Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 7: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
Nah you are advocating for no impact to you and talking about holidays like its the only reason people travel
I think your mind reading isnt as good as you think

Missing a parents funeral probably counts as an impact on me
Allowing the ronna in probably wont kill me as Im double vaxxed but it will impact others the timeline is forced to coincide with a capitalist festival not with the sufficient vax rate

Health officials are considering reintroducing 14 days’ quarantine for all international arrivals as a precaution against the new Omicron strain of COVID-19 as the first cases in Australia were confirmed in NSW on Sunday and a person who travelled to Victoria was also being tested.

Hotel quarantine back on the cards as Omicron lands in Sydney
By Lucy Carroll and Tom Rabe
The state government is prepared to restart hotel quarantine or ramp up home isolation for international arrivals if the Omicron variant proves a serious threat, as health officials confirmed the strain has arrived in NSW.

Why bother with Hotel Quarantine, we know it doesn't ******* work.

Why don't we have dedicated quarantine centres yet Scotty you fat bald sack of actual human s**t

Not afraid of your garbage "anti troll" social media reforms either campaigner

Beijing: China could face more than 630,000 COVID-19 infections a day if it dropped its zero-tolerance policies by lifting travel curbs, according to a study by Peking University mathematicians.

In the report published in China CDC Weekly by the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, the mathematicians said China could not afford to lift travel restrictions without more efficient vaccinations or specific treatments.

Using data for August from the United States, Britain, Spain, France and Israel, the mathematicians assessed the potential results if China adopted the same pandemic control tactics as those countries.

The match was called off 90 minutes before kick-off, with Australians, Japanese and South Africans among the group who returned positive tests.
The invitational Barbarians side, coached by Wallabies boss Dave Rennie, were to play Manu Samoa at Twickenham.

Three Wallabies players are in isolation after contracting COVID-19 in the lead up to the aborted Barbarians match in London.

Six people from the Barbarians set up, including four players and two staff, tested positive for COVID-19 in the days before the clash, forcing host union England to call off the fixture on Sunday morning (AEDT) over public health concerns.

Living with covid

Wonder how the AFL will cope next year ???

Inquiries for overseas trips fell “off a cliff” following this weekend’s border shutdowns because of fears about the new omicron COVID-19 variant, the travel sector says.

“This is the worst-case scenario that we’re experiencing since they’ve reopened the border,” Australian Federation of Travel Agents chief executive Dean Long said.

“The No. 1 barrier to people booking travel was the fear of not returning home. Then on Saturday, our clients’ worst fear came to fruition.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who saw all this coming hey?

New "variant" and the most brainwashed people of australia lose their minds. Just a few more weeks 😂😂😂. FMD, is anything going to allow your feeble little minds move on
This isn't a small percentage of people either, outside of NSW and VIC the rest of the country is petrified of the thought of living a normal life when there's covid cases.

I have friends outside of Victoria that ask me if I'm concerned attending sporting matches or going to a pub when there's thousands of positive cases.

It doesn't even register a thought with everyone I know here anymore.

Two passengers flying into Sydney on Saturday night from southern Africa have tested positive for the dangerous Omicron variant of Covid-19.
The two positive cases, who were asymptomatic, are in isolation. Both people are fully vaccinated.

Queensland’s acting chief health officer has been unable to guarantee the state’s borders will fully reopen as planned due to the emergence of the Omicron super-variant.

It comes after three new Covid cases.

The new cases were linked to interstate arrivals who tested positive on their first day in Queensland.
******* NSW.

The Southern Africa travel bans are more racist populism than effective measure

At this point we should be asking why our first response is lock the doors again.
Just an easy way to appease the masses and make it look like they’re doing something useful.

Reminds me of March 2020 when travel rules starting popping up for returned travellers from China. Yeah that was sure to be useful. We’ll just conveniently ignore how quickly it had already spread worldwide.

The UK and US bringing in travel bans on the basis of stopping any sort of Covid coming in while they deal with so much Covid already is comedy gold.

Here in Australia it’s bloody bizarre considering the high levels of vaccination. If this is how we plan to continually carry on about new variants then I can’t see Australia being a safe place and expect to re-enter for years to come.

It's not 'fear pr0n' to be cautious, and we need more data on this variant before the appropriate response can be mapped out. The two big questions that will take 2-4 weeks to get data on are:

1. Does this variant cause severe disease in the same proportions as earlier variants?

2. Do current vaccinations confer a sufficient level of immunity/protection against severe disease despite the numerous mutations?

In answer to point 1, despite the early hope that Omicron would only cause mild disease based on the comment of a single doctor, there is unfortunately evidence that hospitalisations in Gauteng province are rising at a similar rate to infections with an expected time lag (1-2 weeks):

1638127876499.png

We'll have to wait a little longer for answers to point 2 - there is no data yet on the proportion of those hospitalised that have/have not been vaccinated.

It's not 'fear pr0n' to be cautious, and we need more data on this variant before the appropriate response can be mapped out. The two big questions that will take 2-4 weeks to get data on are:

1. Does this variant cause severe disease in the same proportions as earlier variants?

2. Do current vaccinations confer a sufficient level of immunity/protection against severe disease despite the numerous mutations?

In answer to point 1, despite the early hope that Omicron would only cause mild disease based on the comment of a single doctor, there is unfortunately evidence that hospitalisations in Gauteng province are rising at a similar rate to infections with an expected time lag (1-2 weeks):

View attachment 1289155

We'll have to wait a little longer for answers to point 2 - there is no data yet on the proportion of those hospitalised that have/have not been vaccinated.

Um we don’t want data and analysis, we just want headlines.

View attachment 1289155

Only 24% of South Africa's population is fully vaxxed, so a surge in any variant was always going to problematic for them.

One of Australia’s leading economists is urging the federal government to consider slugging unvaccinated people with higher Medicare fees to help repair the budget and pay for the pandemic’s ongoing toll on the healthcare system.

“If they choose not to be vaccinated that’s their choice, but it imposes a higher burden on the medical system.”

“Where our choices affect others we do tend to have higher taxes, costs and regulatory burdens,” Mr Richardson said, listing higher tobacco taxes and gambling restrictions among them.

“It’s well established that when choices come at a cost to everyone else the system tries to rectify that.”

Former NSW premier Bob Carr, who recently said Australia should follow this approach. (Singapores)

“You ignored warnings and got the disease. You pay for your wilful stupidity, not the rest of us,” he said.

This isn't a small percentage of people either, outside of NSW and VIC the rest of the country is petrified of the thought of living a normal life when there's covid cases.

I have friends outside of Victoria that ask me if I'm concerned attending sporting matches or going to a pub when there's thousands of positive cases.

It doesn't even register a thought with everyone I know here anymore.
Doesnt register a thought for anyone i know in SA. Unfortunately decision makers keep bowing down to the countries most afraid like the ones in this thread...

Hawkie and is ilk never want life to return for anyone. That much is obvious. The great equaliser is dragging everyone else down to their level

Doesnt register a thought for anyone i know in SA. Unfortunately decision makers keep bowing down to the countries most afraid like the ones in this thread...

Hawkie and is ilk never want life to return for anyone. That much is obvious. The great equaliser is dragging everyone else down to their level
lol
Because a 2 week wait and see is way worse than a let it rip and oops we underestimated this one ?

Im saying bring back quarantine and reduce inbounds until you know after 2 weeks....so is a lot of the world....obviously not in your world

lol
Because a 2 week wait and see is way worse than a let it rip and oops we underestimated this one ?

Im saying bring back quarantine and reduce inbounds until you know after 2 weeks....so is a lot of the world....obviously not in your world
quarantine yes, close borders no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back