Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. The real problem is that they can't make it quick enough to satisfy demand. The temp is an issue for the developing world, but not really for Aust.
The real issue is the fact that the Pfizer vaccine has to be frozen before use. Once thawed it has to be mixed with a saline solution, then it has to be administered in 6 hours or you throw it away.The Oxford vaccine can be stored in Jmacs fridge (be quick before he visits Dans to restock) and therefore is able to be administered directly from the fridge.
One is better clearly, but this is an emergency rollout and 2nd best will do this year.

Given this is a dispute between the consortium and a sub contractor, and is over a technical issue, what you are suggesting is akin to the minister acting as construction manager, a recipe for disaster if ever I’ve heard one.

The tender process is where the minister assesses risk to the taxpayer, from the appointment of an expert panel to draft the tender brief and act as assessors through to practical completion, followed by expressions of interest, shortlisting, tendering, preferred tenderer and finally financial close and appointment of a contract superintendent. It’s an exhaustive process.

The selection of a GMP contract is specifically to shield the taxpayer from variations and unforeseen conditions such as has occurred here. The consortium factors in contingency into the contract to cover these issues that can be a premium up to 20% on the contract price.

I’ve been involved in around a dozen PPP’s on both sides of the fence, having the minister involved in the day to day running of a project invites a thousand ways things could go **** up, best to leave that to the professionals.
There are very few ministers in any government that actually understand their portfolios. Because there are very few ministers who have had a lifetime of study and employment on these fields.
This is the system we have. And it only works if the ministers ego is small enough to take advice from those who have spent a lifetime of study and employment in that field.
No wonder we are screwed, globally.

Because today, we are on track to end lockdown.
Tomorrow if 20 cases pop up, we are down for two weeks.
How do people not understand how this thing plays out?
I understand that if 20 cases pop up tomorrow that something has gone horribly amiss in our plague protection system. But after a personally disastrous decision making day, I am going to keep my powder dry until a genuine opportunity arises to fire off a few shots. Let's see what tomorrow and the day after bring.

There are very few ministers in any government that actually understand their portfolios. Because there are very few ministers who have had a lifetime of study and employment on these fields.
This is the system we have. And it only works if the ministers ego is small enough to take advice from those who have spent a lifetime of study and employment in that field.
Part of the problem may be the quality of advice coming from bureaucrats - partic those who cannot remember a thing when cross examined in an important enquiry

Politics 101. The power of the department head and public service advice.

Because today, we are on track to end lockdown.
Tomorrow if 20 cases pop up, we are down for two weeks.
How do people not understand how this thing plays out?
I forgot this hyper infective virus is moving at hyper speeds and is infecting hyper amounts of Victorians.
seriously - get the kids back to school and re start community sport

Don't believe I said ministers should be across the day to day stuff. There's delays on that project and the govt is not accountable for anything?

Well this was a subcontractor doing their balls by not allowing for sufficient contingency, can’t see how that’s a government issue. The consortium is holding the subby to their submitted price, can’t see how that is a government issue. And as it currently stands the consortium hasn’t submitted for an extension of time, thus delays are hypothetical and media speculation. That may or may not change later but currently the consortium says they will hit deadlines, I have a mate on that project I’ll ask him, although he might not be able to tell me anything due to commercial in confidence.

No I do not see how the government is responsible, it’s actually a good thing that they opted for a GMP contract over the usual cost + that PPP’s usually operate under.

This is a real bugbear of mine, it happens on nearly every project, because governments operate on an election cycle, consortiums will use that political pressure to threaten governments with delay or legal dispute to what amounts as a shakedown.

Just once I’d like to see a government, any government, hold these consortiums to their contractual obligations, of course that will never happen as the media love to scandalise and thus misinform the electorate of the nature of these disputes.

I know of two projects where the banks that were part of the consortiums refused to release funds, the insurers just flat out refused to pay, and the government, very quietly stumped up costing taxpayers billions. This to me is more unacceptable than potential delays.

The real issue is the fact that the Pfizer vaccine has to be frozen before use. Once thawed it has to be mixed with a saline solution, then it has to be administered in 6 hours or you throw it away.The Oxford vaccine can be stored in Jmacs fridge (be quick before he visits Dans to restock) and therefore is able to be administered directly from the fridge.
One is better clearly, but this is an emergency rollout and 2nd best will do this year.
That all makes it more expensive, but still incredibly cheap compared to lockdown. The problem is they can't get enough orders filled soon enough to avoid more lockdowns

Part of the problem may be the quality of advice coming from bureaucrats - partic those who cannot remember a thing when cross examined in an important enquiry
The worst thing is that I'm certain there's been a previous intervention where the difference between inquiry and enquiry was explained. It's been Victoria's word of the year FFS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you are right- despite all available evidence suggesting that is not required. What a debacle
I think it will be extended because we don’t have all available evidence.

2 new local cases today
Both close contacts of existing cases and already in quarantine.

There has been no spread outside of immediate known contacts from this cluster so far.

If the figures tomorrow (gathered today) confirm no unknown spread then you can be reasonably confident that the lockdown will end as planned on Wednesday night.

There has been no spread outside of immediate known contacts from this cluster so far.

If the figures tomorrow (gathered today) confirm no unknown spread then you can be reasonably confident that the lockdown will end as planned on Wednesday night.
Certainly hope so, not confident though. Think they will be very cautious and extend by a few days.

Andrews said yesterday it wasn't about numbers rather containment. That it still hasn't spread outside friends, family and co-workers says that this wasn't lockdown was a knee-jerk over reaction and it's continuation (even today and tomorrow) is unfounded.

Chief health officer or whoever provided this advice to Andrews has got it wrong and needs to be sacked.

Certainly hope so, not confident though. Think they will be very cautious and extend by a few days.

It would be hard to understand the government's reasoning for extending stage 4 restrictions if the Hotel Inn outbreak numbers remain as they are and this doesn't extend beyond close contacts.

It would seem we dodged a bullet. Not that Victoria wasn't due some luck.

Last edited:
Andrews said yesterday it wasn't about numbers rather containment. That it still hasn't spread outside friends, family and co-workers says that this wasn't lockdown was a knee-jerk over reaction and it's continuation (even today and tomorrow) is unfounded.

Chief health officer or whoever provided this advice to Andrews has got it wrong and needs to be sacked.
Maybe the lockdown has helped prevent transmission? They did the same thing in Queensland and WA when there were leaks from quarantine of the UK strain, in both those states there didn't end up being any mystery community spread either (from memory).

Sutton won't get sacked for being rightly cautious. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think people in general (not having a pot at you) are focussing too much on the lockdown now and not on the biggest issue which is the continual leaks from our quarantine.

Maybe the lockdown has helped prevent transmission? They did the same thing in Queensland and WA when there were leaks from quarantine of the UK strain, in both those states there didn't end up being any mystery community spread either (from memory).

Sutton won't get sacked for being rightly cautious. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think people in general (not having a pot at you) are focussing too much on the lockdown now and not on the biggest issue which is the continual leaks from our quarantine.

It was in the news that Lindsay Fox is in talks with the state government re: Q camps. Hotel Q isn't working and has already brought the state to its knees once.

As close contacts they should have already been in isolation, so by extension this lockdown hasn’t prevented a single case. I agree though that being rightly cautious starts with a risk assessment on international arrivals. Can’t keeping hitting Vics with a stick when there’s a flutter of cases amongst hq workers. Either live with flutters (stay open), which will continue to happen on occasion while the border remains open or don’t accept international arrivals.

It was in the news that Lindsay Fox is in talks with the state government re: Q camps. Hotel Q isn't working and has already brought the state to its knees once.
Outdoor quarantine facilities will mitigate the risk by providing workers better ventilation, but there will still be a risk.

Has to be better than busing people into the middle of a city though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back