the big can get overly ambitious and eager. We are Introducing risk where it will have absolutely no benefit to the afl program and will only detract from it.

How does having other teams negatively impact the men’s AFL side?
The one thing that would be common across successful organisations and teams is an unwavering ability to stay focussed on task, and thats from the volunteers to the president! We now have a board that is more focussed on expanding and maximising revenue than actually worrying about what’s happening in the footy department!

How do you think a Mayne oversight happened, 5 footy department bosses in 5 years, drafting hard players but none with skill...the list goes on.

If you’ve ever sat on a board of any description you will know that if your focus is too broad you do everything ok, but nothing well!

Furthermore I take the point that it’s good to have cross fertilisation of training regimes etc. but I feel having more collingwood in the media is generally a bad thing, it is seldom positive news. More media attention is not helpful.

Like any business trying to realise synergies they’ll move to a shared service approach to everything from physios to psychologists. Everybody knows this results in a severe reduction in service to go with cost reduction.

Players need down time, not more media time promoting netball, basketball, AFLW...

If our goal is to maximise profits then yes it makes sense to expand, but there is absolutely nothing that can convince me that expanding into other sports will help us win more AFL premierships.

We did a lot of case studies on this type of thing when I was studying, the evidence is there to show it’s a risky decision to expand when it’s not aligned with your core strategy.

The one thing that would be common across successful organisations and teams is an unwavering ability to stay focussed on task, and thats from the volunteers to the president! We now have a board that is more focussed on expanding and maximising revenue than actually worrying about what’s happening in the footy department!

How do you think a Mayne oversight happened, 5 footy department bosses in 5 years, drafting hard players but none with skill...the list goes on.

If you’ve ever sat on a board of any description you will know that if your focus is too broad you do everything ok, but nothing well!

Furthermore I take the point that it’s good to have cross fertilisation of training regimes etc. but I feel having more collingwood in the media is generally a bad thing, it is seldom positive news. More media attention is not helpful.

Like any business trying to realise synergies they’ll move to a shared service approach to everything from physios to psychologists. Everybody knows this results in a severe reduction in service to go with cost reduction.

Players need down time, not more media time promoting netball, basketball, AFLW...

If our goal is to maximise profits then yes it makes sense to expand, but there is absolutely nothing that can convince me that expanding into other sports will help us win more AFL premierships.

We did a lot of case studies on this type of thing when I was studying, the evidence is there to show it’s a risky decision to expand when it’s not aligned with your core strategy.
In other words, get successful at the core team's core business before looking at whether or not to diversify into other sports - there is a critical distinction between expanding and diversifying ie adding more of the same or starting to do different things

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm yet to hear a logical, fact-based argument on how the club investing in an AFLW, netball or even NBL side hurts the AFL side.

The money that goes into the teams within the club are separate.

The AFL side is spared no expense. They operate at 100% of the football dept cap.

I'm trying to stay away from having petty arguments with people I've never met during the summer (so I can rest up for big arguments in the winter), but this whole topic... it absolutely kills me.

Let this be addressed to anyone out there who thinks a Collingwood netball side means the club is no longer driven for AFL success:

Hey, you. How's your Thursday going?

Listen, don't be a moron. Please.

A sporting club, unlike you, is capable of striving for more than one goal. It's capable of being more than one thing.

Why are you threatened by the club expanding? What makes you think we are no longer interested in seeking the ultimate glory in Australian sport?

Where are the tangible facts you have that support your complaint?

Do you have anything more to say than it's a 'distraction' as an argument?

Do you think Adam Treloar is distracted by Moana Hope as he bursts inside 50 in June and misses the shot at goal?

Do you think Nathan Buckley and Derek Hyne have the netball side on the brain when they recruit Chris Mayne on a 4-year deal?

Why does a few years of failure make you question really, painfully obvious things, like whether a football club is interested in football premierships?

I spent some time living in Barcelona once upon a time and followed the local football club there - you may have heard of them. They have a bloke named Lionel Messi that runs around. Bit of a show off if you ask me.

That sporting club had a professional basketball side, it had women's teams, it had academies and it had ALL sorts of investments that didn't seem to be 100% linked to its pursuit of La Liga Championships... and the strangest thing happened there. The club was a powerhouse. It was a sporting mecca that attracted and fostered the best athletes in the country. I can't remember one Spanish person complaining about the women's team when they would occasionally lose a game. It was almost like their brains were more developed. Like they trusted that a sporting club could be more than one thing and have more than one goal.

Heavy thinking, I know.

Adapt. Evolve. Grow.

Don't get angry when your club embraces more people. It will always remember where it came from and it will always strive to win AFL premierships.

Obviously. Jesus.

I'm yet to hear a logical, fact-based argument on how the club investing in an AFLW, netball or even NBL side hurts the AFL side.

The AFL side is spared no expense. They operate at 100% of the football dept cap.

I'm trying to stay away from having petty arguments with people I've never met during the summer (so I can rest up for big arguments in the winter), but this whole topic... it absolutely kills me.

Let this be addressed to anyone out there who thinks a Collingwood netball side means the club is no longer driven for AFL success:

A sporting club, unlike you, is capable of striving for more than one goal. It's capable of being more than one thing.

Why are you threatened by the club expanding? What makes you think we are no longer interested in seeking the ultimate glory in Australian sport?

Do you think Adam Treloar is distracted by Moana Hope as he bursts inside 50 in June and misses the shot at goal?

Do you think Nathan Buckley and Derek Hyne have the netball side on the brain when they recruit Chris Mayne on a 4-year deal?

Why does a few years of failure make you question really, painfully obvious things, like whether a football club is interested in football premierships?

I spent some time living in Barcelona once upon a time and followed the local football club there - you may have heard of them. They have a bloke named Lionel Messi that runs around. Bit of a show off if you ask me.

That sporting club had a professional basketball side, it had women's teams, it had academies and it had ALL sorts of investments that didn't seem to be 100% linked to its pursuit of La Liga Championships... and the strangest thing happened there. The club was a powerhouse. It was a sporting mecca that attracted and fostered the best athletes in the country. I can't remember one Spanish person complaining about the women's team when they would occasionally lose a game. It was almost like their brains were more developed. Like they trusted that a sporting club could be more than one thing and have more than one goal.

Heavy thinking, I know.

Adapt. Evolve. Grow.

Don't get angry when your club embraces more people. It will always remember where it came from and it will always strive to win AFL premierships.

Obviously. Jesus.
Perhaps learn to read (some of the posts), do some research. It’s in the literature.

Explain to me how we’ve turned over 5 football department heads in as many years, how we signed Mayne the way we did, why we’ve recruited without filling gaps and needs? This to me doesn’t sound like a club that has its s**t in a pile.

One of many bits of tangible evidence or facts. I would maybe look at resolving this issue before spreading focus and attention elsewhere.

Heavy thinking, I know.

Adapt. Evolve. Grow.

Obviously. Jesus.

Why don't we have P&L statements yet?

Let this be addressed to anyone out there who thinks a Collingwood netball side means the club is no longer driven for AFL success: Hey, you. How's your Thursday going? Listen, don't be a moron. Please. A sporting club, unlike you, is capable of striving for more than one goal. It's capable of being more than one thing. Why are you threatened by the club expanding? What makes you think we are no longer interested in seeking the ultimate glory in Australian sport? Where are the tangible facts you have that support your complaint?
Why do you call people who are posting different opinions to you "morons" and intimate that the same people "cannot strive for more than one goal"?

Posters suggesting that Cwood focus on "core business" have not suggested that the Club "is no longer interested in ...."

Do you think Nathan Buckley and Derek Hyne (Hine actually) have the netball side on the brain when they recruit Chris Mayne on a 4-year deal?

These 2 examples don't add to your argument - they probably just detract from it.

PS - just whose brain at Cwood was in gear / operating when they signed Mayne for 4 years?

Last edited:
That's what the tree huggers keep saying........apparently we follow Collingwood because we are socially hip!

Hip to be a square.

Back