Corona virus and other pestilences. Poxes ‘n stuff. Part 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

The advertiser reporting this morning that there have been 939,051 Covid cases and 1624 deaths in SA. In comparison, and Australia wide, there have been 116,473 flu notifications reported to the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System between January 1 to June 25 this year, with 107 influenza-associated deaths. If we accept those statistics Covid is twice as deadly as flu. With both, the reported cases probably represent a small fraction of the actual cases, with the fatality rate of Covid likely to be far less than 1 in 2000 cases and largely confined to a demographic likely to be done in by a stiff breeze.
Yeah I think its pretty clear that covid would be reported way more than twice as much as flu

Since having covid, to the day, my heart rate has been elevated, even when not doing exercise. The other weird thing is that my resting heart rate has dropped below 60bpm. Which is fine if you're an elite athlete, but I'm not an elite athlete.

Fitness is slowly coming back. Not quite where I was prior to getting the virus, but heading in the right direction.

Bit of an update on this.

About 3 months after having covid, I started back into fitness training again, swimming and weights with a bit of bike riding. Really struggled at first. Elevated heart rate and a feeling like there was a hard limit on taking in breath that wasn't there before. Spoke to GP, he said to take it easy but persist with mild exercise until I feel like I've fully recovered.

Kept swimming and doing weights, ended up pushing through the barrier after a couple of months and worked up to doing 2-3km per 45min-60min session 3-4 times per week. Swam in various masters events with including the State LC titles in March this year. Even swam in a 24 hour team relay raising money for MS in February. I swam well and pushed myself hard with excellent results. I thought I was doing a good thing for my fitness. I felt good but exhausted.

Dropped training in May this year due to constant fatigue and thought I just needed some time to rest. Probably the best decision in hindsight. Did no further training over winter and only just started back to weights and bike riding in August.

Then in September I had a weird chest pain that I thought I should get checked, ended up being nothing, but the ECG they ran showed something irregular.

Turns out that anomaly with my heart rate that I experienced 12 months prior, before all the heavy training, was due to a heart flutter, or atrial fibrillation.

So for close to 8 months I was elevating my heart rate into a danger zone for someone with a flutter. My fatigue was directly related to the irregular heart beat and the heart surgeon said I was incredibly lucky to not trigger a heart attack or stroke.

Spent three days in Calvary the weekend of our QF against GWS while they ran some deeper tests, before getting booked in for an ablation, which happened a few weeks ago. Literally a day procedure. Operation was over and done in 30mins recovery was 2 days.

Fatigue gone. Strength back. Feeling better than ever. Even dropped about 5kgs since the operation.

Still a bit reticent to get back in the pool though. Might try this weekend to see if there's a difference.

————
Background info relevant to this thread:
Had 1st and 2nd vax prior to getting covid.
Only had it once and haven't really been sick since getting it either.

Bit of an update on this.

About 3 months after having covid, I started back into fitness training again, swimming and weights with a bit of bike riding. Really struggled at first. Elevated heart rate and a feeling like there was a hard limit on taking in breath that wasn't there before. Spoke to GP, he said to take it easy but persist with mild exercise until I feel like I've fully recovered.

Kept swimming and doing weights, ended up pushing through the barrier after a couple of months and worked up to doing 2-3km per 45min-60min session 3-4 times per week. Swam in various masters events with including the State LC titles in March this year. Even swam in a 24 hour team relay raising money for MS in February. I swam well and pushed myself hard with excellent results. I thought I was doing a good thing for my fitness. I felt good but exhausted.

Dropped training in May this year due to constant fatigue and thought I just needed some time to rest. Probably the best decision in hindsight. Did no further training over winter and only just started back to weights and bike riding in August.

Then in September I had a weird chest pain that I thought I should get checked, ended up being nothing, but the ECG they ran showed something irregular.

Turns out that anomaly with my heart rate that I experienced 12 months prior, before all the heavy training, was due to a heart flutter, or atrial fibrillation.

So for close to 8 months I was elevating my heart rate into a danger zone for someone with a flutter. My fatigue was directly related to the irregular heart beat and the heart surgeon said I was incredibly lucky to not trigger a heart attack or stroke.

Spent three days in Calvary the weekend of our QF against GWS while they ran some deeper tests, before getting booked in for an ablation, which happened a few weeks ago. Literally a day procedure. Operation was over and done in 30mins recovery was 2 days.

Fatigue gone. Strength back. Feeling better than ever. Even dropped about 5kgs since the operation.

Still a bit reticent to get back in the pool though. Might try this weekend to see if there's a difference.

————
Background info relevant to this thread:
Had 1st and 2nd vax prior to getting covid.
Only had it once and haven't really been sick since getting it either.
Glad you have found the cause and had the ablation and that your health has improved. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

The advertiser reporting this morning that there have been 939,051 Covid cases and 1624 deaths in SA. In comparison, and Australia wide, there have been 116,473 flu notifications reported to the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System between January 1 to June 25 this year, with 107 influenza-associated deaths. If we accept those statistics Covid is twice as deadly as flu. With both, the reported cases probably represent a small fraction of the actual cases, with the fatality rate of Covid likely to be far less than 1 in 2000 cases and largely confined to a demographic likely to be done in by a stiff breeze.
My father had a clot form in his retinal artery a short while after an acute covid infection. The sight could not be saved and he is now totally blind in that eye. As covid19 is a vascular disease it is quite possible the two were linked although we will never know.
Deaths aren’t the only things to be counted or considered.

My father had a clot form in his retinal artery a short while after an acute covid infection. The sight could not be saved and he is now totally blind in that eye. As covid19 is a vascular disease it is quite possible the two were linked although we will never know.
With all due respect my man this is exactly the same logic used by the cookers blaming every heart attack on the vaccine.

Deaths aren’t the only things to be counted or considered.

How old is he?

With all due respect my man this is exactly the same logic used by the cookers blaming every heart attack on the vaccine.
I agree cookers instantly blame everything on the vaccine and agree one has to be careful about correlation or causation which is why I didn’t say it WAS covid I said it could be. There is plenty of evidence and reporting of clotting post infection, including retinal artery occlusion. Even his doctor mentioned it as a possibility.

Hadn't heard much about the latest wave over here in WA, but the new Premier and his deputy have both come down with Covid and won't be able to attend the ALP State Conference in person. McGowan would've slammed the borders shut and had us all back in masks by now, so we'll wait and see what the new bloke does...

I agree cookers instantly blame everything on the vaccine and agree one has to be careful about correlation or causation which is why I didn’t say it WAS covid I said it could be. There is plenty of evidence and reporting of clotting post infection, including retinal artery occlusion. Even his doctor mentioned it as a possibility.
It definitely sounds pretty likely to me, especially if he didn't have any eye problems prior to the covid infection, and even moreso if it was a while ago when the variants were stronger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One has to wonder what is RFK’s endgame here?

Appeal to the kook vote.

Its sad because he has some decent ideas but is clearly going down the path to just get as many votes as possible. He's clearly being given a push by people looking to hurt Biden or Trump... it says a lot though that its hard to say which.

My son the teacher tested positive for Covid eight days ago. He was not feeling well, reported to the school admin, took a RAT at work and tested positive. He was told to go home and that he had at least five days Covid leave. When the symptoms had passed he reported for work only to be told that there was no longer any Covid leave for teachers and that he would have to take his time off out of his long service leave.

When he related this to me I told him that next time he should keep it to himself, only take time off if he felt really unwell and tell the Department he had a cold. Teachers are sitting ducks for Covid infection and when they voluntarily report a Covid infection they are bullshitted to and find they are not covered for the mandatory isolation period. The SA Government wonders why teachers are quitting in ever increasing numbers.

Last edited:
My son the teacher tested positive for Covid eight days ago. He was not feeling well, reported to the school admin, took a RAT at work and tested positive. He was told to go home and that he had at least five days Covid leave. When the symptoms had passed he reported for work only to be told that there was no longer any Covid leave for teachers and that he would have to take his time off out of his long service leave.

When he related this to me I told him that next time he should keep it to himself, only take time off if he felt really unwell and tell the Department he had a cold. Teachers are sitting ducks for Covid infection and when they voluntarily report a Covid infection they are bullshitted to and find they are not covered for the mandatory isolation period. The SA Government wonders why teachers are quitting in ever increasing numbers.

Use sick leave?

Use sick leave?

This is the third time he has Covid and he has used all sick leave for 2023 other than one day. If he does not report a future Covid infection I suspect he will not be any orphan as many workers will go to work while infected rather than loose pay.

I realise that teachers are no orphans in this but they are possibly at higher risk of contracting Covid than many as they are in a room with 30 or more kids for long periods. In six weeks the situation should ease as schools will be on holiday and the infection numbers may fall.

Just when we thought it was safe to go back on the water the cruise ship malaise has struck again. The cruise liner Grand Princess bound for Adelaide has multiple cases of Covid 19 and gastro enteritis on board. Reports from passengers suggest that the infection protocols on board ship were far from adequate.

It will be interesting to see what action SA Health and the State and Federal Governments take. I have no doubt that Nicola and SA Health will handle the situation but I am not so confident about Malinauskas and Albanese. There needs to be an inquiry into ship board hygiene practices and if, as the passengers suggest, they were not adequate the cruise line needs to be dealt with. Grand Princess is owned and operated by Carnival Corporation the same company that operated the Ruby Princess back in 2020. It appears that this company has learned nothing in almost four years of sailing with Covid. On that basis alone Albanese needs to take some action.

Just when we thought it was safe to go back on the water the cruise ship malaise has struck again. The cruise liner Grand Princess bound for Adelaide has multiple cases of Covid 19 and gastro enteritis on board. Reports from passengers suggest that the infection protocols on board ship were far from adequate.

It will be interesting to see what action SA Health and the State and Federal Governments take. I have no doubt that Nicola and SA Health will handle the situation but I am not so confident about Malinauskas and Albanese. There needs to be an inquiry into ship board hygiene practices and if, as the passengers suggest, they were not adequate the cruise line needs to be dealt with. Grand Princess is owned and operated by Carnival Corporation the same company that operated the Ruby Princess back in 2020. It appears that this company has learned nothing in almost four years of sailing with Covid. On that basis alone Albanese needs to take some action.

If only we had those nuclear subs built we could use the plague ships as target practice

It’s 2023 not 2020 and the infectious nature of the covid virus is well known as is the ongoing risk it poses to the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. It is now endemic and not going away just like other viruses.

A look at the video of those embarking from that ship shows a large % of passengers are not at the prime of their life. So the question has to be asked wtf are they going on a cruise where the confined spaces and communal facilities are a prime space for disease and virus spread? And we are not talking about just covid here-there was also a gastro outbreak on that ship.

Take responsibility for your own health and realise that going on extended trip in a closed community environment puts you at greater risk of any contagious illness.

It’s 2023 not 2020 and the infectious nature of the covid virus is well known as is the ongoing risk it poses to the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. It is now endemic and not going away just like other viruses.

A look at the video of those embarking from that ship shows a large % of passengers are not at the prime of their life. So the question has to be asked wtf are they going on a cruise where the confined spaces and communal facilities are a prime space for disease and virus spread? And we are not talking about just covid here-there was also a gastro outbreak on that ship.

Take responsibility for your own health and realise that going on extended trip in a closed community environment puts you at greater risk of any contagious illness.

Yes, back in March 2020 the virus was still an unknown entity and there may be been some excuse for mistakes but three years on and knowing what we now know large corporations like Carnival should be better at ensuring the safety of passengers and crew.

Carnival made some mistakes back in 2020 and there was some excuse but there is no excuse for not learning from those mistakes.

I agree that cruising is a high risk activity and I certainly will not be taking a cruise anytime soon. That aside if I did take a cruise I would like to know that I was in safe hands . Alas, I do not think that is the case with Carnival Corporation.

Anthony Albanese cannot turn a blind eye to the possibility that a multi corporation that is not doing all it can to ensure safe systems of work and a safe environment for passengers. He has to at least look at how some cruise lines operate and maybe tighten up the requirements.

UPDATE: Since the ship docked and passengers disembarked there have been conflicting reports. SA Health says the Cruise Line 'handled the situation very well' while passengers are saying the ship 'stank of vomit'.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back