Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep we all worked pre-COVID with someone who comes in sick.
Either as they do not want to use up sick days or to show they really care about work they come in half dead.
I worked with a few people who looked at it you get 20 days annual leave and 10 days off.
I mean I worked with people who didn't get sick leave at a few places, can understand why they were coming in

other places did their best to make it real tough to use your sick leave to encourage you to work

but there are just people out there who don't give a s**t about getting other people sick at all

we've got family that would rather get everyone sick than miss out on something, shits me no end

Calm down, not everyone’s a saint like you. Even me 😇 😁
I'm not a saint but people that actively don't give a s**t about the impact of their actions on others can * right off and I'm going to tell them to * right off

I mean I worked with people who didn't get sick leave at a few places, can understand why they were coming in

other places did their best to make it real tough to use your sick leave to encourage you to work

but there are just people out there who don't give a sh*t about getting other people sick at all

we've got family that would rather get everyone sick than miss out on something, shits me no end

A family friend brought their 2 year old along to a beach holiday last Christmas. The child had gastro.

Everyone is pretty confident they knew the child was sick prior to coming.

The attendees were not pleased. I doubt they were thinking "oh thank god my immune system has been topped up".

What if people in your office have sporting finals coming up? Weddings or trips away? Or they live or are close to people who do? You could really stuff things up for someone else.

Or imagine you did and some twat comes in coughing and spluttering all over the place. Just so selfish.

My kids had heaps of coughs and colds as toddlers. It was never a problem. I never took days off for a cold if they gave it to me. But, yes, it was good for them, they are very healthy teenagers.

Show up at my employer (and plenty of others too) these days knowingly sick and you'll get a written warning.

Do it a second time and it is adios.

It's 2022 fella, not the 1950's where they rubbed butter on burns.

there are people that can't avoid risks and then there are the dickheads who think its all a joke

he's in camp b, I figure you to be as well

selfish pricks the lot of you
It's not about me, or you. It's about what's best for humanity.
Selfish pricks are the ones who want to shut down society at the sign of a sniffle for their personal motives. Fear, preferring WFH, not wanting a daily trip to the city etc

It's not about me, or you. It's about what's best for humanity.
Selfish pricks are the ones who want to shut down society at the sign of a sniffle for their personal motives. Fear, preferring WFH, not wanting a daily trip to the city etc

There's the disingenuous thing again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankfully we spread colds prior to covid..

See... once again with the disingenuous thing...

Your free to presume whatever you like. Despite it being continually wrong.

You've openly admitted you go to work sick, and believe it's good for your co-workers. And the same for sending children to childcare.

Then you try to label it as somehow good for society, which is disingenuous.

I’d openly admit to going to work when I was sick pre covid and I’d also openly admit it was a stupid practice in hindsight. Just because we did something before we knew better doesn’t make it the right thing to do.

I'd have to be fairly sick to not come to work .. OR, gastro. I never try to push through that, haha.

But you're right, this just means in the future we become more considerate about these choices and by extension, employers realise they can't be that person who guilts employees in to working when they think they shouldn't.

I’d openly admit to going to work when I was sick pre covid and I’d also openly admit it was a stupid practice in hindsight. Just because we did something before we knew better doesn’t make it the right thing to do.
Yep. I worked one job for 8 years and had one sick day in that whole time, where I got so wrecked from hayfever that I could barely breathe.

Very dumb in hindsight

There's the presumptuous thing again.
The irony here is how presumptuous your post was in assuming that everyone who has taken steps to avoid infectious diseases and viruses is doing so because they live in fear or want to work from home. You’ve managed to be disengenous and presumptuous all at once.

I'd have to be fairly sick to not come to work .. OR, gastro. I never try to push through that, haha.

But you're right, this just means in the future we become more considerate about these choices and by extension, employers realise they can't be that person who guilts employees in to working when they think they shouldn't.
Covid has led to a massive increase in remote working capability - I'd suggest people who have a cold will now be encouraged to work from home in those instances

Covid has led to a massive increase in remote working capability - I'd suggest people who have a cold will now be encouraged to work from home in those instances

Certainly at my work we've had a number of staff call in to work from home when they're a little off but not unwell enough to need time off, has opened up a lot more flexibility and meant people who would have pushed through and come to work, can not do that.

Sick days are down in general as well, as we don't get that run of staff off as something sweeps through the office.

That's called evolving as a human being mate. We all did it.

It doesn't make it right though. There are plenty of ways to pick up the germs/parasites required of natural immunity. It is just plain selfish to go to work or send kids to school knowingly ill. The cave-dwellers don't get it, their tiny brains have not evolved.

You've openly admitted you go to work sick, and believe it's good for your co-workers. And the same for sending children to childcare.

Then you try to label it as somehow good for society, which is disingenuous.
Pre existing immunity saved millions of people's lives. You may not think that's good for society. But I do.

Pre existing immunity saved millions of people's lives. You may not think that's good for society. But I do.
Ill remember to tell that to the guy that lost his job because he had no sick days left and had to collect his kid from school because someone like you decided you knew what was best for his family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back