Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 7: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
NSW omicron case may have travelled to Victoria
A traveller who landed in NSW from an African country of concern and is a suspected omicron case travelled to Victoria before returning to NSW.

The Victorian health department is investigating the traveller’s movements and contacting their close contacts, in case they were in Victoria while infectious.

AFR
They made a movie about this it’s called Groundhog Day.

That's exactly my point. We need to agree on a threshold for which any disease would be deemed unimportant enough to ignore by the general population aside from the usual advice of not going to work when sick and spreading it around the office.

We existed in that prior to covid-19 without putting a metric on it. Now we are in covid-19 we need to draw that line at which we are comfortable.

Just the same as we do with the amount of alcohol in someone's system or speed limits on country roads while driving.

We don't need to know anything about the new variant yet, but we do need to the know the point at which we deem it to no longer be worthy of intervention so that when the virus, as all long term viruses do, becomes a highly transmissible but almost entirely not dangerous part of our regular cold/flu season, we can call time on the pandemic.

Currently we are afraid of a single case in WA. We can all agree that alpha covid is not as easy to spread but not as dangerous as delta, all covid cases are not equal and when we have a variant of covid that meets the markers for moving on we need to be able to push the button on that.

There are a lot of people heavily invested in maintaining the fear, not medical - media and political. Put the level in before the data and it's objective. Put the metric in before the data and it's moved to suit the needs of those invested in maintaining their current paradigm.

It's going to take quite a lot of work to get people back from the cliff edge of fear over covid-19 as it is.
Its rare that i think you make any sense or even write something thats decipherable but i actually understand and agree with you here.

If this variant is only as bad as a common cold then we shouldnt let it affect shutdowns etc. and theres no reason we cant state that now (if the data then says its actually worse than delta, we obviously gonna shut down).

That's exactly my point. We need to agree on a threshold for which any disease would be deemed unimportant enough to ignore by the general population aside from the usual advice of not going to work when sick and spreading it around the office.

We existed in that prior to covid-19 without putting a metric on it. Now we are in covid-19 we need to draw that line at which we are comfortable.

Just the same as we do with the amount of alcohol in someone's system or speed limits on country roads while driving.

We don't need to know anything about the new variant yet, but we do need to the know the point at which we deem it to no longer be worthy of intervention so that when the virus, as all long term viruses do, becomes a highly transmissible but almost entirely not dangerous part of our regular cold/flu season, we can call time on the pandemic.

Currently we are afraid of a single case in WA. We can all agree that alpha covid is not as easy to spread but not as dangerous as delta, all covid cases are not equal and when we have a variant of covid that meets the markers for moving on we need to be able to push the button on that.

There are a lot of people heavily invested in maintaining the fear, not medical - media and political. Put the level in before the data and it's objective. Put the metric in before the data and it's moved to suit the needs of those invested in maintaining their current paradigm.

It's going to take quite a lot of work to get people back from the cliff edge of fear over covid-19 as it is.
I get what you are saying but what is the measure you are using to determine worthy of intervention?

We had high covid numbers in Melbourne before the protests. You'll need to do more to establish a link.
It’s a tricky one as many of the protestors wouldn’t want to be tested if they had symptoms (don’t believe in the virus / don’t feel like they should be tested) and many could be asymptomatic. Didn’t see any masks amongst the protestors who probably numbered in the 10-20k region, shoulder to shoulder so I won’t be surprised if the official number is only tip of the iceberg.

Just a few weeks - where have we heard that before :tearsofjoy:

At some point the pathetic losers afraid of everything can stay inside and the rest of us can crack on. Perfect for all. They go back to their pitiful existence scared of letting unvaccinated tradies into their house and we go back to being normal
Have you visited NSW or Victoria lately?

I get what you are saying but what is the measure you are using to determine worthy of intervention?
Ultimately none of us are qualified to answer that, i can recall (and im happy to be told im wrong) Dan or some other leader stating that even one death from COVID was unnacceptable and thinking that was just absurd, we dont apply that level of rigor to anything. We dont want anyone dying but if were locking down and blowing another 6-12 months of economy and school etc for something that probably wont kill anyone but the most sick and frail that would seem a poor outcome to me.

Ultimately none of us are qualified to answer that, i can recall (and im happy to be told im wrong) Dan or some other leader stating that even one death from COVID was unnacceptable and thinking that was just absurd, we dont apply that level of rigor to anything. We dont want anyone dying but if were locking down and blowing another 6-12 months of economy and school etc for something that probably wont kill anyone but the most sick and frail that would seem a poor outcome to me.
Bring forward booster shots. Six months is too big a gap especially if your first vaccinations were AstraZeneca.

That's the point we need to agree on.

Hospitalisation rate would be the most useful. We can use historical, as in 2000 to 2019 data, on other widespread infectious diseases as a guide.

not saying we are but if someone is bringing up a topic I'd like some clarity about how they think it might work

we talk about a lot of things we aren't qualified to on here lets be honest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pz is less effective long term than AZ.
Do you have the data to back that up ?

iu

Last edited:
I posted it in part 6 thread, be my guess to look for it. It was efficacy at 9 month and 12 months.

There is a reason why the UK is tracking better during this winter than their European counterparts because of the higher uptake of AZ. Provides more durable T cell protection.
More likely they jabbed earlier and had their blow out earlier while the rest of Europe was doing ok

Is all about timing and waning efficacy and then a slow build up of herd immunity then more waning efficacy a roller coaster and everyone is on a different time line. Germany will recover and the UK will go into the next peak before them rinse and repeat

You will see in a few months when NSW and Victoria will have their blow outs earlier than Qld NT and WA.....all to do with timing of jabs

Jab rate also plays a part as there are more or less easy pathways for the virus to spread

Two additional cases of the new Omicron variant of concern have been confirmed in recent international arrivals in Sydney.

The two cases, who were reported as suspected cases of the variant this morning, arrived on Singapore Airlines flight SQ211 yesterday and tested positive on arrival.

People on this flight are considered close contacts of a COVID-19 case and will be contacted by NSW Health.

The travellers had both recently been in southern Africa and were fully vaccinated.

SMH

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has expressed concern about the number of international travellers not in hotel quarantine across the country before a special meeting of national cabinet to address the risk posed by the emerging Omicron COVID-19 variant.

Ms Palaszczuk told reporters in Brisbane she took comfort in the fact hotel quarantine was still mandatory for international arrivals in Queensland, unlike NSW and Victoria

SMH

Two additional cases of the new Omicron variant of concern have been confirmed in recent international arrivals in Sydney.

The two cases, who were reported as suspected cases of the variant this morning, arrived on Singapore Airlines flight SQ211 yesterday and tested positive on arrival.

People on this flight are considered close contacts of a COVID-19 case and will be contacted by NSW Health.

The travellers had both recently been in southern Africa and were fully vaccinated.

SMH
4D00D4C4-E08B-4EAE-B045-68732E31A938.gif

Nineteen people who attended the Melbourne “freedom” protests in November have tested positive for coronavirus, with one unvaccinated protester admitted to hospital.

Am I missing something with this Omnicron variant? Apparently it's extremely mild and there are virtually no symptoms? Or is that fake news? What the * has the world become lol.

Wow - I’m so surprised…not. Probably plenty of the ‘free-dumbs’ who won’t get tested as well

View attachment 1289388

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Who cares? 5 times more cases have been linked to a Caravan manufacturer in the northern suburbs.

There'll be many cases linked to every event where a large crowd is.

Am I missing something with this Omnicron variant? Apparently it's extremely mild and there are virtually no symptoms? Or is that fake news? What the fu** has the world become lol.

One doctor in SA noted that symptoms are very mild amongst the vaxxinated. Naturally people are reporting this as "Omicron is mild!" Instead of "Omicron may kill you if you're not vaccinated"

Am I missing something with this Omnicron variant? Apparently it's extremely mild and there are virtually no symptoms? Or is that fake news? What the fu** has the world become lol.

It's based off the one doctor in South Africa.

It may very well be the case it's mild (I think we all are hoping for that), but it's a tiny sample size. Heck, no one in the world even knew it existed last week. We can only find out in time (maybe in a few weeks) what exactly we're dealing with when it comes to omicron.

Either way, there is still no valid argument against not getting vaccinated, even if they may have been designed for delta - there is without a doubt still some level of efficacy with vaccines no matter what COVID variant (so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back