Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF?

When my mother died my father and I discovered that some of the meat in our freezer had been there for up to 10 years. Neither of us experienced any adverse effects from eating the meat my mother had stored years past the advised freezer time. My father lived to 93. I suspect that cryovacing is just another form of nannying - caution that extends way beyond the limits of reasonable necessity.
Nah. It enables you to eat meat that has been in the fridge rather than the freezer for ten years.

P.S. In a warm year when more ice than normal melted, eskimo tribes useed to eat any frozen woolly mammoth that they came across

If you wanted to remove teeth, you could have just fed them baguettes from the Woodfrog bakery in St Kilda.
We tried that, but then they whinged about the bakery incessantly.

It was better for all to just knock the teeth out.

Nah. It enables you to eat meat that has been in the fridge rather than the freezer for ten years.

P.S. In a warm year when more ice than normal melted, eeskimo tribs would eat any frozen woolly mammoth that they came across
We live and learn.
We tried that, but then they whinged about the bakery incessantly.

It was better for all to just knock the teeth out.
Did you use a hammer or pull them out with pliers?

I need me a loophole. Where have they all gone?

The funny thing is that I grew up around sheep, worked in shearing sheds for pocket money, but had never heard the word until I saw it on a wanky menu about 4 years ago. Bloody foodies, it won't be long before we no longer eat lamb, but instead eat Suffolk, merino or Romney.
Or Wiltshire.

Copy+%284%29+of+3+wh+sheep+%282%29.jpg

tenor.gif

Or Wiltshire.

Copy+%284%29+of+3+wh+sheep+%282%29.jpg

tenor.gif
Is that your sheep of choice? My dad loved cross-breads. He used to bore me to tears with the benefits of combining the advantages of one breed with another breeds advantages. We usually had Suffolk rams, I can't remember what ewes he favoured - white ones.

Is that your sheep of choice? My dad loved cross-breads. He used to bore me to tears with the benefits of combining the advantages of one breed with another breeds advantages. We usually had Suffolk rams, I can't remember what ewes he favoured - white ones.
Nah not cessa nessa. Just happened to be the breed that was recommended to me when I moved here.

Good meat sheep, self shedders (so no shearing required) & don't have fly strike or probs around the backside. You can even leave the tails on but most people take them off, as do I, just in case.

I'm biased, I think they taste fantastic!

WTF?

When my mother died my father and I discovered that some of the meat in our freezer had been there for up to 10 years. Neither of us experienced any adverse effects from eating the meat my mother had stored years past the advised freezer time. My father lived to 93. I suspect that cryovacing is just another form of nannying - caution that extends way beyond the limits of reasonable necessity.

TGG think of it as vacuum sealing it, it's innovative packaging that lets you keep meat longer without having to freeze and defrost.

Nothing Big Ears nanny state about it. :)

P.S: I ate my fair share of frozen meat in the army and did not die, but it's not the same as fresh.

Nah not cessa nessa. Just happened to be the breed that was recommended to me when I moved here.

Good meat sheep, self shedders (so no shearing required) & don't have fly strike or probs around the backside. You can even leave the tails on but most people take them off, as do I, just in case.

I'm biased, I think they taste fantastic!

Is that you Gil?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lemon garlic in a plastic bag? Don't tell anyone from the birthplace of democracy

Result was underwhelming. Walking into a butcher on a Sunday morning without a plan of action leads to poor outcomes. A lesson I keep attending but not absorbing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TGG think of it as vacuum sealing it, it's innovative packaging that lets you keep meat longer without having to freeze and defrost.

Nothing Big Ears nanny state about it. :)

P.S: I ate my fair share of frozen meat in the army and did not die, but it's not the same as fresh.
Like the supermarket meat in the claustrophobically tight packs, that require the use of a knife to open, but are good in the fridge for weeks?

Result was underwhelming. Walking into a butcher on a Sunday morning without a plan of action leads to poor outcomes. A lesson I keep attending but not absorbing.
Congrats for buying neat at butcher and not supermarket - I try and avoid butchers' pre made marinades - come out of a big bucket - but that's just me

Congrats for buying neat at butcher and not supermarket - I try and avoid butchers' pre made marinades - come out of a big bucket - but that's just me

I hear you on the bucket. Was just lazy. I might have to self-flagellate. Having something to do with meat people, supermarket product can be very good if you pick the right stuff.

I hear you on the bucket. Was just lazy. I might have to self-flagellate. Having something to do with meat people, supermarket product can be very good if you pick the right stuff.

1. Might have to self-flagellate? You know you must repent sideswipe.
2. Trudat. Supermarket product is as good (if not better due to their buying power). Australians enjoy the finest meat in the world and our supermarkets have priority choice.

2. Trudat. Supermarket product is as good (if not better due to their buying power). Australians enjoy the finest meat in the world and our supermarkets have priority choice.
Nah, organic meat from the market is the best

Posters with little interest in either sheep or those who tend them would feel alienated from the stated theme of this thread.

The discussion has moved from pedantic punctuation/apostrophe arguments about how many shepherds are required to cook and consume a pie, to the technical classification of sheep in terms of age and breed.

On the one hand we have sr36 fessing up to being the product of a sheep farming family, rattling off the names of a few breeds of sheep, but then not knowing facts seemingly fundamental to anyone purporting to be steeped in sheep, including the colour of his sheep and what you're meant to call them.

Then there's OA arguing the merits of a particularly tasty breed of self-shearing sheep that share their name with a brand of locally made knives, and are particularly prized for the high standard of anal hygiene they maintain.

Now we've moved onto the benefits of supermarket versus butcher's sheep meat and how to preserve it indefinitely in cryovacs.

It's even been suggested that a successful visit to a butchers requires the formulation of a plan of action, not simply a list of cuts the wife has given you to buy, making the purchase of a piece of meat like mounting a military campaign.

Nibbling at the edge of the discussion has been some unsettling revelations of sadistic practices designed to add or subtract years from a sheep's age.

The footy can't start soon enough!

Last edited:
Posters with little interest in either sheep or those who tend them would feel alienated from the stated theme of this thread.

The discussion has moved from pedantic punctuation/apostrophe arguments about how many shepherds are required to consume a pie, to the technical classification of sheep in terms of age and breed.

On the one hand we have sr36 fessing up to being the product of a sheep farming family, rattling off the names of a few breeds of sheep, but then not knowing facts seemingly fundamental to anyone purporting to be steeped in sheep, including the colour of his sheep and what you're meant to call them.

Then there's OA arguing the merits of a breed of sheep the rest of us only know as locally made sharp knives.

Now we've moved onto the benefits of supermarket versus butcher's sheep meat and how to preserve it indefinitely in cryovaced packaging. It's even been suggested that a successful visit to a butchers requires the formulation of a plan of action, not simply a list of cuts the wife has given you to buy.

Nibbling at the edge of the discussion has been revelations of sadistic practices designed to add or subtract years from a sheep's age.

The footy can't start soon enough!
Footy might be good but it can never replace this thread
PS loved Craig Bellamy's comment after Storm's loss - along the lines of "some mental attitude adjustment is required"

Aussie meat is generally awesome and best overall, but Argentinian beef is pretty mind blowing. and Asia understands pork better than we do. .

Remembrance of Dogs Past Part 1

My sister bought a mongrel in the UK (looks half German Shepherd x kelpie)

She begged Dad to pay for it to be flown to Australia when she repatriated

QANTAS quote: $8,000

Dad told her to get the beast cryovaced and he'd pay

Sister begged some more and Dad relented

Dad drove Sister to pick-up Dog after it spent weeks in quarantine

Within seconds of being de-caged, Dog raced to Dad and bit his leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back